Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Liverpool Rumours And General Discussion 2007/2008

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 32,037 ✭✭✭✭~Rebel~

On the topic of benches, I really hope Rafa and Svens proposal for a 7man bench comes in. Sounds a great idea. I hadn't realised thats how it works in spain.

Your normal 5 subs, plus 2 under 20's. Would be great to give a bit of game time to some o fthe potential up and comers, would also get them in on the experience of being with the first team for match days as well.

Machiavellianme; You're talking as if we're playing great football, making loads of chances and its just the strikers messing up thats costing us. Its not. The passing and teamwork throughout the squad this year has been fairly awful since the first international break. There are other more important issues then our strikers that need to be looked at. We seem to have copped on a little now (judging by midweek; yes the opposition were rubbish but i was just happy to see us finding a man with the passes), playing as a unit, getting passes right etc so hopefully that will carry on and THEN we can properly judge our strikers as part of a Team and see how we do, who compliments who etc.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,910 ✭✭✭✭whatawaster

Ugh. Riise again. Would prefer Harry or Babel or Anyone really.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,692 ✭✭✭✭machiavellianme

Thats fair enough Rebel, but looking at Sunderland, Bolton, and a lot of other "poor footballing" teams, they all have a poaching striker capable of taking his one chance of the afternoon. I know theres 10 guys playing sub par for us lately but if Kuyt took his one chance last week, it would have made all the difference.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,048 ✭✭✭Unearthly

mike65 wrote: »
    Starting line up confirmed as the same! :)

Mike.

It would be very interesting to hear what people will say if Liverpool don't get the result they expect

but that won't happen, Liverpool win

Unearthly wrote: »
    It would be very interesting to hear what people will say if Liverpool don't get the result they expect

but that won't happen, Liverpool win

If we cant beat Fulham at home, it absolutey won't be down to team selection.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,894 ✭✭✭Nunu

Bench Martin, Finnan, Torres, Babel, Lucas. So no room for Kewell or Kuyt

Mike.

Why in this a day in age does the Premiership still persist with only 5 subs when every other top league/european competition allows 7?

~Rebel~ wrote: »
    If we cant beat Fulham at home, it absolutey won't be down to team selection.

but isn't alot of the blame for a few results down to chopping and changing?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 16,658 ✭✭✭✭Peyton Manning

Nunu wrote: »
    Why in this a day in age does the Premiership still persist with only 5 subs when every other top league/european competition allows 7?

Ive read somewhere that the PL is actually considering a proposal to allow 7 substitutes but it wouldnt come in to effect until the start of next season if it is implicated at all.

Unearthly wrote: »
    but isn't alot of the blame for a few results down to chopping and changing?

yup, thats true, it doesn't make it right though.

In my opinion, the only game this year we underperformed in, where i genuinely though the 11 named might not be good enough, was the Portsmouth game. All the rest, the 11 picked should have been well capable.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 88,972 ✭✭✭✭mike65

Just a heads up for those who cant see but want to listen

http://www.bbc.co.uk/liverpool/index.shtml

click listen live

Mike.

• Advertisement

i hate to attack one player, but has riise hit the target all season?

Okay I'm listening but it sounds like Arbeloa is getting forwards alot more than Finnan has been recently.

Mike.

same old s**te

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,233 ✭✭✭darkskol

Would of liked to see Kewell play tonight instead of Riise.
    A few chances, Sami is having a good game.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,698 ✭✭✭IrishMike

55 mins gone and still scoreless.
    Its fulham for crying out loud whats going on?

Don't forget you are playing the team who'd be top if games ended at HT :p

66/34% possession Torres is coming on.

edit he's not (yet)

Mike.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 15,399 ✭✭✭✭Thanx 4 The Fish

Babel has looked good since arriving on the pitch

Crouchy should go off. Has been ineffective in the second half for me.

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 18,693 Mod ✭✭✭✭Kimbot

Voro off Torres on!! Sounds like we could get a goal any minute!!

• Advertisement

Strange, does not look like it ;)

I'm going to put Plan Mike65 into action and stop following this game, as thats when a goal will go in.

Back in about 15....

Mike.

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 18,693 Mod ✭✭✭✭Kimbot

Well Crouch scored but was offside!!

• Subscribers Posts: 16,592 ✭✭✭✭copacetic

crouch a yard off when there was no need to be..

Great finish ;)

Route one special, torres does well.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 20,346 ✭✭✭✭KdjaCL

I'm going to put Plan Mike65 into action and stop following this game, as thats when a goal will go in.

Back in about 15....

Mike.

come back mike :D

torres

Flowing move from keeper to ehh torres

kdjac

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 12,382 ✭✭✭✭AARRRGH

Go on the Torres! Just won me €150 :)

I had a feeling it was coming!! The radio never lets me down......

what a different team we are with bable and torres on the pitch.

and a pen, babel does well on that, marginal for inside or outside the box, gerrard to take and get me some FF points.

Peno!!!

• Advertisement
  • Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 6,315 ✭✭✭Jazzy

Fu(king Yes!

edit - stupid stream delay, peno to who ?
    i see now :p

Gerrard!! 2-0

• Subscribers Posts: 16,592 ✭✭✭✭copacetic

nice n easy 2-0 win now!

that was deffo outside though..

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,698 ✭✭✭IrishMike

Nice one, if crouch had put his header an inch lower in the first half id have bagged my €200
    Come on one more goal..........

aye, wasnt a peno

Never fails! :D

Maybe Torres/Babel is the winning combo?

Mike.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 29,293 ✭✭✭✭Mint Sauce

been saving my first soccer board thread...

torres - YES

gerrard - YES

com on liverpool!!

Great to see Torres playing again he really does look class.
    Again Hypia was reeling back the years tonight great performance by him.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,326 ✭✭✭Zapp Brannigan

Torres really made the difference, I'm crossing every appendage that he comes through the international break unscathed.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 907 ✭✭✭tibor

Interesting match.

Good to see 'pool get back to winning ways at home in the league - about time, some might say. The passing was very encouraging, quick and crisp, good touches all round. Stevie G kept his game simple and it paid huge dividends in terms or possession kept. Mascherano had another good day at the office. Some very smart link-up play from Voronin and Crouch.

Great goal from Torres, thought he'd spoiled the chance when he cut inside.

The only negative, and it was a big one today that almost cost us a result, was the lack of width. Yossi and Riise kept tucking in and clogging things up in the middle - Babel when he came on did more or less the same. Several times Yossi got the ball and dribbled right across the pitch instead of tacking his man on down the line. Would love to have seen a fit Kewell come on at some stage to give us that extra option.

A very positive 90 minutes of football nonetheless.

• Advertisement

Riise is certainly not doing himself any favours, if the rumour of a sale to Villa is true Pool should bite thier hand off.

Mike.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,316 ✭✭✭ButcherOfNog

I really enjoyed that match, only issue was lack of width, and Riise who played poorly. Other than that it was a great performance, plenty of good passing and movementm plenty of chances created and could have easily won by 5.

Oh and great to see Torres back fit :)

I wonder if Finnan is starting to get worried about his starting place

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,326 ✭✭✭Zapp Brannigan

darkskol wrote: »
    I wonder if Finnan is starting to get worried about his starting place

He should be. Though in saying that Arbeloa hasn't really been tested on the defensive side of things yet.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 10,259 ✭✭✭✭Melion

We were all over them but i thought the goal was never going to come, i was very worried when the clock ticked over to 80 minutes. Babel is looking so dangerous in the last few games, Riise should definitely be getting splinters in his arse after this international break providing Babel comes back from the internationals fit. The difference in our play when he came on was unbelivable, we were showing a purpose, he wasnt afraid to run at players which is something Riise didnt do the whole time he was on the pitch.

Great to see Torres getting a run aswell, ive got everything crossed that he comes back from the internationals fully fit. Of course, knowing our luck he wont. Like someone else said, i thought he had messed up the chance when he cut in but he showed his class to slot it in with his left.

Sami was excellent all night, showed he can still perform at that level. He never had the pace but could always read a game better than most defenders around, he has never lost that.

Melion wrote: »
    Sami was excellent all night, showed he can still perform at that level. He never had the pace but could always read a game better than most defenders around, he has never lost that.

He made one mistake when he let Davies get the ball on the edge of the 18 yard box a better team would have punished that and you would have lost 1-0 and been on here saying how **** he is.

Fulham are awful and he had nothing to do hes still a liability until Agger is fit.

kdjac

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 29,372 ✭✭✭✭Mr Alan

bit harsh, we still have the best defensive record in the premiership with him playin a rake of games.

but i agree he is definately past his best and it'll be good to have Agger back.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 10,259 ✭✭✭✭Melion

KdjaCL wrote: »
    He made one mistake when he let Davies get the ball on the edge of the 18 yard box a better team would have punished that and you would have lost 1-0 and been on here saying how **** he is.

Fulham are awful and he had nothing to do hes still a liability until Agger is fit.

kdjac

So if Davies did score then we wouldnt have?

we shouldnt sell riise, hes too versatile. there is a reason utd keep o shea ya know! :p

• Advertisement

Mr Alan wrote: »
    bit harsh, we still have the best defensive record in the premiership with him playin a rake of games.

but i agree he is definately past his best and it'll be good to have Agger back.

Not harsh if Rooney tevez Ronaldo Fabregas Van persie etc: had a free shot on the edge of the box you would expect them to score.

Davies muffed it up so didnt look as bad as it was but still vs a better team it would have been punished.

I like him tbh good player just time to be replaced.

kdjac

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement