Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Liverpool Rumours And General Discussion 2007/2008

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,095 ✭✭✭zing

6mins to go - so so boring

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,139 ✭✭✭flanzer

It's more like a pre-season game....

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,942 ✭✭✭missingtime

82 mins: Ebondo has picked up a knock chasing down a throughball and he hobbles off to be replaced by Sissoko. That's annoying - two Sissokos. Two M. Sissoko's at that. For clarity, Mo Sissoko is Liverpool's, Mou Sissoko is Toulouse's. That's not particularly clear, so let's hope they don't do much in these last few minutes. They're both number 22 as well.

Another from that sporting life site..

blow the whistle and put us out of our misery

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,678 ✭✭✭✭machiavellianme

82 mins: Ebondo has picked up a knock chasing down a throughball and he hobbles off to be replaced by Sissoko. That's annoying - two Sissokos. Two M. Sissoko's at that. For clarity, Mo Sissoko is Liverpool's, Mou Sissoko is Toulouse's. That's not particularly clear, so let's hope they don't do much in these last few minutes. They're both number 22 as well.

Another from that sporting life site..

And theyre both appear to be fond of reckless tackles. Moussa Sissoko was only on the pitch 5 minutes before getting a yellow. Anyway, its all over now. Away goal in the bag and the home game to look forward to.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 88,972 ✭✭✭✭mike65

Job done. Nothing more or less. I don't think exciting footie was ever likely given the nature of the match and the conditions.

Mike.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,910 ✭✭✭✭whatawaster

Job well done. Looked jaded in the second half, especially Babel. Even Torres looked knackered after 5 minutes.
    Hopefully Gerrard isn't injured.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,326 ✭✭✭Zapp Brannigan

My assessment of the team:
    Reina - Is looking confident, was never really tested.
    Finnan - Didn't get forward much. Not much got past him at the back though
    Carra - As usual bossed everything
    Hyppia - Pace!? Who needs it when you intercept everything.
    Arbeloa - He's growing into a good player for us. Not much in attack but like Finnan doesn't let much past him.
    Benayoun - Didn't get into the game much, but when he did looked very bright. He should be a good player for us.
    Gerrard - Not as influential. Still some good passing. Slight limp as he went off though :confused:
    Mascherano - Was everywhere. Passed well, and got stuck in to the tackles.
    Babel - Bright moments, but needs to close down players more when we're not in possession.
    Crouch - Frustrating. Never got involved in the game apart from his assist. Was constantly being penalised by the referee for no reason.
    Voronin - Not really involved either. Took his chance very well though.
    Riise - Waste of a sub tbh. Didn't add anything to the team. Unless you count 2 useless free kicks
    Sissoko - Sat in the midfield. Passing is still atrocious but he's second to none for tackling and enthusiasm
    Torres - Only got 10 minutes. Ran well and looked good. Sharpness doesn't seem to be there yet though.

Overall we were the dominant team. We played quite slow but that was because of the heat. It was pushing 30 degrees centigrade. The 2nd leg should be a formality.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,233 ✭✭✭darkskol

agree pretty much with how you rated things Zapp.
    Away goal takes the pressure off against a freak result at anfield.
    Fingers crossed Gerrards limp is nothing sinister.

Also we can forget about Cicinho (if we were ever after him)
    http://www.skysports.com/story/0,19528,11669_2663885,00.html

• Advertisement

Just watched some of the replay on Setanta and noticed the missing Carlsberg logo on the shirts today. Presumably there are advertising restrictions on Alcohol in France that forced them to wear the changed shirts.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,025 ✭✭✭✭GBX

Thats exactly it. Last time we played Bordeaux last season it was the same.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 6,315 ✭✭✭Jazzy

you see reading 1 - 0 chelsea and you think "come on reading!!"... but then fat frank gets involved... no doubt spurred on by the thought of jose buying him an big mac meal after the match. :(

utd have slipped up at the start imo, chelsea look weak at the back and tottenham are non-starters so far. if we can beat chelsea on sunday then i really think we have every reason in the world to be confident about the title. (it will prob be a 1-1 or 0-0 draw having said that tho :/ )

http://www.football365.com/story/0,17033,8652_2664575,00.html <--- tits :(

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 21,254 Mod ✭✭✭✭Dub13

zing wrote:
    Just watched some of the replay on Setanta and noticed the missing Carlsberg logo on the shirts today. Presumably there are advertising restrictions on Alcohol in France that forced them to wear the changed shirts.

Yes

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,267 ✭✭✭p.pete

Jazzy wrote:
    if we can beat chelsea on sunday then i really think we have every reason in the world to be confident about the title.
    "In Rafa we trust", "this is our year" etc

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,411 ✭✭✭shotamoose

D'oh:
    Gerrard may miss Chelsea match after foot injury

Louise Taylor in the Stade Municipal
    Thursday August 16, 2007
    The Guardian

Steven Gerrard fears he will miss Liverpool's crucial Premiership match with Chelsea on Sunday and England's friendly against Germany next week after injuring his foot during yesterday's Champions League qualifying tie in the south-west of France.

The midfielder flew back to Merseyside last night with his right foot heavily bandaged having been the victim of a cynical stamp from Toulouse's Achille Emana during the second half ...

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,654 ✭✭✭The Rooster

Agree totally with Zapp's individual analysis. Maybe a little generous to Torres, but that's allowed! I'd give Mascherano man of the match, but both centre halfs and Voronin would be contenders also.

Overall, a bit disappointed with our creativity. 60% possession according to Opta but only 6 shots and their keeper only made two saves, neither of which were taxing. But the heat was a good excuse I suppose.

Always knew Terry would be back for Sunday. But Carvalho out good news for us. Chelsea will be very organised on set pieces so our goal will have to come from open play. We'll need all the creativity we can muster so we need Gerrard.
    My team would be:
    Reina
    Finnan
    Carra
    Agger
    Riise
    Pennant----Gerrard
    Alonso----Benayoun
    Torres
    Kuyt

I've got Pennant because I think he's our best option there with Babel coming on as an impact sub. If Gerrard is fit he might be pushed to the right and Masch brought in to hold the midfield.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,942 ✭✭✭missingtime

I'd nearly prefer Babel to get out ahead of Pennant. Just dont really rate that guy - is Kewell fit?

• Advertisement

I think he's got a slight tear in his groin, so he's out for a bit.

I'm actually watching the Chelsea match now and they're looking a very good outfit. SWP is playing right back and he's not putting a foot wrong. We're going to be tested on Sunday, no question about that.

is Kewell fit?

No - picked up a slight injury which was to keep him out for 10 days or so. Early indications are that SG's injury is a bit more serious than first expected and that he's likely to miss the game. In which case I'd expect Alonso & Masch in the middle.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 29,372 ✭✭✭✭Mr Alan

Could think of worse things than Alonso and Masch in the middle, but Stevie would be a big loss. He is in great form as well.

He's got a hairline fracture in his toe but will be fit to play. Doubt if he'll play the 90 unless absolutely necessary but it's great news.

http://www.liverpoolfc.tv/news/drilldown/N156701070816-1340.htm

EDIT: great news that he's fit - not that he's got a fractured toe :o

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 15,399 ✭✭✭✭Thanx 4 The Fish

And he gets to miss the friendly, suits Rafa just fine this I would say ;)

I just hope he doesn't injure himself more by playing on Sunday. Missing him for one game is a blow but if he was to do a Rooney, we'd be in trouble.

• Advertisement

With so many options in the middle I'd actually make a point of leaving Gerrard on the bench. Masch and Alsonso with Sissoko and the captain in reserve should be a sufficiency. :)

With Carvalho out and Terry not going to be match sharp the main issue for Rafa should be severing the supply lines to Drogba.

Mike.

The masch will run a muck if he plays, and Agger already has the measure of drogba so he'll will have him in his pocket!:)

My team would be:
    Reina
    Finnan
    Carra
    Agger
    Riise
    Pennant----Gerrard
    Alonso----Benayoun
    Torres
    Kuyt
    Maybe I over-rate him, but I think Mascherano is outstanding and I can't believe anybody would suggest not playing him in a big game.

Gerrard on the wing, with Alonso and Mascherano in the middle is a no-brainer as far as I'm concerned. Other spot in midfield is then between Pennant, Babel, Benayoun and Riise. Playing Riise would be too negative for a home game IMO, so I'd go with either Babel or Yossi. If Gerrard doesnt make it, then I'd bring Riise in.

Also definitely have Arbeloa in at left back. That would mean SWP would be first man substituted.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 15,065 ✭✭✭✭Malice

Maybe I over-rate him, but I think Mascherano is outstanding and I can't believe anybody would suggest not playing him in a big game.

Gerrard on the wing, with Alonso and Mascherano in the middle is a no-brainer as far as I'm concerned. Other spot in midfield is then between Pennant, Babel, Benayoun and Riise. Playing Riise would be too negative for a home game IMO, so I'd go with either Babel or Yossi. If Gerrard doesnt make it, then I'd bring Riise in.

Also definitely have Arbeloa in at left back. That would mean SWP would be first man substituted.
    I agree with you on Mascherano. He's barely put a foot wrong since he joined Liverpool. I'd say Malouda will be more of a danger than Wright-Phillips though so Gerrard (if fit) would be a certainty for the right-hand side. I'd also like to see Crouch start although the Voronator will feel hard done by if he doesn't at least make the bench which leaves no room for Torres.

My team for Sunday would be:

Reina
    Finnan
    Carra
    Agger
    Arbeloa-
    Gerrard----Mascherano
    Alonso
    Babel
    Crouch
    Kuyt

Hmm, it's a tough one, but i'll go for:

Reina

Finnan
    Carragher
    Agger
    Arbeloa

Alonso
    Mascherano

Gerrard

Kuyt
    Torres
    Babel

But I know Rafa won't, he'll go 442, probably with Riise for Babel and Gerrard on the right.

• Advertisement

Hmm, it's a tough one, but i'll go for:

Reina

Finnan
    Carragher
    Agger
    Arbeloa

Alonso
    Mascherano

Gerrard

Kuyt
    Torres
    Babel

But I know Rafa won't, he'll go 442, probably with Riise for Babel and Gerrard on the right.
    4-3-3 or 4-2-1-3 or whatever you want to call it is probably very risky. Remember this is Chelsea we're playing, not a small club like Everton :)

• Users Awaiting Email Confirmation Posts: 933 ✭✭✭dardoz

malice_ wrote:
    ... not a small club like Everton :)

:D

malice_ wrote:
    I'd also like to see Crouch start although the Voronator will feel hard done by if he doesn't at least make the bench which leaves no room for Torres.
    Terry and Ben Haim would be delighted if Crouch was playing - they'd eat him up and spit him out. Last year when Terry was out and they'd only small men at centre half - then Crouch was perfect.

This is the game where Torres comes to the fore. If he gets any kinda decent ball to feet he'll go by them like they were stopped. They will not be able to handle his trickery.

I believe Crouch will not even make the bench.

malice_ wrote:
    4-3-3 or 4-2-1-3 or whatever you want to call it is probably very risky. Remember this is Chelsea we're playing, not a small club like Everton :)

I disagree, you've still got two midfielders in there who don't like crossing the halfway line, and when we lose the ball Gerrard will join them and Kuyt and Babel will drop deep. Also the two wide forwards can pin back their full-backs, so they'll be less of a threat.

I believe Crouch will not even make the bench.

Nor should he - he was poor against Toulouse.

I disagree, you've still got two midfielders in there who don't like crossing the halfway line, and when we lose the ball Gerrard will join them and Kuyt and Babel will drop deep. Also the two wide forwards can pin back their full-backs, so they'll be less of a threat.
    When Alonso came to the club first he didn't mind crossing the half way line. Remember the goal he goal against Arsenal in 2004 (I think)? It's something that had disappeared from his game in the last season or so which I think is a shame.

The problem with what you've described is that the attacking 4-3-3 then becomes a defensive 4-5-1 which could leave the target man stranded. Forcing Babel and Kuyt to drop deep will tire them out more (although Kuyt doesn't seem to ever stop running) and could them leave them way out of position. It's a perennial problem with Liverpool that we don't get enough bodies into the box to support attacks.

Having said that, given that we're playing at home, I would like to see us really go at Chelsea. They seem quite vulnerable already this season and beating them, especially given the way Man Utd have dropped points would give the team a huge confidence boost.

Regarding Crouch v Torres, it's a nice dilemma to have. Whichever starts (and it could be both) It certainly beats the groaning that would have accompanied seeing Heskey, Diouf or Cissé on the teamsheet in previous seasons :)

I fully expect Torres and Kuyt to start and Voronin to score the winning goal. :) Torres hailed a flop in Monday papers! ;)

Mike.

ha ha

was reading last Sundays papers and a couple of them refered to Torres' goal drought. They really do come up with some unbelieveable ****e

Torres is gonna score on Sunday. I can feel it!

• Moderators, Education Moderators Posts: 5,495 Mod ✭✭✭✭spockety

Torres is gonna score on Sunday. I can feel it!

Money where your mouth is.. 5/2 on Paddy Power :)

Liverpool are 7/5 for the win, Chelsea at 2/1, with a draw also at 2/1

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 32,022 ✭✭✭✭~Rebel~

Alonso is playing better at the moment, and i think this is a huge game for him. Last year was poor and as was mentioned he spent a lot of his time in our half of the field. I would prefer to leave gerrard on the bench till the last 35mins for this one i think.

Id go with

Finnan---Carra---Agger---Arbeloa

Benayoun--Masch--Alonso--Babel

Kuyt--Torres

Maybe with Pennant instead of babel, on the right with yossi left, but would love to see Babels directness in this match, especially with right back being their weak spot.

Very excited about this match, i think we'll see a lot of players stepping up for this one, particularly Alonso (if given the central controlling role without gerrard), Benayoung and Torres.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 15,399 ✭✭✭✭Thanx 4 The Fish

Video on the new stadium here - http://www.liverpoolfc.tv/news/drilldown/N156710070817-1409.htm

Looks quite good, and Hicks/Gilet seem really enthusiastic.

spockety wrote:
    Money where your mouth is.. 5/2 on Paddy Power :)

Liverpool are 7/5 for the win, Chelsea at 2/1, with a draw also at 2/1
    I don't gamble, but if I did I'd be putting a tenner on him to come up with the goods this sunday.

Is everyone considering this match to be a make or break one for our title chase? It's hardly that, I mean, we beat them this fixture last year. It's a boost if we win, we'll be ahead of Utd for one, but it's hardly a be all or end all match.

• Moderators, Education Moderators Posts: 5,495 Mod ✭✭✭✭spockety

There are no real make or breaks until things start getting mathematical around April. ;)

I saw Andy Gray in his latest saying that if Man Utd don't get a victory against City this weekend that they are left with a 'massive' hill to climb.

Anything like that said before September even hits is truly laughable.

spockety wrote:
    I saw Andy Gray in his latest saying that if Man Utd don't get a victory against City this weekend that they are left with a 'massive' hill to climb.
    Andy Gray really annoys the hell out of me whenever I have the misfortune to come across a piece of journalism with his "expert pundit view". Liverpool were going to be out of the title race if they didn't beat Aston Villa in one of his previous columns. Two games into the season and now Man Utd could be out of the title race if they don't win at the weekend? As much as I'd love Man Utd to be out of the title race, it's not going to happen. Unfortunately a lot of people seem to read these pieces and treat them as gospel!

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 6,315 ✭✭✭Jazzy

id go with

Reina

Finnan---Carra---Agger
    Riise

Gerrard---Masch--Alonso---Babel

Kuyt--Torres

i think we can get a goal if gerrard is allowed to slip into the middle if cashley starts daydreaming.
    we need alonso + masch in the middle i feel as this chelsea team will run riot if tons-of-fun (lampard) is allowed to start making runs and linking up with drogba. I think masch or sissoko would keep him neutralised leaving the back four to be allowed to concentrate on the real danger man - drogba. remember how well he played when chelski thumped us for 4 ? hes the man we need to shut down and limiting lampards role is pivotal in accomplishing this.

i could go on... but its friday and ive got to go home \o/

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,586 ✭✭✭✭Dont be at yourself

Is everyone considering this match to be a make or break one for our title chase? It's hardly that, I mean, we beat them this fixture last year. It's a boost if we win, we'll be ahead of Utd for one, but it's hardly a be all or end all match.

It`s not essential if we win - especially considering the form of Chelsea and Man Utd at the moment. However, if we do win, it will send our confidence through the roof. Liverpool undoubtedly have the players to top the league, they just need a bit of luck and that confidence, self belief and winning mentality that Man Utd had last year and Chelsea had in previous years. A win tomorrow will go some way to instilling that belief.

My XI for the game:

Reina
    Finnan-Carra-Agger-Arbeloa
    Gerrard-Alonso-Mach-Riise
    ---Voronin-Torres

I wouldn't like to see Riise. He's done absolutely nothing in the two games so far. Maybe a spell on the bench will do him good.

I'd start Babel or Benayoun on the left.

actually scratch that above, i'd go

Reina

Finnan--Carra----Agger--Arbeloa

Alonso---Mascherano

Gerrard
    Yossi
    Babel-
    Torres

Maybe Pennant ahead of Yossi

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Education Moderators Posts: 9,645 Mod ✭✭✭✭mayordenis

any chance of kewell appearing tomorrow those anybody know?

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement