Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Liverpool Rumours And General Discussion 2007/2008

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,910 ✭✭✭✭whatawaster

PiE wrote: »
    If it really is £17m, we'll have to sacrifice some semi-fringe players to finance Mascherano without affecting other prospective transfers. Any decent offer for Momo £7m+ will be accepted I'd say.

I'd say there has been a provision for Mascherano's deal since we signed him so it probably won't affect other transfers.

Mr Alan wrote: »
    Didnt we turn down 11 million in the summer? he has signed a new deal since. The money players go for now, i'd be shocked if we settled for less than 10 million. In fact, if we couldnt get 10 million for him, i'd hang on and keep him for games when ya just want him to go out and bang into people and harass them out of possession a la Barca last year :)

I think his stock has definitely fallen this year. I agree that unless we get a decent amount for him (i'd call 7 decent) then he's worth hanging on to as long as he's willing to accept he is back up.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 29,372 ✭✭✭✭Mr Alan

I dont think his stock has fallen that much, if at all, he could NEVER pass the ball, that is not just a new thing this year :)

He could be very well suited to a different league where he has a littke more time on the ball.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 20,277 ✭✭✭✭Cyrus

momo hasnt really got a whole lot worse, he is a very effective player,

his problem is that mascherano is better, we are blessed in this respect

a lot of managers would bite yer hand off for sissoko

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,538 ✭✭✭PiE

I'd say there has been a provision for Mascherano's deal since we signed him so it probably won't affect other transfers.

I still don't fully believe any of the figures being tossed around about the Masch deal but I'd be very surprised if we agreed a £17m fee for a player who couldn't break into the West Ham squad (regardless if everyone else knew he was good enough to!).

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 20,277 ✭✭✭✭Cyrus

why is it hard to believe

it is an option to buy we didnt have to exercise it, msi paid a fortune for him, they are hardly gonna give him away

17 million for Mascherano is great business.

But I wouldnt be suprised if it was less than that, and i dont ever expect to know exactly how much we pay.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 10,259 ✭✭✭✭Melion

£17m for Masch is a snip, he will be one of the best centre midfielders for the next 10 years, he is top class. Sissoko is surely down to 5th choice now.

Cyrus wrote: »
    why is it hard to believe
    Because there's been so many different figures and permutations thrown around at this stage I don't think anyone knows.

I don't think MSI were in any position to demand huge fees at the time the deal was struck.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 3,413 ✭✭✭HashSlinging

Eh 17mill for Masch you've got to be crazy. He's good but not that good. 8 - 12max. 17 mill!! thats crazy money. no way. who else is gonna pay that much for him..

I blame the song for at least 5 mill of that.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 38,247 ✭✭✭✭Guy:Incognito

Mr Alan wrote: »
    I dont think his stock has fallen that much, if at all, he could NEVER pass the ball, that is not just a new thing this year :)

He could be very well suited to a different league where he has a littke more time on the ball.

I reckon it's the same situation as Traore. Everyone thought he was good for a while but realised he had been crap all along. :-)

Eh 17mill for Masch you've got to be crazy. He's good but not that good. 8 - 12max. 17 mill!! thats crazy money. no way. who else is gonna pay that much for him..

I blame the song for at least 5 mill of that.

are you for real? 17 million for Masch is a steal, less than anderson, less than SWP, nearly half the price of Tevez, around the same as darren bent, in this day and age, to buy a young, unbelievably talented argentinian international regular for 17 million.... yes please :)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 20,617 ✭✭✭✭PHB

who else is gonna pay that much for him..

I'd be happy for United to pay 17 million for him. The lad is quality.

who'd pay 17 million for him?
    Juve
    Real
    Barca
    Utd
    Bayern
    .......basically any club tat could afford it!

• Moderators, Music Moderators Posts: 11,373 Mod ✭✭✭✭lordgoat

don't think utd would buy him, hargreaves, does pretty much the same job and covers more ground.

• Advertisement

point was more that Utd would pay 17 million for him if they hadnt have just paid the same sort of money for Hargreaves. ie that he was easily worth that, which is wat Hashslinging didnt agree with.

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 22,854 Mod ✭✭✭✭Bounty Hunter

if reports are to be believed you will be getting 8.25m more from Villa to make Carsons signing pemanent, for a total of 10m inc the fee paid for the season long loan.

if reports are to be believed you will be getting 8.25m more from Villa to make Carsons signing pemanent, for a total of 10m inc the fee paid for the season long loan.

sounds about right in this crazy transfer market, shame he never got a chance at Liverpool.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,105 ✭✭✭mada999

Reina is better than Carson though....

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 20,617 ✭✭✭✭PHB

lordgoat wrote: »
    don't think utd would buy him, hargreaves, does pretty much the same job and covers more ground.

Except Mascherano is a good deal younger. If you bought him our first choice front 6 would be sorted for about 10 years :) Somebody who is that good when he is so young is a real talent. They can only really get better if managed correctly, and I remain hopeful that United will try and poach him this summer :)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 15,399 ✭✭✭✭Thanx 4 The Fish

mada999 wrote: »
    Reina is better than Carson though....

True but Carson is better than itandje

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,508 ✭✭✭Daemonic

True but Carson is better than itandje
    ...but too good to be content sitting on the bench as Reina's backup.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,225 ✭✭✭Chardee MacDennis

we did only pay a million for him so it's a nice tidy profit, but i had hoped he would have pushed Reina for starting place.

• Users Awaiting Email Confirmation Posts: 933 ✭✭✭dardoz

is the liverpool match on tv today lads?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,692 ✭✭✭✭machiavellianme

There'll be other up and coming goalies in the future and 9 million is a nice profit on a goalie. Good luck to Scott. Pity he never made it to our first team but Reina is pretty young and seems a lot better. Hope he does well at Villa (except when we play them).

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,233 ✭✭✭darkskol

dardoz wrote: »
    is the liverpool match on tv today lads?

Its on setanta sports 1 for those who have it.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 88,972 ✭✭✭✭mike65

Its repeated in full on Setanta Ireland at 10.10 pm. Might be worth staying in/up for.

Mike.

Just a quick one for all the people bitchign about Kuyt lately.

He has played 44 pl games for us and scored 14 goals. Berbatov, the current best player in the world ever apparently(joint top with Nakamura),also has 14 pl goals in 44 games.

Kuyt has also scored CL goals, inc one in a final. Add to that the sheer work effort of the guy and it cant be all that bad so.

I read that article too.

Some would say Berbatov's scored the same amount of goals in a worse team, which makes it a bit more impressive.

Still don't want Kuyt playing today. He's in a bad patch of form and that should mean the others get a chance to capitalise.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,731 ✭✭✭el rabitos

so come on then couch potatoes, before the line up and result comes in today, are we slating rafa for..

(a) picking torres - "****ing rotation! rafa out! rabble rabble..."

or

(b) sticks with same players - "****ing rafa doesnt get the premiership! have to play your best 11!!

just so i know how to react this week ya know...

• Advertisement

PiE wrote: »
    I read that article too.

Some would say Berbatov's scored the same amount of goals in a worse team, which makes it a bit more impressive.

Still don't want Kuyt playing today. He's in a bad patch of form and that should mean the others get a chance to capitalise.

Spurs had a good season last season, not so good this but that is down to the players not performing, Berbatov is playing in that team so is one fo the players. Plus Kuyt is not an out and out goalscorer to begon wiith.

Thing i though, judging by attitudes towards berbatov, if he (and his goalscoring record) were transported into the Liverpool team, people would be happy with him, yet are screaming for Kuyt to be offloaded. Why?

Kuyt's had a bad couple of games but I still think he's the best partner for Torres. Voronin has offered nothing outsideof last Tuesday to indicate he'd be any better. Crouch isnt much different, he got a couple of goals on Tuesday but couldnt even hit the target with a couple of efforts last weekend. I'd gladly swap his 2 goals in midweek (or Yossi's hat-trick for that matter) for 1 goal from either last wekend.

el rabitos wrote: »
    so come on then couch potatoes, before the line up and result comes in today, are we slating rafa for..

(a) picking torres - "****ing rotation! rafa out! rabble rabble..."

or

(b) sticks with same players - "****ing rafa doesnt get the premiership! have to play your best 11!!

just so i know how to react this week ya know...

Assuming he's 100% Torres should play. Brining your top players back in after injury is not rotating, it's common sense. "resting" top players is rotation and I dont like it.

Stekelly wrote: »
    Assuming he's 100% Torres should play. Brining your top players back in after injury is not rotating, it's common sense. "resting" top players is rotation and I dont like it.

but u dont know what condition the players are in? we only see them week to week, rafa sees them every day, right?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 25,243 ✭✭✭✭Jesus Wept

I don't think many people on here are knocking rotation.

The-Rigger wrote: »
    I don't think many people on here are knocking rotation.

u must not come here often during and after liverpool games.

everyones a manager. we've got several anti-rotation-ists, several rafa outers, a whole bunch of he should have done this earliers, a united would have done it better and a couple of guys telling us we should be watching the eircom league.

its like pool is the club of the complainers, we wont be happy until sammy lee or souness is in charge, in fact, we demand it.

i'd like a combo of Souness as manager and Lil Sam as Asst - we would be unbeatable...

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 25,243 ✭✭✭✭Jesus Wept

Call_me_al wrote: »
    i'd like a combo of Souness as manager and Lil Sam as Asst - we would be unbeatable...

assistant :confused:

Make them Joint-Manager, I bet that would work.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 32,037 ✭✭✭✭~Rebel~

Im hoping to see largely the same team (as most of the players would be my first choice at the moment anyway). Would like Finnan, carra, Hypia and Aurelio in the back four to help Aurelio's recovery which is going well. This could be a good chance to try out Hobbs in for Hypia though, fairly low level opposition at home.

Would like almost the same midfield, but with Babel in for Riise.

Up front id like the same pair as both played very well on wednesday, unless Torres is really 100%. If he is fit, then i'd like to see an on-form Crouch with Torres. Potentially a very good partnership. If Fulham defend high up the pitch to keep Crouch from danger area, Torres has plenty of room to run into, and vice versa, if they defend close to goal, crouch can win plenty of ball for the runners to come onto, near goal.

Call_me_al wrote: »
    we would be unbeatable...

...in derbyshire

• Advertisement

and a couple of guys telling us we should be watching the eircom league.

But they sniff glue. :p

Radio City has just said Rafa has named the same starting 11 as Tueaday which must be a wind-up! :eek:

Mike.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 425 ✭✭Brando_ie

el rabitos wrote: »
    u must not come here often during and after liverpool games.

everyones a manager. we've got several anti-rotation-ists, several rafa outers, a whole bunch of he should have done this earliers, a united would have done it better and a couple of guys telling us we should be watching the eircom league.

its like pool is the club of the complainers, we wont be happy until sammy lee or souness is in charge, in fact, we demand it.

I usually try to avoid 'LOL' type replies because generally they are the type of replies that get in the way of decent threads..... but, for whatever reason, that post actually made me LOL (it's even tough to type it.... but what the hey...). I may be delirious with fatigue though, but LOL I did.....

As for me... I'm in the 'not sure how this season will pan out.... but for the love of god... start playing some entertaining football' club..... its a lonely club, but at least I get to catch up on some sleep.....

Starting line up confirmed as the same! :)

Mike.

wow thats crazy!

Stekelly wrote: »
    Just a quick one for all the people bitchign about Kuyt lately.

He has played 44 pl games for us and scored 14 goals. Berbatov, the current best player in the world ever apparently(joint top with Nakamura),also has 14 pl goals in 44 games.

Kuyt has also scored CL goals, inc one in a final. Add to that the sheer work effort of the guy and it cant be all that bad so.

Who needs a striker who puts in a massive workload? So you can pat him on the back after the game and go "Jolly good old chap, you ran a mighty 20km, pity you missed 10 gaping chances and failed to give a single decent cross to your team mate in a better position"? He constantly feeds the wrong ball through (usually over eloquently and it gets hoofed away) or squaders sitters. He might be a legend in Rotterdam, but he's yet to do much for us. This year he's slotted two penalties in the PL. Hardly saw him during that game. Where was he working? Around the corner flag? We have enough athletes. We need scores because we arent going to win leagues with nil alls and undefeated records. If he can step up to the mark, he can stay, otherwise, we need better and as a big club, I'm sure we could get better too.

quite happy with that. Riise is the only one id actively prefer didn't play.

With the fullbacks, they're all decent between aurelio, arbeloa and finnan, im happy for any combination of them to play.

Happy for the front 2 to play together again.

I expect Babel and Torres to come on

• Advertisement

Who needs a striker who puts in a massive workload? So you can pat him on the back after the game and go "Jolly good old chap, you ran a mighty 20km, pity you missed 10 gaping chances and failed to give a single decent cross to your team mate in a better position"? He constantly feeds the wrong ball through (usually over eloquently and it gets hoofed away) or squaders sitters. He might be a legend in Rotterdam, but he's yet to do much for us. This year he's slotted two penalties in the PL. Hardly saw him during that game. Where was he working? Around the corner flag? We have enough athletes. We need scores because we arent going to win leagues with nil alls and undefeated records. If he can step up to the mark, he can stay, otherwise, we need better and as a big club, I'm sure we could get better too.

He's on a bad run of form. I was thoroughly happy with him last season. He's shown throughout his career he can score all types of goals. When you're talking of "gaping chances" the level of league isn't relevent (an easy chance in england is no more difficult then holland). Im confident he'll come back to form and again show why i was so impressed with his last season. He was our premiership top scorer last season.

kuyt is a good player. He is just playing rubbish at the moment. Remember after the villa game people were singing his praises because of his understanding with Torres.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 10,259 ✭✭✭✭Melion

Why is everyone bitching and moaning about Kuyt? He has been played out of position all season, he's been on the right wing for **** sake. How can you expect him to get in a good run of form when he doesnt get to play in his favoured position.

Bench Martin, Finnan, Torres, Babel, Lucas. So no room for Kewell or Kuyt

Mike.

Kuyt was average last season but in beside Bellamy anyone would look good.
    We had the same problem last season as we have this year. We cant score enough goals. As long as everyone goes on about improving our run of form over the previous year (so what if we have 4 points more we're still 7th) or our unbeaten run, the most basic principle of winning things goes remains overlooked. To win, we simply need to out score our opponent. Why arent we doing it? We need firepower up front, especially if we continue to be a long ball team, they need to take their chances and finish consistently.

• Advertisement
This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement