Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Liverpool Rumours And General Discussion 2007/2008

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 29,372 ✭✭✭✭Mr Alan

on reflection this morning with a cool head, i dont want Bill to go anywhere....it'd be heartbreaking if he left :) And he does try and pull them up on ****, "Gentlemen, i think its fair to say you have egg on your face!"... ha ha ha
    just wish he was a bit more "in the know" about football! But then sure i suppose he wouldnt be the Bill we all know and love!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 41,926 ✭✭✭✭_blank_

redspider is talking bollox about Bill and the lads there imo.

Every week, be it Champions League or International Match, there is someone on here talking about Eamon Dunphy and what a "clown" he is.

He slags off ManYoo to play up to the Liverpool fans, and vice versa.

I love sitting there with my ManYoo supporting mates and watching them getting all riled up with Dunphy.

Bill lets him away with it for this reason.

It's called entertainment, and RTE have it bang on. It's about the only thing they have bang on.

Look at their eircom League coverage for instance. Roddy Collins talks utter shíte, and he annoys people.

And what's that guys name on the Gah coverage, Spillane? Isn't he the same?

And Hook on the rugger.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,942 ✭✭✭missingtime

Okie doke so...

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,482 ✭✭✭RE*AC*TOR

Just about awake now. A long round-trip from Dublin to Liverpool via Holyhead.

Haven't been over to Anfield in about a year, and it certainly seems to have been a good match to pick. I can't say much that hasn't been said already. I thought Mascherano dominated the game from the middle. He did a good impression of Xabi's first season at Anfield. Voronin was excellent, especially with linking up around the box. And of course Benayoun, great showing. He gave absolutely everything and worked his ass off the whole match.

Later on when Babel was switched up front he looked a different player to when he plays on the wing. He looked much more natural there. He's possibly even faster than Torres in that situation.

Kewell is one composed bastard on the ball, unlike anyone else we have on the left wing.

Arbeloa and Aurelio both did well, but then again the defense did not have a lot of work to do.

I don't really want to say it, but Riise stood out as the weak link from last night. I know he can play a lot better, it just doesn't seem to be happening for him at the moment.

Don't know how the crowd came across on the tv, but sitting in the Kop, the atmosphere was great. There were a few lulls at various points, but not for long. One thing I did notice was that every time the Kop started chanting "Rafa Benitez", he seemed to briefly raise his hand in the direction of the Kop, in acknowledgment.

The Besiktas fans were hopping well before kick off. And fair-play to them they kept going for a long time. Whatever arguments we may have about support of various English teams, none of them have supporters who make that much noise for such a sustained period.

I suspect had the match been tighter, they would have outsung the home support.

On the Liverpool end - I really should learn the words to "Poor Scouser Tommy", for future matches, its a great song. The "Javier Mascherano" chant to the tune of the Seven Nation Army riff is good, but I don't think the crowd were hitting enough of the notes to make it clear what the tune was. Also I don't like what's been done to the Rafa Benitez song (the one to La Bamba). Its lost the rythmn of the original version.

Attached a wee picture from before kick-off (we were there early).

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,283 ✭✭✭gucci

Cyrus wrote: »

he should wear that hat more often...makes him look far more knowledgable!!

i loved how souness said before the match that the standard of turkish football was poor (or words to that effect!) hope someone from the FAI were paying attention when they're looking at his CV!!

Scouser Tommy = Best Football Song Ever

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 21,254 Mod ✭✭✭✭Dub13

RE*AC*TOR wrote: »
    On the Liverpool end - I really should learn the words to "Poor Scouser Tommy", for future matches, its a great song. The "Javier Mascherano" chant to the tune of the Seven Nation Army riff is good, but I don't think the crowd were hitting enough of the notes to make it clear what the tune was. Also I don't like what's been done to the Rafa Benitez song (the one to La Bamba). Its lost the rythmn of the original version.

Let me tell you the story of a poor boy
    Who was sent far away from his home
    To fight for his king and his country
    And also the old folks back home

So they put him in a Highland division
    Sent him off to a far foreign land
    Where the flies swarm around in their thousands
    And there's nothing to see but the sands

In a battle that started next morning
    Under a Libyan sun
    I remember that poor Scouser Tommy
    Who was shot by an old Nazi gun

As he lay on the battle field dying (dying dying)
    With the blood gushing out of his head (of his head)
    As he lay on the battle field dying (dying dying)
    These were the last words he said...

Oh...I am a Liverpudlian
    I come from the Spion Kop
    I like to sing, I like to shout
    I get thrown out quite a lot (every week)

We support the team that's dressed in red
    A team that we all know
    A team that we call Liverpool
    And to glory we will go

We've won the League, we've won the Cup
    We've been to Europe too
    We played the Toffees for a laugh
    And we left them feeling blue - Five Nil !

One two
    One two three
    One two three four
    Five nil !

Rush scored one
    Rush scored two
    Rush scored three
    And Rush scored four!

Poor Scouser Tommy Clip

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 21,254 Mod ✭✭✭✭Dub13

Here's a couple more without onscreen lyrics...

Fields Of Anfield Road

Liverbird Upon My Chest

I will add a few more in anybody is interested.

(end of Poor Scouser Tommy)
    na na na na na
    na na na na na

All ya need is Rush! (da, da, da ,da, da)
    All ya need is Rush! (da, da, da, da, da
    All ya need is Rush! Rush!
    Rush is all ya need! Rush is all ya need!

(to the tune of All you need is love by The Beatles)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,095 ✭✭✭zing

“It is a really positive day for the club,” said Benitez “to be in the record books and get the go-ahead for the new stadium makes a lot of people really happy.

“It’s almost a perfect day.”

Why not perfect?

“They had one chance,” smiled the perfectionist Reds manager.

:D:D

http://icliverpool.icnetwork.co.uk/0500liverpoolfc/0100news/tm_headline=rafa-benitez-celebrates-almost-perfect-day%26method=full%26objectid=20076012%26siteid=50061-name_page.html

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,006 ✭✭✭xabi

Was teh 8 nil a record in the CL only or in the European Cup?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,538 ✭✭✭PiE

• Closed Accounts Posts: 88,972 ✭✭✭✭mike65

CL only, 11-0 is the biggest in the old format I think.

Mike.

Football was invented when Sky bought the Premierleague and the Champions League came into being.

I thought everyone knew that.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,411 ✭✭✭shotamoose

RE*AC*TOR wrote: »
    Later on when Babel was switched up front he looked a different player to when he plays on the wing. He looked much more natural there. He's possibly even faster than Torres in that situation.

True, that bit where he was running back from an offside position then reversed and ran back onto a through-pass and still outpaced the defender was scary. Still think he needs to be way more composed and aware of others but that'll come hopefully.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,910 ✭✭✭✭whatawaster

shotamoose wrote: »
    True, that bit where he was running back from an offside position then reversed and ran back onto a through-pass and still outpaced the defender was scary. Still think he needs to be way more composed and aware of others but that'll come hopefully.

Love the way he heaves defenders out of the way. He is extremely strong and quick, which is why i'm convinced he'll be a success. His touch is excellent too.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,070 ✭✭✭✭event

Dub13 wrote: »

while there is nothing like hearing YNWA, i cannot stand the above song

i think its awful

somewhat over-sang alright-mainly to do with the amount of oot who dont know the lyrics to the rest to be honest.

As i said earlier, "poor scouser tommy" = best Liverpool song ever (with the obvious exception), amazing that a song as complex and with as many lyrics gets sung by thousands of people in unison.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,441 ✭✭✭✭jesus_thats_gre

DesF wrote: »
    Football was invented when Sky bought the Premierleague and the Champions League came into being.

I thought everyone knew that.

This sorta **** been constantly brought up really ****s me right off. Get over it for **** sake.. No one cares anymore!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,225 ✭✭✭Chardee MacDennis

Mr Alan wrote: »
    somewhat over-sang alright-mainly to do with the amount of oot who dont know the lyrics to the rest to be honest.

OOT is a bad bad phrase... really annoys me when scousers give out about us.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 6,942 ✭✭✭missingtime

Huzzah!

apologies about OOT but you know wat i mean (obviously considering i live in Dublin!:)), people who go over and sing ****e like "who are ya?!" and dont know the words to the classic Liverpool songs, moan at the players constantly, dont get involved in the Anfield atmosphere and generally act the tit. The moaning scousers? Liverpool is their club, despite its world wide fan base, the least people should do going over is show the team the nescessary respect, imo. Like going to someone elses house and acting the bollox, if ya get me.

Sometimes its like people are going over to observe the famous Liverpool atmosphere as opposed to getting involved.

as a scouse fella said who i was talking to over there last week, OOT is a state of mind-not a location.

oot
    :eek:

Call_me_al wrote: »
    OOT is a bad bad phrase... really annoys me when scousers give out about us.

Why?

That's exactly what you are.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,692 ✭✭✭✭machiavellianme

What is OOT? Or where is it? (whichever is more appropriate). I just came from the Nintendo forum and immediately thought I must be in the wrong thread cos theyre talking about Ocarina of Time? No idea whats going on here?

Out Of Towners: Generally thought of as people who come from outside L4 and ruin the atmosphere and are sunshine supporters and apparently thats why european nights are so special because they have the lowest amount of OOTers.

because it has negative connotations, just like certain racist words...

Out Of Towners

What?

People from Liverpool (and other places in Britain) calling people from Ireland Out Of Towners is racist?

My jaysis, I've heard it all now.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 88,972 ✭✭✭✭mike65

OOT Out of towers? I'm guessing.

Mike.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 184 ✭✭Fwaggle

Are you serious?!

Generally thought of as people who come from outside L4 and ruin the atmosphere
    The atmosphere is better if everyone knows the lyrics to the songs being sung, and can sing along.
    and are sunshine supporters
    Is this what hurts the most?
    and apparently thats why european nights are so special because they have the lowest amount of OOTers.
    Well, they do.

More Liverpudlians can go to matches where tickets haven't been issued/booked months in advance.

• Advertisement

no coz it means you are a **** fan and a sunshine supporter. extreme example i realise but I was getting at the fact where the word in itself doesn't mean much but it is always said in a condescending way.

also just because i am from outside L4 doesn't i don't know the words to songs or don't sing along - what about all the season ticket holders who don't turn up to games against Fulham, Derby etc, I would see them as much worse.

More Liverpudlians can go to matches where tickets haven't been issued/booked months in advance.

don't understand this point? the reason there are less people from outside Liverpool at eurpoean nights is because it means having to take a day off work etc.

as i said earlier Al..... OOT is a state of mind not a location ;)

i agree Alan, talking to Des mainly. who i have a feeling could be on the verge of a 'sure you should support a team from your own country' rant.

don't understand this point? the reason there are less people from outside Liverpool at eurpoean nights is because it means having to take a day off work etc.

point remains the same though, the atmosphere is a lot better because there is less lads from Kerry etc etc to see the famous kopites!

there has always been loads of irish going to see Liverpool, the problem is the standard of fan going over now imo, i realise my opinions wont be appreciated by some, but unfortunately, its true, people buying hotdogs, foam hands, clapping half way through YNWA, singing about mancs,chelsea at every match etc etc......typical example, guy who works with me i met in Athens at the CL final (i didnt have a ticket,either did thousands of scousers) he did and it was the first and only liverpool game he has ever attended. shocking

i agree Alan, talking to Des mainly. who i have a feeling could be on the verge of a 'sure you should support a team from your own country' rant.

he wouldnt dare ;)

also just because i am from outside L4 doesn't i don't know the words to songs or don't sing along -
    But the person in this thread who went to the match said he didn't know the words.

what about all the season ticket holders who don't turn up to games against Fulham, Derby etc, I would see them as much worse.
    Yep, agreed.
    This is total bollox imo.

I know a fan of a particular English club, season ticket holder, who also goes to all of the European games. He uses his annual leave to do this. He doesn't lose out on any money in his monthly wage form work in doing this. He works bank holidays and late evenings to make up extra time he needs.

If people really, really wanted to support their team, they would do it, instead of cherry picking matches.
    My feelings on that subject are well and truly documented on this message board, and I'm not getting back into it, but no, I wasn't getting on that particular horse, despite what you may think.

The same phrase is used in Manchester, and to be fair, they have a bigger point. Old Trafford was sold out for every match for many years in the nineties and early 2000s, and many local supporters who were regulars for decades were left ticketless because of the influx of sunshiners and OOTers from Ireland, Essex and Asia. Same situation is happening in Liverpool no doubt. Hence the apparent hatred.

point remains the same though, the atmosphere is a lot better because there is less lads from Kerry etc etc to see the famous kopites!

there has always been loads of irish going to see Liverpool, the problem is the standard of fan going over now imo, i realise my opinions wont be appreciated by some, but unfortunately, its true, people buying hotdogs, foam hands, clapping half way through YNWA, singing about mancs,chelsea at every match etc etc......typical example, guy who works with me i met in Athens at the CL final (i didnt have a ticket,either did thousands of scousers) he did and it was the first and only liverpool game he has ever attended. shocking
    Al, you may want to sit down here, I totally agree with you.

The thing is, the local people see ALL people at matches that aren't from Liverpool as being like this.

The majority of people not from Liverpool ARE like this.

I do not know how anyone who sees a team playing live, in the stadium, less than ten times a year at least, can call themselves a fan of that team is beyond me. I just don't understand it.

What is worse is the people who sit in bars wee-in week-out with their Liverpool/ManYoo/Chelsea or whoever jersies on them and can get so riled up about a team they have NEVER seen play, let alone visit the city.

the irish team thing was tongue in cheek.
    I do not know how anyone who sees a team playing live, in the stadium, less than ten times a year at least, can call themselves a fan of that team is beyond me. I just don't understand it.

anyway i don't see Ireland play that much, am i not an Irish fan?

I go to as many matches as I can afford as a student which is generally between 2 & 3 a season, and not just the big games, been to see them vs TNS and will hopefully get over for the hammers game and/or a european game. I can get tickets for the derbies because I know someone involved with Everton and so they are my definite 2 games a year.

obviously when i am earning it will be much more games and hopefully a season ticket when the new stadium opens but are you seriously saying I shouldn't be able to call myself a fan until then?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,538 ✭✭✭PiE

10 games a year folks, that's the new official bare minimum. Hand over jersies, tracksuits and any other paraphenalia you bought in the mistaken idea that you were somehow a fan supporting your team. It'll be returned to you when you provide 10 ticket stubs.

Thanks for your co-operation.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 10,259 ✭✭✭✭Melion

PiE wrote: »
    10 games a year folks, that's the new official bare minimum. Hand over jersies, tracksuits and any other paraphenalia you bought in the mistaken idea that you were somehow a fan supporting your team. It'll be returned to you when you provide 10 ticket stubs.

Thanks for your co-operation.

What do i do with the liverbird tattoo i have on my leg?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 20,277 ✭✭✭✭Cyrus

im a massive liverpool fan, have been since i was 6, i have cheered, smiled, cried about/for that team for the past 21 years.

i have never been to anfield, i am going to go soon and i cant wait but for one reason or another (and i dont know why) i havent gotten over.

I never miss a match if its on radio or tv

but apparently im not a fan? :rolleyes:

• Moderators, Education Moderators Posts: 5,495 Mod ✭✭✭✭spockety

Do you understand quantum mechanics?

Liverpool

I totally agree with you.
    christ i nearly fell over when i read that!
    see i'm not that bad des, some of wat i actually say makes sense sometimes (granted not much though ;))
    The thing is, the local people see ALL people at matches that aren't from Liverpool as being like this.

not sure how it is with any other clubs, but the people in Liverpool arent like that really, as long as you aint acting a tit they will always give you the benefit of the doubt and have good crack. obviously some hardcore elements may feel differently, but they are in a minority and i have never experienced anything like that.
    The majority of people not from Liverpool ARE like this.

unfortunately, i agree with that.
    I do not know how anyone who sees a team playing live, in the stadium, less than ten times a year at least, can call themselves a fan of that team is beyond me. I just don't understand it..

i wouldnt put a quota on it tbh, depending on disposable income etc etc, again i feel its better judged by the quality of the supportor as opposed to the amount they go over, after all someone may go over 15 times a year and still be a tit, disrespectful of both the club and its traditions and someone may go over 5 times a year and be much more the calibre of fan that a club like liverpool deserves
    What is worse is the people who sit in bars wee-in week-out with their Liverpool/ManYoo/Chelsea or whoever jersies on them and can get so riled up about a team they have NEVER seen play, let alone visit the city.

again, i agree 100%, i haven't watched a Liverpool game in a bar in quite some time out of choice, due to the fact that most of the clowns there wreck my head. (unless the game was on nowhere else)

• Advertisement

Cyrus wrote: »
    im a massive liverpool fan, have been since i was 6, i have cheered, smiled, cried about/for that team for the past 21 years.

i have never been to anfield, i am going to go soon and i cant wait but for one reason or another (and i dont know why) i havent gotten over.

I never miss a match if its on radio or tv

but apparently im not a fan? :rolleyes:

i aint giving ya stick-each to their own and all that.

but why havent ya been over?

spockety wrote: »
    Do you understand quantum mechanics?

brilliant!! :D

• Moderators, Education Moderators Posts: 9,645 Mod ✭✭✭✭mayordenis

this is absolute tripe and if i wasn't on a short leash in here i would let you know what this kind of absolute nonsense makes you.
    i've been twice so far this season and thats becuase i have some money i love and think i would put the club probably before my family, liverpool at times have seemed like my reason for being.
    i've been out crying after both big wins and big defeats even if i am a few hundred miles away, you and your close minded ****e have no room in a thread populated by many people who are real fans, your only a fan so you can say you're a fan.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,910 ✭✭✭✭whatawaster

mayordenis wrote: »
    this is absolute tripe and if i wasn't on a short leash in here i would let you know what this kind of absolute nonsense makes you.
    i've been twice so far this season and thats becuase i have some money i love and think i would put the club probably before my family, liverpool at times have seemed like my reason for being.
    i've been out crying after both big wins and big defeats even if i am a few hundred miles away, you and your close minded ****e have no room in a thread populated by many people who are real fans, your only a fan so you can say you're a fan.

Agreed. Some very idiotic posts today.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 20,277 ✭✭✭✭Cyrus

i aint giving ya stick-each to their own and all that.

but why havent ya been over?

i actually dont know, tried to organise a few times and it fell thro, ive no excuse really, money not an issue etc

i just have never gotten round to it :(

• Advertisement
This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement