Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Liverpool Rumours And General Discussion 2007/2008

Comments

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 10,259 ✭✭✭✭Melion

After last nights showing i wouldnt play Babel as a starter for another while, he seems to hurried in his play and you can tell he is still learning his best position.

Id go with
    Reina
    Finnan(must be replaced this summer i think)
    Arbeloa
    Carra
    Agger
    Gerrard
    Kewell(if he can perform at all)
    Alonso
    Masch
    Torres
    Crouch

I think that is definitely our strongest XI, but maybe play Arbeloa on the right and Aurelio on the left

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 32,036 ✭✭✭✭~Rebel~

Melion wrote: »
    After last nights showing i wouldnt play Babel as a starter for another while, he seems to hurried in his play and you can tell he is still learning his best position.

Id go with
    Reina
    Finnan(must be replaced this summer i think)
    Arbeloa
    Carra
    Agger
    Gerrard
    Kewell(if he can perform at all)
    Alonso
    Masch
    Torres
    Crouch

I think that is definitely our strongest XI, but maybe play Arbeloa on the right and Aurelio on the left

If Crouch can get some sort of form going now then yeah i wouldn't mind him there. Torres pace means the opposition defence will have to play closer to goal, which is where Crouch can be very useful. If he drops back out of form then id prob go for Kuyt.

Your reason for not starting Babel would be my reason For starting him. He seems like he is trying to do to much rather then just the simpler things. Id like him to be told he is guaranteed at leas 30mins in each of our next 4 or 5 games so he can relax and show what he can do over an extended perio dof time rather then thinking he Needs to do something spectacular every half chance he gets. It could work well with Kewell returning from injury as well, one plays an hour, the other the remainder.

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 21,254 Mod ✭✭✭✭Dub13

Anybody fancy a good read check this out...

The soul of liverpool in 50 moments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,233 ✭✭✭darkskol

Dub13 wrote: »
    Anybody fancy a good read check this out...

The soul of liverpool in 50 moments

Cheers for that, good read.

darkskol wrote: »
    Cheers for that, good read.

No prob,If you want more stuff we post good reads Here

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,067 ✭✭✭✭Tusky

Best Liverpool team is a tough one..depends who are playing. Against good opposition -

Reina

Finnan
    Carragher---Agger
    Arbeloa

Mascherano--Alonso

Gerrard
    Babel
    Kewell

Torres

Bench : Itandje, Hyypia, Lucas, Benayoun, Pennant

Nice thing about it is Gerrard, Babel & Kewell can all interchange.

(Not including Kuyt as Babel, Kewell, Benayoun & Gerrard can play off Torres if needs be and Kuyt is in my bad books at the moment. He looks about as dangerous as a soggy RTE guide...If I wasnt so frustrated with him he would be in there ahead of Lucas)

Could have Gerrard/Babel/Kewell swapping positions throughout the game with ease as they can all play on either wing or in the center.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 88,972 ✭✭✭✭mike65

Are we smarter than Rafa? ;)

The same names tend to keep cropping up with an emphisis on quick, flexible attack ahead of two defensive/passing midfielders.

Mike.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,587 ✭✭✭✭Dont be at yourself

I can't say I'm too keen on Kewell - if he ever can put a run of games together. There's no doubt he has the talent, but are we ever going to get him back at his best?

I'd go for the following:

Reina
    Finnan-Carra-Agger-Arbeloa
    Mach-Alonso
    --Pennant-Gerrard-Babel
    Torres

The attack is full of pace, in front of two players who excel at dictating the tempo, and a solid, if unadventurous, back four. Babel and Gerrard can play as a second striker too, so it's not too dissimilar to Chelski's old system.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,942 ✭✭✭missingtime

Reina
    Finnan--Carra-Agger-Arbeloa
    Mach--Alonso
    Gerrard--Gerrard/Lucas--Babel/Benayoun
    Torres

OR

Reina
    Alonso
    --Gerrard--Lucas---Babel
    Torres -- Kyut/Crouch

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 1,650 ✭✭✭shayser

Liverpool week on Setanta Sports
    by James Matheson, 01 November 2007

Liverpool fans take note!

Not only are Setanta Sports showing two exclusively live Barclays Premier League matches involving Liverpool in the space of seven days, but we are giving all Kopites a chance to see fantastic Liverpool FC programming every evening next week through LFC TV - the newly launched TV channel exclusive to Setanta Sports subscribers on satellite and cable - completely free.

Yes, Liverpool Week is here. So, if you are a satellite or Virgin Media customer who has not yet signed up to the Setanta Sports pack, then you can gorge yourself on a diet of everything Liverpool, from classic matches to interviews with legends.

And for next week only, the best of the content every evening is free! Satellite customers on channel 448 and Virgin Media customers on channel number 544 will be able to view key programmes every evening during Liverpool Week at no cost. Here is the full programming line up for the week:

Sunday, November 4th: 8pm Reds in Europe - a chance to revisit that famous night in Istanbul when Liverpool won the 2005 Champions League Final.

Monday, November 5th: 9pm This Is Anfield - Liverpool legend Ronnie Whelan looks forward to the Liverpool v Fulham game on November 10th

Tuesday, November 6th: 6.15pm The Match: A Closer Look – Ex-Liverpool midfielder Jan Molby dissects Liverpool’s previous Barclays Premier League game against Blackburn Rovers

Wednesday, November 7th: 6.30pm Sixty Minutes with...Jan Molby

Thursday, November 8th: 9pm: The John Barnes Show - John Barnes is joined in the studio by special guests: Bruce Grobbelaar, Tommy Lawrence and Brian Hall

Friday, November 9th: 9pm: Big Match Build Up - a look ahead to the Liverpool v Fulham clash at Anfield on Saturday 10th at 5.15pm (exclusively live on Setanta Sports 1)

Liverpool Week is book ended by two exclusively live Barclays Premier League games on Setanta Sports involving Liverpool. They are:

• Saturday, November 3rd @ 5.15pm - Blackburn Rovers v Liverpool
    • Saturday, November 10th @ 5.15pm - Liverpool v Fulham

http://sport.setanta.com/en/Sport/News/Football/2007/11/01/Liverpool-week-on-Setanta-Sports-0013114/

What about NTL/Chorus-ers?

Mike.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,326 ✭✭✭Zapp Brannigan

NTL, I doubt it. They never seem to take part in these free weeks.

I can't say I'm too keen on Kewell - if he ever can put a run of games together. There's no doubt he has the talent, but are we ever going to get him back at his best?

I'd go for the following:

Reina
    Mach-Alonso
    --Pennant-Gerrard-Babel
    Torres

The attack is full of pace, in front of two players who excel at dictating the tempo, and a solid, if unadventurous, back four. Babel and Gerrard can play as a second striker too, so it's not too dissimilar to Chelski's old system.

Kewell is completely unreliable...so we shouldnt rely on him BUT he is still by far the best option we have on the left wing. He retains the ball well, can pass, cross, beat his man, shoot and is a good header of the ball as well. Hes rarely fit...but when fit he should play as much as possible in my opinion.

• Subscribers Posts: 32,855 ✭✭✭✭5starpool

mike65 wrote: »
    What about NTL/Chorus-ers?

Mike.

I hate having no choice only NTL or nothing.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,942 ✭✭✭missingtime

Team vs Blackburn

Reina
    Finnan----Carra--Hyypia--Rise
    Benayoun-Sissoko-Gerard-Kewell
    Crouch-Voronin

I think he's gonna play Voronin, he's stronger than Kuyt and it could be better for him to get a run in.

If Mascherano is fit i would expect him to get in ahead of Sissoko.

Not sure about the right hand side - he might play Masch and Sissoko in the centre with Gerrard on the wing. Doubted though.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 15,399 ✭✭✭✭Thanx 4 The Fish

I would like to see kewell come into it in the so called softer games. I hope that he can get a run and hopefully regain some of the form that he used to have back in the day. A tricky reaonably pacy winger who can create an end product is severely lacking on the left.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 25,243 ✭✭✭✭Jesus Wept

arggggg Kewell is a tosspot.

He is lazy and doesn't care.

When fit, he has rarely looked interested for more than 1 match in a row. :mad:

Thats pure ignorance.

Mike.

No, it's not. It's an opinion.

It would be pure ignorance if I had never seen him play.

Nope, it is definitely ignorance.

• Advertisement

No, it's really an opinion.

Just because you don't share it does not make it ignorance.

Well if you don't mind sharing then, could you explain why you think he is lazy ?

And where you think that he has looked interested in more than two games in a row.

How often has he even had two starts in a row for liverpool ?

About 2 years back! ;)

Mike.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 20,346 ✭✭✭✭KdjaCL

What do pool fans see in kewell?

Honeslty he comes across as a "contract sitter" there only for the money and hasnt imo played well for pool ehh ever :confused:

At leeds he was a good player in a bad team so stood out at pool hes an average player in a team of good players.

kdjac

When he last had a run in the side he provided the left side to a perfectly balanced midfield

Kewell-Hamman-Alonso-Gerrard

Which saw the team win 10 on the bounce from Feb to May in 2006 giving Pool thier best ever points tally. He can recieve, pass and move and turn and shoot in one flowing move which is something Liverpool are desperatly short on these days (we want to be Arsenal really!).

Mike.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,283 ✭✭✭Smegball

Kewell hasn't been the same since he left Leeds, he's gone downhill quicker than a ferrari with no breaks lolz haha

(thats slower in mph!)

Mike.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 20,346 ✭✭✭✭KdjaCL

(thats slower in mph!)

Mike.

if it happened in Donegal the light year rule would come into effect :p

/ gag stolen from pats forum

kdjac

When he last had a run in the side he provided the left side to a perfectly balanced midfield

Kewell-Hamman-Alonso-Gerrard

Which saw the team win 10 on the bounce from Feb to May in 2006 giving Pool thier best ever points tally. He can recieve, pass and move and turn and shoot in one flowing move which is something Liverpool are desperatly short on these days (we want to be Arsenal really!).

Mike.

No it was Kewell-Sissoko-Alonso-Gerrard for that period. I dont see how people can say that hes lazy or that hes a contract sitter. His injuries are real. Hes not faking them...Liverpool wouldnt allow it. He has had something like 10 operations over the past couple of years...do you think he does that just to get out of playing?

If you think he shouldnt be in the team because hes too injury prone, fine, thats a fair point but dont say that hes lazy and uninterested. Fact is, he is by far the best left winger we have and although hes rarely fit, he offers balance to the left wing when he is. Its great to see him back.

• Advertisement

Tusky you're right Sissoko had made such an impression he displaced Hamman to the subs bench by the new year. Still it worked well.

Mike.

Tusky you're right Sissoko had made such an impression he displaced Hamman to the subs bench by the new year. Still it worked well.

Mike.

Thinking back, Sissoko really was excellent that season. I remember him winning man of the match award game after game for some time. He really has gone down hill...Hes only 22 though so maybe people are being too hard on him.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,316 ✭✭✭ButcherOfNog

Tusky wrote: »
    Thinking back, Sissoko really was excellent that season. I remember him winning man of the match award game after game for some time. He really has gone down hill...Hes only 22 though so maybe people are being too hard on him.

The lad got kicked in the head and nearly went blind, which would take the edge of anyones tackling, though I don't think thats whats wrong, I think Rafa and the coaches are trying to get him to be more controlled (a good thing), and its not working out for Momo. But thats just what I think, what would I know :)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 20,617 ✭✭✭✭PHB

I think you're right Nog, Rafa is trying to develop his game, obviously his game is gona temporarily suffer as a result.

PHB wrote: »
    I think you're right Nog, Rafa is trying to develop his game, obviously his game is gona temporarily suffer as a result.

Aye, before he bombed up and down the pitch tackling anything that moved and didnt even attempt to pass or shoot. He would just pass the ball short when he won it back. Now he seems to be trying to pick out more difficult passes and is getting into more forward positions. He even tries to have a shot or two. This is making him look wasteful and average.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 20,617 ✭✭✭✭PHB

I don't think there's anyone who doubts his defensive ability. The problem really is is that even if he develops the other side of his game, he's never gona be as good as Mascherano at it and currently Mascherano is just about as good as him defensively. It's tough to see where he fits into the future of the squad.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 10,259 ✭✭✭✭Melion

If Mo learned how to pass the ball he could be one of the greats, but the fact that he cant pass a ball 10 yards is going to be a big problem for his career

• Subscribers Posts: 16,592 ✭✭✭✭copacetic

chelsea away in carling cup draw..

Goodie! ;)

Mike.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,225 ✭✭✭Chardee MacDennis

so will ntl subscribers not be seeing any of the liverpool goodness on setanta this week?

It was'nt on when I checked earlier.

Mike.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,233 ✭✭✭darkskol

Think match is been shown on setanta sports 1

• Subscribers Posts: 16,592 ✭✭✭✭copacetic

darkskol wrote: »
    Think match is been shown on setanta sports 1

I think everyone knows that, but it is free setanta pack for people who have sky this week, but not ntl afaik. Thats what people are wondering.

useless NTL //mumble, grrrrr

any team news?

EDIT

Reina, Finnan, Carragher, Hyypia, Riise, Mascherano, Sissoko, Gerrard, Babel, Benayoun, Kuyt

Subs: Martin, Crouch, Kewell, Arbeloa, Lucas.

• Advertisement

Fu*king rafa!

Reina
    Finnan-Carra-Hyypia-Riise
    Masch-Sissoko
    Benny---Gerrard---Babel
    Kuyt

Subs - Martin, Crouch, Kewell, Arbeloa, Lucas.

(the formation is a guess)

Mike.

thats what i would have guessed formation wise

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,692 ✭✭✭✭machiavellianme

Well that lineup doesnt eactly inspire me with confidence. Come on Stevie G. We're relying on you cos where else are the goals going to come from?

This is a huge match,we need 3 points big time.

Fu*king rafa!

Reina
    Finnan-Carra-Hyypia-Riise
    Masch-Sissoko
    Benny---Gerrard---Babel
    Kuyt

Subs - Martin, Crouch, Kewell, Arbeloa, Lucas.

(the formation is a guess)

Mike.

I'd say you have got it right although It could be this -

Reina

Finnan--Carra-Hyypia-Riise

Gerrard-Masch-Sissoko-Benny

Kuyt-Babel

Seeing as Babel played up front during the week. If it is the formation you said I would much rather Crouch there. Not only does he carry much more of a goal threat than Kuyt, he links up really well with Gerrard when he plays in the hole.

• Advertisement
This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement