Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Liverpool Rumours And General Discussion 2007/2008

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 25,243 ✭✭✭✭Jesus Wept

Just turned on my Telly for the first time in days.

RTE 1 pops on and I hear a version of 'You'll Never Walk Alone' being sung.

It was the musical 'Carousel' by Rodgers and Hammerstein who wrote 'You'll Never Walk Alone' in 1945 for said musical.

What an Omen!!

CMON DE BOYS!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,048 ✭✭✭Unearthly

copacetic wrote: »
    I think everyone knows that, but it is free setanta pack for people who have sky this week, but not ntl afaik. Thats what people are wondering.

What's this then?

I still don't have Setanta on Sky :(

• Moderators, Regional South East Moderators Posts: 9,045 Mod ✭✭✭✭Aquos76

Its only selected progs on Liverpools own channels which are going to be free on Sky
    Sunday, November 4, 8pm: Reds in Europe - a chance to revisit that famous night in Istanbul when Liverpool won the 2005 Champions League.

Monday, November 5, 9pm: This Is Anfield - Liverpool legend Ronnie Whelan looks forward to the Fulham game on November 10.

Tuesday, November 6, 6.15pm: The Match: A Closer Look – Ex-Liverpool midfielder Jan Molby dissects our game against Blackburn Rovers.

Wednesday, November 7, 6.30pm: Sixty Minutes with...Jan Molby.

Thursday, November 8, 9pm: The John Barnes Show - John Barnes is joined in the studio by special guests Bruce Grobbelaar, Tommy Lawrence and Brian Hall.

Friday, November 9, 9pm: Big Match Build Up - a look ahead to the Liverpool v Fulham clash at Anfield.

taken from another forum

• Closed Accounts Posts: 620 ✭✭✭NotWormBoy

Shocking game so far. Worst match I've watched in a long time. Hope Mascherano isn't injured, not with Alonso out as well. We're not playing to our front 4's game - by keeping it close and moving off the ball. Its almost as if they think Crouch is on the field at times.

Mind you, Blackburn are pressing well.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,139 ✭✭✭flanzer

Looks like Rafa's making a balls of it again. Too many midfielders looking for a pass back to the defence. Kuyt only has had about 10 touches of the ball. He completely isolated. Gerrard doesn't know where to play

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,692 ✭✭✭✭machiavellianme

Kuyt is rubbish even when he does get it anyway. Bring on Crouch and Harry ASAP

Kuyt is rubbish even when he does get it anyway. Bring on Crouch and Harry ASAP

And Lucas for Momo also

• Closed Accounts Posts: 88,972 ✭✭✭✭mike65

Jebus I'm listening to this and nearly fell asleep.

Mike.

• Moderators, Education Moderators Posts: 9,645 Mod ✭✭✭✭mayordenis

please you people don't know anything,
    nobody should ever have kuyt and rubbish in the same sentance, unless of course it's this sentance.
    rafa has far from made a balls of it, you people are so sensational its half time like, blackburn have defended with 10 men behind when liverpool have had the ball, and that is certainly a fact, dunn was hugely unlucky but jesus go get jobs at setanta as pundits ye'd fit in perfectly.

Ok, look back to last weeks game or any week where Kuyt has played recently and the same comments creep up. He cant use the ball when he gets it. He has 2 PL goals this year- both were penalties against Everton. Aside from scoring those 2, he did nothing else in that game. He also has 2 assists, one against Derby. I'd happily let the trio of Kuyt, Voronin and Crouch go if we could get even one decent replacement.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 20,617 ✭✭✭✭PHB

I think the problem stems from the fact that Gerrards position is defo RW, no doubt about that in my mind. But without him in central midfield [i.e. not as an AMC, but getting the ball early in the play], and Alonso being injured, you have very little creativity. If Alonso was there he'd be spreading the play down the wings, Babel and Yossi would be able to really stretch the team at which point Gerrard could really utilise the space. As it is, midfield aren't distributing the ball properly. I'm not sure how you fix that though with the players you have availible, maybe drop Gerrard back in the center.

Sissoko's pass just there was the perfect example.

Playing one up front with a vast gap between him and the rest ain't working.

Hard to see a goal except from a set-piece.

Mike.

Kuyt's a great player, but he needs someone to work with - its what he does best. Even if its Gerrard - and even though he's on the field he's hardly had the ball up near Kuyt. He's not a lone striker.

comparitivly positive start to the second half for the 'pool.
    not sure what crouch would do in this game if he was as isolated as kuyt is.

thats why we need Harry

thats why we need Harry

i won't disagree with that

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,213 ✭✭✭Keith186

Setanta isn't free on Sky, just checked there, got my hopes up!
    Hopefully it'll be on The Premiership at least, they can be selective in showing the 5.15 games sometimes.

I don't think I want to watch any of this one!

Mike.

Carragher fouls again due to a Hyypia error. Kewell's coming on, this is gona be interesting :)

• Advertisement

WTF? Gerrard and Kuyt comedy.

Babel off Kewell on

Mike.

Kuyt just was utterly utterly utterly shocking. Brilliant direction of his defenders by Friedal, absolutely fantastic.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,326 ✭✭✭Zapp Brannigan

What was Kuyt doing?

C'mon Harry save the day!!

What was Kuyt thinking there with Gerrard? Has he not the bottle to take a shot on his own? Should've been a goal. Instead he just toepokes it across to Friedel.

Crouch coming on. Benny off.

Mike.

It's a pity its not their Benny going off. Kuyt needs some time with the reserves. Maybe the rest of the season.

• Advertisement

kewell has probably been the best player for liverpool today, good ball in from kuyt to put gerrard through for that last shot, gerrard ran at kuyt for the other break away, gerrards fault if you ask me.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,411 ✭✭✭shotamoose

Nice move by Gerrard and Kuyt. Ooh and header off the line! We're actually playing now ...

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,326 ✭✭✭Zapp Brannigan

Kuyt!? How!?

If ever there's an argument that Crouch should get picked ahead of Kuyt, I think it's today

Crouch making the difference but will Rafa ever learn?

To quote Jimmy Arnfield - since Crouch came on Liverpool have had more options, that did'nt happen by accident.

Mike

• Advertisement

Dreadful muck! My eyes are sore after watching that

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,430 ✭✭✭Sizzler

It's a pity its not their Benny going off. Kuyt needs some time with the reserves. Maybe the rest of the season.

LOL :D

January window is looming, Wigan need someone to play up front with Heskey lol

mike65 wrote: »

To quote Jimmy Arnfield - since Crouch came on Liverpool have had more options, that did'nt happen by accident.

Mike

It was because Harry's back too ;)

I'm actually beginning to think Kuyt is worse than Cisse

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 888 ✭✭✭Kanney

What a joke. Fulham next week then Torres will be back. Besiktas tho....
    Kewell and Crouch shoudl've started.

• Subscribers Posts: 16,592 ✭✭✭✭copacetic

Mike

kewell was the real difference imo. Kuyt seems to have lost all confidence in front of goal. In the end we had enough chances to win by 3 or 4 but never actually looked like doing it..

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,430 ✭✭✭Sizzler

I'm actually beginning to think Kuyt is worse than Cisse

Man U
    Arsenal
    Newcastle
    Spurs
    Chelsea
    Blackburn

Kuyt wouldnt even make the bench for any of those teams, lets be honest.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,508 ✭✭✭Daemonic

Kuyt is not suited to being the leading attacker. Last season when he was impressive it was in support of Crouch or Bellamy. Not sure if the pressure of being expected to score gets to him or what but once he gets out of this awful run of form he can do a job as the support striker, but he really should never, ever, ever lead the attack again.
    EVER.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,067 ✭✭✭✭Tusky

Why do Liverpool only start to play in the last 15 minutes lately ? I think a loss would have been unfair on either side. Liverpool were dire in first half and Blackburn had some good chances and hit the woodwork. Liverpool had plenty of chances in the second half.

Kewell looked good when he came on, as did Crouch. Mascherano was brilliant again.

Hyypia & Kuyt were awful. Kuyt is about as far from a goal threat as you can get. Never looks dangerous.

So frustrated by the tactics.

It's like we don't even attempt to score a goal away from home for the first 60-75 mins.

It was around the 60th minute before Rafa started making changes, which seems earlier than usual, but still way too late.

My heart sank when I saw that we were starting with one out and out striker. How often do we get on the score sheet with that tactic? (even more so when it's Kuyt)

Why won't Rafa give Crouch some games?

:(

Why do Liverpool only start to play in the last 15 minutes?

Answer is above (Crouch) allied to some desperation i guess. Only one man can tell us why he sets Liverpool up to defend for 80 mins.

Mike.

• Advertisement

The official site is still heralding this unbeaten run. I'd rather we'd been beaten long ago and give Rafa the wake up call he needs. We are now in 7th and if we continue the way we're playing lately I can only see us dropping further. Draws are just not good enough.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 38,247 ✭✭✭✭Guy:Incognito

Jesuis Sizzler, you really know how to grab something you dont know much about and escalate the crap out of it. Kuyt is a very good player and very important to the Liverpool team and how it works. Yes, he's never going to be a 20goal a season man, but thats not why he's in the team.

He's there as support to the main striker and to do the donkey work, which he does very well. He should not be played up front on his own and until today I thought Rafa knew that. He runs all day, chases losr causes and breaks a lot of things up in the opposition half that could easily develope into something worse in ours. He's a player that will set up a good few and pick up a goal here and there. Probably get 10-14 a season but be directly invovled with 20-25 more.

Kuyt and another striker (Torres when fit) shoudl be the preferred front 2. A front two without Kuyt wouldnt be as effective.

On another note, yet another draw :rolleyes:. I'm sure the "unbeaten run" crowd will be delighted, but it's just not good enough. Anythign other than a win against Fulham next wek and I dont think declaring a crisis would be going too far.

Hopefully another couple of dropped points in midweek will put an end to the CL and Rafa will prioritse the league 100%.

Much better to win one and loose one than draw two.

Mike.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,067 ✭✭✭✭Tusky

Last time I remember Kuyt as a lone striker with Gerrard behind was Champions League final. Much the same result. Hes just not clinical enough.

Much better to win one and loose one than draw two.

Mike.

Indeed, 5 draws in the last 7 premiership games according to Setanta.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,087 ✭✭✭Duiske

It just gets more and more frustrating watching this team. The board now really have to take a look at Rafa's position. Its just not working out. He is just too stuck in his ways, and will never accept that his "anything but lose" philosophy will not cut it in the Premiership. Fine if your happy with 4th/5th every season, but Liverpool will never win the PL with this man in charge. Not a chance !

This is Liverpools run so far,
    W-D-W-W-D-D-W-D-W-D-D

The top 3 is starting to take shape, the question is, can Liverpool keep up? Arsenal, United and Chelsea are all starting to get a run going. Liverpool have regressed massively from the start of the season, and I'm starting to think the start was the odd patch, and this is gona be the norm.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 10,259 ✭✭✭✭Melion

Duiske_Lad wrote: »
    It just gets more and more frustrating watching this team. The board now really have to take a look at Rafa's position. Its just not working out. He is just too stuck in his ways, and will never accept that his "anything but lose" philosophy will not cut it in the Premiership. Fine if your happy with 4th/5th every season, but Liverpool will never win the PL with this man in charge. Not a chance !

And it starts again!!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 20,277 ✭✭✭✭Cyrus

phb thats nonsense and you know it, liverpool started ok and are now having a bad patch, they are more than capable (and have done the past few seasons alas too late) of going on a good run of winning games.

they need to win the next 3/4 games on the trot or forget about the title, i still think benitez deserves at least another year, he is still building a team

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 20,277 ✭✭✭✭Cyrus

also has everyone forgotten rafas valencia team, he is not an inherently defensive coach, i assume he feels he hasnt got the attacking personnel at the moment to play a more expansive game (and compared to man u, arsenal and chelski we dont)

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement