Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Liverpool Rumours And General Discussion 2007/2008

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 46,343 ✭✭✭✭Mitch Connor

Mr Alan wrote: »
    beats yous doing it for 20 odd years! :)

Mah - all before my supporting of United, glory supporter 'n all that.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 29,372 ✭✭✭✭Mr Alan

Do i get the impression you've been impressed with wat you've seen of Lucas PHB?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,910 ✭✭✭✭whatawaster

mike65 wrote: »
    If Agger is'nt playing on Sunday maybe Liverpool would be better with 3 at the back and 2 defensive midefielders

Reina
    --Finnan--Carra--Risse
    Masch-ANother
    Yossi----Gerrard---Babel
    Crouch-Torres

Lucas or Alonso besides Mascherano

Mike.

There's only one centre back there. We'll be destroyed. If we played three at the back it would probably be Hyypia, Carragher and Arbeloa (if fit) with Finnan and Riise as Wing-backs. But I can't see Rafa risking it

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 20,617 ✭✭✭✭PHB

Very very impressed. He has impressed me just like Anderson has impressed me. He is a proper central midfielder, who spreads the play, can score goals, but ultimately, makes the team tick. He's got that in him, looks like a cracking player.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,225 ✭✭✭Chardee MacDennis

to be honest if that first goal hadnt gone in it would have been a completely different game, but it did and Beskitas were happy to sit back and put us in a position that we have always been uncomfortable with, both with Rafa and Ged, and thats coming at teams.

i am quietly confident about Sun as Arsenal will be in great form and want to come at us again and again, which we have always been able to deal with. We can hit them on the break and if Torres starts I reckon we can beat them.

As long as Hyypia doesnt play that is. I think the CB problem has really come back to hit Rafa as Hyypia just doesnt seem to have it anymore, he is no where near as commanding as he used to be and Carra just doesnt look comfortable alongside someone with no pace.
    PHB wrote: »
    Very very impressed. He has impressed me just like Anderson has impressed me. He is a proper central midfielder, who spreads the play, can score goals, but ultimately, makes the team tick. He's got that in him, looks like a cracking player.

who is that?

At the game at the weekend Lucas didnt have any clue what he was doing while defending set pieces and Carra had to physically walk him to his position which was very strange to see. Reina and Carra kept shouting at him when we were defending.

• Advertisement

I would imagine he doesn't speak the language yet :) Very tough to do what you're told when you've no idea what the **** people are saying to ya :)

Watch Giggs try to explain Anderson what pass he wanted against CSKA. It's hilarious. He looks at him, then moves his hands in a kind of swooping fashion, then juts up, then camera then cuts to Anderson who has a look of total bemusment.

yeh suppose it makes sense!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,456 ✭✭✭kida

I obviously am not saying i think we'll definately win on Sunday, its gonna be a tough game. But at the end of the day, we are unbeaten in the league. We have the players to beat any team. And we have a manager who knows how to beat any team.

unbeaten means little A draw is 2/3 a defeat. Win 1 - Lose 1 is better than 2 draws.

I would argue he is a manager that know how not to lose rather than how to win.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,942 ✭✭✭missingtime

Reina
    --Finnan---Carragher---Hyypia--Riise
    Mascherano-Alonso
    --Gerrard
    Lucas
    Babel--
    Torres

I like this formation. A lot.

In relation to last nights match, i dont know why Benitez and Gerrard said they played well. The team was awful last night. It was like watching Ireland.

Same thing over and over and over again - long ball jobs.

Voronin and Kuyt cannot play together, they both come too deep and at several points last night there was no forward in the penalty area. I've never seen Carra and Hyypia stand still so much waiting for movement from the rest of the team.
    Benitez tactics leave an awful lot to be desired sometimes.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,263 ✭✭✭yom 1

Same thing over and over and over again - long ball jobs.

.....I've never seen Carra and Hyypia stand still so much waiting for movement from the rest of the team.

That pissed me off no end last night. They were literally crying out for someone to make a move for them and give them an option. If they went right it would come back to them cos pennant wouldnt take anyone on. If they looked left Riise was already up the other end of the pitch sitting on the corner flag. Gerrard and Mascherano didnt want the ball so the hoofed it up in hope that Voronin or Kuyt would control it which neither did all night.

• Advertisement

kida wrote: »
    I would argue he is a manager that know how not to lose rather than how to win.

wat a ridiculous thing to say

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,105 ✭✭✭mada999

went behind from a fluke of a goal....had chances in the first half and they didnt go in...

anyways...i don't think Kuyt or Voronin or couch are good enough for LFC..Rafa should sell one or two and get a decent striker in jan.... a Center back has to be purcahses in Jan also...

I also think Riise should be on his way in the summer...

Lucas looks quality though and should be given a few games.....i don't think we should play with two holding midfielders as we are not creative enough, so masc and sissoko should not play in the same team...

my 2c...

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,096 ✭✭✭An Citeog

yom 1 wrote: »
    If they looked left Riise was already up the other end of the pitch sitting on the corner flag.

:eek:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,910 ✭✭✭✭whatawaster

An Citeog wrote: »
    :eek:

Funny that was the exact face he made.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 88,972 ✭✭✭✭mike65

Hicks says yes - http://news.bbc.co.uk/sport2/hi/football/teams/l/liverpool/7061820.stm
    Liverpool manager Rafael Benitez has received the backing of Reds co-owner Tom Hicks following their 2-1 Champions League defeat at Besiktas."We back Rafa - he's the right manager," said Hicks.

"Rafa's rotation has been his policy for three years - his ability to coach and manage in the Champions League should be unquestioned."

and cross everything if you rate Kewell cos his playing tonight against Newcastle reserves.

Mike.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,456 ✭✭✭kida

wat a ridiculous thing to say

its my opinion - I firmly believe first and foremost he goes out not to lose.

will that reserves match be on lfc tv?

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 21,254 Mod ✭✭✭✭Dub13

Dub13 wrote: »
    Free LFC TV tomorrow (Thursday Night)

Link

What a day to have LFCTV free....:)

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 10,259 ✭✭✭✭Melion

Yep its live on LFC TV.

Check out Nabil El Zhar tonight, ive heard great things about him. Oh and Damien Plessis, he was immense against the Utd reserves a few weeks ago

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,685 ✭✭✭✭machiavellianme

mike65 wrote: »
    Hicks says yes - http://news.bbc.co.uk/sport2/hi/football/teams/l/liverpool/7061820.stm

and cross everything if you rate Kewell cos his playing tonight against Newcastle reserves.

Mike.

Come on Harry. Be the creative genius we desperately need.
    We're in such dire straits we're relying on Kewell to give us an option. Dont suppose he'd be fit for a cameo against the Arsenal?

Who am I kidding. He'll probably get injured tonight and that'll be the end of him. :rolleyes:

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,397 ✭✭✭yahoo_moe

PHB wrote: »
    The way for Liverpool to beat Arsenal is to physically battle them to the ground and then score with some magic, as such, Liverpools formation should be something like this,

Reina
    --Finnan---Carragher---Hyypia--Riise
    Mascherano-Lucas
    --Pennant
    Gerrard
    Babel--
    Torres

Mascherano can do a job on Fabregas.
    Agree but Hleb/Rosicky could still pick major holes between midfield and defence and Liverpool don't look anywhere near as organised (especially defensively) in the last month or so as they generally have over the last couple years...
    Also putting Pennant on the right really puts some prssure on Clichy, as Pennant can match him for pace, but is probably more skillful.
    I was at the FA Cup match at Anfield last year and even though Pennant looked fairly up for it, Clichy had him in his pocket all night. I think Clichy's a cracking player with a lot more going for him than just his pace so it'll take more than just matching him for pace to guarantee causing him problems

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,904 ✭✭✭DeadSkin

I'm dreadin' the Arsenal game, especially with Hyppia in the side. I hope Rafa has plans for a centre-half in the new year.
    Finnan didn't play that well last night either, he just didn't look bothered.
    Yossi looked lively when he came on

If Wallcott plays up front for Arsenal the next day he's gonna make a fool out of Hyppia.
    Hopefully Torres will be back

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,929 ✭✭✭raven136

is alonso fit for the game?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,095 ✭✭✭zing

raven136 wrote: »
    is alonso fit for the game?

Well he was on the bench last night so must be there or there abouts

DeadSkin wrote: »
    Finnan didn't play that well last night either, he just didn't look bothered.
    Yossi looked lively when he came on

i completely disagree i thought he looked good going forward - he gave us great options and put some great balls in to the box. also Yossi seems to give us a bit of flair when he plays but he doesnt look effective over the 90mins, he seems to be a good impact player ie playing him for the first 60 mins or coming on for the last 30.

babel looks good going at players and i was happy to see him try it a few times last night but he gets dragged out of position and towards the ball a lot which doesnt suit rafa's system especially when gerrard tries to be everywhere at once. but i think Babel could come good for us when he settles properly, i dont see him being another gonzalez, well here's hoping anyway!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,929 ✭✭✭raven136

cesc is arsenals main player and forward threat so even though he isnt playing well would you risk momo against him?his passing is awful but he is so physical that a man marking job might get the best out of him.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 888 ✭✭✭Kanney

Arbeloa and Carra in the centre for Arsenal, with Riise and Finnan on the wingbacks.... Can't have hyypia in there against Walcott.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,904 ✭✭✭DeadSkin

Call_me_al wrote: »
    i completely disagree i thought he looked good going forward - he gave us great options and put some great balls in to the box. also Yossi seems to give us a bit of flair when he plays but he doesnt look effective over the 90mins, he seems to be a good impact player ie playing him for the first 60 mins or coming on for the last 30.

babel looks good going at players and i was happy to see him try it a few times last night but he gets dragged out of position and towards the ball a lot which doesnt suit rafa's system especially when gerrard tries to be everywhere at once. but i think Babel could come good for us when he settles properly, i dont see him being another gonzalez, well here's hoping anyway!

Defensively, I thought he wasn't great, I take your point about his crosses last night, he probably is one of the best crossers we have, he should be taking the corners.
    I think Babel will be a great player, he just needs games, it's tough enough moving to a new country to ply your trade and the price-tag thats hangin' over his head.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,326 ✭✭✭Zapp Brannigan

I think Masch can keep Cesc in his pocket. He stifled Kaka in the CL so why not Cesc?

• Advertisement

I absolutely agree that Mascherano could keep Cesc out of a game altogether, as, i feel could Momo also.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 16,658 ✭✭✭✭Peyton Manning

Cesc and Kaka are too different in their style of play to make that assumption.

They're different but neither one of them can operate with a feisty little Argentinian breathing down their necks.

i think we need alonso back though so unless we go for the 4-2-3-1 formation i dont see Masch playing.

They're different but neither one of them can operate with a feisty little Argentinian breathing down their necks.

They are very different. Mascherano's entire youth would have been spent dealing with Kaka style players. Fabregas is much more deep lying, much less about pace and running at you, much more about the quick pass. I think Mascherano can do well against him, but I wouldn't be surprised to see Cesc get the better of him.
    I was at the FA Cup match at Anfield last year and even though Pennant looked fairly up for it, Clichy had him in his pocket all night. I think Clichy's a cracking player with a lot more going for him than just his pace so it'll take more than just matching him for pace to guarantee causing him problems

But that match was crazy :) I think Clichy is a good player, but I still think he is suspect defensively, not helped by his height. I think Gerrard against him and you'd have only one winner for most of the long balls.
    Agree but Hleb/Rosicky could still pick major holes between midfield and defence and Liverpool don't look anywhere near as organised (especially defensively) in the last month or so as they generally have over the last couple years...

Oh yeh, indeed, I personally think Arsenal will win it like, just how I think Liverpool could best go about it.

i think we need alonso back though so unless we go for the 4-2-3-1 formation i dont see Masch playing.

we need to give masch a break, two games on international, one in venezuela, two full games, a derby and travelling to turkey. Bring alonso back for that reason alone.

• Advertisement

That mightnt be the worst formation considering our general standard of play lately. But if we do and Arsenal go in front it'll be curtains. Kuyt needs to be dropped. Sissoko and Sami are too much of a liability. Is Hobbs any use? Havent seen him play much apart from the odd reserves game at the start of the season. Maybe a 3-3-3-1 to get around the fact that Sami king of the OG needs to stay at home and assuming Arbeloa isnt up to it.
    Something like

Reina
    ----Finnan
    Carragher
    Riise--
    -Mascherano----Alonso
    Lucas--
    ---Pennant
    Gerrard
    Babel--

Torres

with Yossi to come on for the worst of Babel/Pennant after 60 minutes and perhaps Crouch for Lucas if we need someone up front. If Harry was back however (a long shot but after his inevitable hat-trick tonight ;) ), he could make a cameo in the last ten minutes also.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 88,972 ✭✭✭✭mike65

Reina
    ----Finnan
    Carragher
    Riise--
    -Mascherano----Alonso
    Lucas--
    ---Pennant
    Gerrard
    Babel--

Torres

Might work!

Mike.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,500 ✭✭✭Fuzzy_Dunlop

There's loads of this talk of Mascherano taking Cesc out of the game and thus stopping arsenal. Unfortunately these people haven't been watching Hleb lately! If all concentration is put on stopping cesc, Hleb and Rosicky are more than capable of making things tick over. That said I'm still fairly worried about the match, Gallas hasn't been great since coming back and if Crouch plays along with Torres than they will cause problems. Clichy is more than capable of dealing with Pennant or Gerrard

Hleb and Rosicky, more Hleb have been immense in the past few weeks. Gonna be a good game. Will Crouch start after his hat-trick against them last season (all peaches aswell)

Kewell starting for the reserves tonight. C'mon 'arry!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,161 ✭✭✭Royale with Cheese

Pool should start with Crouch on Sunday. It was Toure and Gallas last year that he dicked on.

I agree with playa, if Pool focus too much on taking Fabregas out of the game then it'll just leave gaps for the rest of the team to run through.

Also Hobbs isn't involved with the Reserves tonight, might Rafa be planning on using him?

Hows the game going? NTL didnt make it free. Guess it was too much to hope for. Has Harry been immense?

Harry has just scored, a header from a corner!
    Leto, as usual in the reserves, is looking a class act.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 425 ✭✭Brando_ie

Harry opens the scoring with a nice header from a corner. Good to see him back!!

1-1 Nice goal by Newcastle.

Leto shows some amazing dribbling skills and rounds 3 defenders but won't take the shot with his right, disappointing.

2-1 Brouwer scores an easy tap in after some terrible handling by the Newcastle keeper.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 38,247 ✭✭✭✭Guy:Incognito

Carra had to physically walk him to his position .

Happens a fair bit tbh when players dont do what Carra says. Against Chelsea last year I ended up near the front of the Anfield Rd end and while defending a corner Carra was houting at crouch to stand where he told him . He didnt, so Carra moved closer and started screaming in his ear then had a bit of a fit , pointing at the ground about a foot from where Crouch was standing, shouting "stand ****ing there" "right there" . HE gave Crouch dogs abuse. Everyone in the stand was pissing themselves because just as he started shouting, everyone had gone quiet so now they were listening. Great stuff, love to see it. Legend.

• Subscribers Posts: 16,592 ✭✭✭✭copacetic

not sure about that man of the match for kelly but reasonably impressed with some of the prospects tonight.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,357 ✭✭✭emc2

copacetic wrote: »
    not sure about that man of the match for kelly but reasonably impressed with some of the prospects tonight.

Is this guy Irish? He's beengood tonight. Leto again looks great.

• Advertisement
This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement