Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Liverpool Rumours And General Discussion 2007/2008

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 16,396 ✭✭✭✭kaimera

The 1-1 with chelsea was a horrible ref decision, not bad defending.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 20,617 ✭✭✭✭PHB

Games where Liverpool dropped points where they really shouldn't have were (in the league):

Portsmouth 0-0
    Birmingham 0-0
    Tottenham 2-2

The problem in all of those games was going forward, not defense (:)). They either didn't create enough or didn't put away enough.
    In the Spurs game they lost out to route 1 which is terrible for a team like Liverpool, but they still should have won that game going forward. Spurs are after all, shocking at the back

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 29,372 ✭✭✭✭Mr Alan

Am i the only one who was happy enough with a point at portsmouth?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 32,037 ✭✭✭✭~Rebel~

Mr Alan wrote:

with the 11 selected i was very happy with a point. there as nobody there to make something happen. No torres or gerrard, who i think we need at least one of at All times.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,441 ✭✭✭✭jesus_thats_gre

Mr Alan wrote: »

It isn't a massive deal considering their current form and the fact that they caused us serious problems last season. Not beating Birmingham was shocking. Spurs was a given based on their recent form but we ****ed that one up ourselves.

I am still holding on to the fact that we are a few points better off than at this point last season and our away form has improved. Getting our home from back on track and hopefully having a full compliment of players to choose from, nevermind mind some good purchases in January, and things will improve sufficiently to at least keep in touch with the other 3.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,544 ✭✭✭redspider

> Am i the only one who was happy enough with a point at portsmouth?

No, you are not the only one. I am happy enough too(!) as I'm sure most Liverpool fans are. Pompey is not an easy place to go to, 'Arry has them well organised and they are doing well this season. Pompey will be in the shake-up of the 'also-ran' league, the league within the league, between Man City and Blackburnm as it looks like now.

I am not unhappy with Liverpool, I just dont think they will win the league from what I have seen and what I expect to happen from here on. But that doesnt mean that I dont think Liverpool are good - of course they are good. Its just a case of relativity when the fan base is hoping for a solid run at the title 'some year soon' and to me at least, it doesnt look as if they will win it. They may get back in the running for it but will only really challenge for it if Arsenal and Man Utd both have major blips. There is no sign of that as of yet, but football is football so anything can happen.

Next up, there is a difficult run. Our targets are:
    Newcastle - A - WIN
    (Porto) - H - WIN
    Bolton - H - WIN
    Reading -A -WIN
    (Marseille) -A -WIN
    Man Utd -H -WIN
    Chelsea -A -DRAW
    Portsmouth -H -WIN

I just cant see us doing that. Something is gonna give way ......

In terms of the debate of whether to take a CL run ir a league run, the optimsiation question, we may not have the luxury of that this year, we may not have the opportunity to choose as we may be out of the running of both. For most managers, the CL is the creme de la creme so they will opt for that. And I think Rafa does the same usually.

Redspider

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,316 ✭✭✭ButcherOfNog

PHB wrote: »
    The problem in all of those games was going forward, not attack.

Um, huh? You are making alot less sense that usual there :)

:p

• Registered Users Posts: 1,263 ✭✭✭yom 1

Very good interview with Bruce Grobbelaar on Lfc.tv

http://www.liverpoolfc.tv/news/features/this_season/FN12061071113-1527.htm

Quoted to save Mr. Alan the trouble of asking for it!
    What are you up to these days, Bruce?

I'm basically a man of leisure. I'm over here from South Africa with my partner, who works in Yorkshire. When I'm over I go to Anfield and still follow it passionately. There's only one team in the UK and that's Liverpool Football Club.

What do you make of the current team?

Rafa Benitez has got a fantastic core of players – they can knock on the door of the championship, I really believe that. If you look at the end of the season, the team that wins the league has always lost fewer than five games. We have lost none.

People talk about the 1987-88 team as perhaps the best ever – how many of the modern day lads would get in there?

Yes, I think our best team was from 1986 until 1989. If I had to pick some players to play in that period I'd have Reina as my understudy [laughs]. Gerrard would absolutely have to feature. People could shift around so he could slot in. Carragher epitomises Scousers, so again you would make sure he was in there somewhere. As for the strikers, you could see Torres in there. Torres and Rush would be awesome with Barnes feeding them – that would be beautiful.

How do the playing styles compare?

The game is a lot quicker now but we made it look quick because of the slickness of our passing, just like Arsenal do now. When you pass and move like they do, the ball moves quicker than any man ever could. When we beat Forest 5-0 we were just as good as them and could open up defences just like Arsenal do today.

Is Reina the best Liverpool goalkeeper since Bruce Grobbelaar?

It's hard to say who is the best. Sander Westerveld was a great keeper and I honestly think he was pushed out too soon. David James might still be here if the original plan Graeme Souness came up with had been implemented. Souness asked me to be the number one and bring on James. It didn't happen because Souness didn't like me going back and forth to play for my country, Zimbabwe. He put James in too early and destroyed his confidence. I am pleased with the way it has gone for him now, though; he is doing really well. Liverpool still need a goalkeeper who can come and sweep up at the back. That's the one thing Reina maybe needs to add to his game, anticipating when to come out and smother. Having said that, I do think he has the attributes to become one of the very best in the world. He is dealing with crosses better than he ever has – I think he's catching more often now, rather than punching.

Looking back at your career. You were in the Rhodesian National Guard before you came to England, weren't you? Tell us about that?

I signed up for a year but when I had 22 days to go they put it up to 18 months, then with 11 more days to go they put it up to two years. It was two years of just trying to survive. We thought we were doing a job that was good for our country (during the Rhodesian Bush War) but in the last six months we realised we were fighting a lost cause. I was a tracker in the fire force. There were four of us who would get picked up in a helicopter and shifted around the country. If there was a dispersal of terrorists we would follow them.

Did that give you a different outlook when you took up football? Is that what made you more laid back about things?

When I came over to sign in England people said football was more important than life or death. It's not. When you're living you have to be happy, you can't just sit there in the doldrums. Professional football is a stressful place, but you are still alive and you are still doing something you love. And being paid for it.

You came from the Vancouver Whitecaps for a loan spell at Crewe, that's how Liverpool spotted you wasn't it?

Tom Saunders (from the boot room) came to watch Portsmouth v Crewe at Fratton Park. He went to watch a midfielder but went back to Bob Paisley and said to forget about the midfielder, check out the goalkeeper. The next weekend, on May 3, 1980, they came to watch us at York but left after the warm up. They'd seen enough in the warm up to make up their minds!

Were you walking on your hands or something?

No, but I did walk out with an umbrella because it was raining!

You were brought in as an understudy to Ray Clemence, weren't you?

I signed in March and played three games for the reserves, and I knew I'd be in the reserves for a long time. Anyway, just before the end of the season Ray did an interview with The Star saying he was happy to be teaching Bruce for the next two years, which is what we thought was going to happen. Anyway, they then came to me and asked how I felt about this. I said that I'd like to stay behind him for that long but that I didn't think it would happen because I thought I would take his place before that! I don't know if I shouldn't have said that, but in the summer he went to Tottenham saying he needed a new challenge.

You had an uncomfortable start to life in the first team though...

I was thrown in at the deep end and, yes, for the first six months it was hair-raising. It was a combination of things: a new goalkeeper playing with an old back four; doing things that they'd never seen before like sitting on the crossbar and walking around on my hands. Anyway, 1981 came round and we lost 2-1 to Man City and Bob came in and said to me straight that if I didn't cut out the antics I'd find myself playing for Crewe. At that stage we were 13 points off the top, and we ended up winning the league by three points. I turned my game around and calmed it down. The great centre-halves I was learning from helped: Phil Thompson and Alan Hansen. Jockey wouldn't talk to you if you made a mistake!

Who were you pally with in the squad at this stage?

I roomed with a guy who was born in South Africa, Craig Johnston, though he always said he was an Australian – I could never see that. Me and him lived over in the Wirral, whereas everyone else was in Southport.

Looking at a few flashpoints of your career, tell me about the bust up with Steve McManaman when you were playing Everton in 1993?

It was handbags from 50 paces. I shouted to him on the front post to get it away but instead of putting it into the stands he swung a left foot at it and it came back into the playing area – then Mark Ward scored on a half-volley. What I was even more annoyed about was Mark Walters turning his back on the shot instead of blocking it. I wanted to go after him but I thought the papers might say I was racist, so I had a word with McManaman instead. We'd both be sent off for that these days! There was no problem after that, we are okay.

Is it right you used to have a superstition where you had to kick the ball at a light switch before you left the dressing room?

That's right. Before one game I decided to see if I could knock the lights out with the ball, and because I did it and we won, I carried on. This lasted about four years and the only time we lost was the time it was too late and I had to put the lights out with my hands. Bob used to say to me [adopts Paisley impression]: "What are you doing man, you are going to blow the fuse!"

Did it usually take you long?

Geepers creepers, one time all the lads were out on the pitch waiting for me to get it. I'm a goalkeeper, I couldn't do it. If you asked me to throw it at the lights I'd get it every time, but not with my foot.

Who was your most annoying teammate ever?

Steve McMahon was a bit annoying – not during a game, but afterwards when we were out having a few drinks. I'm not giving you examples, but he was still a lovely bloke.

Who's the best player you ever played with?

Graeme Souness. He had everything you'd ever want in a footballer: he was passionate, he could lead from the front, he could pass and head the ball and he marshalled his troops very well. You'd always want him in your side. If I think about him I think of him as a player.

What's the biggest disappointment of your Liverpool career?

Not being allowed to play in Europe for those six years. I think we could have won the European Cup at least once during that time. Maybe twice. We never foresaw that happening, the ban.

How do you think you'd have got on against the great AC Milan team of the late 1980s?

I think we would have had the upper hand on them, I really do. After all, they're Italians and we beat Italians!

Looking over your career I suppose the major dark time was the court case over match fixing allegations, during which you were acquitted. How difficult a period was that?

Seven years is a long time and it wasn't something anyone would wish to go through. If you look at the outcome, I was awarded £1. I came to England with £10 in my pocket, so I've had a hell of a ride on £11 all these years, haven't I? But no, it was very difficult. The children had to grow up and go through school through that period. They had to be strong characters but they lived with it and adapted to it. They know I've done nothing wrong and justice has been done, albeit in a small way.

You left quite a legacy on the pitch, you only have to look at the 2005 Champions League final to see that. Which is better, Grobbelaar’s spaghetti legs or the Dudek dance?

If you take the laws of the game from my era, I wasn't allowed to move my feet. So that's what I decided to do to put them off. Dudek was allowed to move across his line – though he also came out about three yards! We both used the law to our advantage, though I don't know which is better.

How did you feel watching him, knowing it was influenced by you?
    I don't know if it was inspired by me because I don't think he knew what I did. It was Carragher shouting at him to do something and it worked – and again it was against Italians.

Finally, I have to ask you this, when was the last time you did a handstand?

Last week. I got a birdie! You thought I couldn't do a handstand anymore, didn't you? You cheeky little sod!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,692 ✭✭✭✭machiavellianme

According to the BBC rumours page:
    Liverpool boss Rafael Benitez is weighing up a £10m move for Racing Santander central defender Ezequiel Garay. (The Guardian)

So who is this guy, cant recall having heard of him. Any use?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 46,347 ✭✭✭✭Mitch Connor

According to the BBC rumours page:

So who is this guy, cant recall having heard of him. Any use?

apparently United are after him too.

In football manager he becomes possibly the best defender in the game, so obviously he is aces.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 383 ✭✭lpool2k05

Games where Liverpool dropped points where they really shouldn't have were (in the league):

Portsmouth 0-0
    Birmingham 0-0
    Tottenham 2-2

The problem in all of those games was going forward, not defense (:)). They either didn't create enough or didn't put away enough.
    In the Spurs game they lost out to route 1 which is terrible for a team like Liverpool, but they still should have won that game going forward. Spurs are after all, shocking at the back

didnt Man Utd draw 1-1 at pompey and 0-0 with reading!!every team has bad results!!cant win every game!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,835 ✭✭✭StickyMcGinty

lol, grobbelaar, what a legend! great interview

lpool2k05 wrote: »
    didnt Man Utd draw 1-1 at pompey and 0-0 with reading!!every team has bad results!!cant win every game!

Indeed, of course they do. But that was at the start of the season and United are clearly a different team now. Can you say the same about Liverpool?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 88,972 ✭✭✭✭mike65

Liverpool are a different team now - worse ;):p

All sides see-saw thier way through the season, right now I think the rot has been stopped and with everyone back after the international break except Pennant (who tbh won't be missed greatly with Yossi or Babel or even Arbeloa pushing up like against Fulham) I see more wins a fewer draws.

Mike.

• Moderators, Education Moderators Posts: 5,495 Mod ✭✭✭✭spockety

Indeed, of course they do. But that was at the start of the season and United are clearly a different team now. Can you say the same about Liverpool?

You and others constantly trot out this line. Have I missed something? Have all the teams form now been set in stone for the rest of the season? When did this happen? Was it game week 6, or 8? I didn't see the press release.

mike65 wrote: »
    Liverpool are a different team now - worse ;):p

All sides see-saw thier way through the season, right now I think the rot has been stopped and with everyone back after the international break except Pennant (who tbh won't be missed greatly with Yossi or Babel or even Arbeloa pushing up like against Fulham) I see more wins a fewer draws.

Mike.

:) Yeh you might be right.
    I do think redspider had it close to right when he said these should be your targets:

Newcastle - A - WIN
    (Porto) - H - WIN
    Bolton - H - WIN
    Reading -A -WIN
    (Marseille) -A -WIN
    Man Utd -H - DRAW
    Chelsea -A -DRAW
    Portsmouth -H -WIN

I think just not dropping points should be what Liverpool are aiming to do against United and Chelsea, just like the latter two should be trying to do against Liverpool.
    I think out of those other 4 league games, the real minimum Liverpool can afford to get is 10. If they end up with 8 they will continue to slip further behind.
    You and others constantly trot out this line. Have I missed something? Have all the teams form now been set in stone for the rest of the season? When did this happen? Was it game week 6, or 8? I didn't see the press release.

Nope, that's just stupid. Form is an indicator of future success. Not a dead cert. That said, ask yourself if you saw United play Pompey and Reading next week, do you think the result would be different from the start of the season? United have gotten much better in the last month. Chelsea have improved significantly, although not as much. Arsenal have remained at a steady very very high level. Liverpool have gone from their initial good form to a steady average. They are beginning to show signs that they are getting back to some sort of form, as mike says, but time will tell.

• Moderators, Education Moderators Posts: 5,495 Mod ✭✭✭✭spockety

Form is hardly an indicator of future success if the start to Liverpool's last few seasons is anything to go by, where success is measured by the number of matches won, clean sheets met, or trophies won, over a specified period in the future.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 888 ✭✭✭Kanney

Against Newcastle, Yossi is out, will Babel switch straight onto the right? Or will Gerrard play on the right?
    Its good Torres is off the international break, great for us. I think him and Crouch (pending no injury worries) should start, altho I can see him playing Kuyt, or perhaps wait for Bolton to play Kuyt, also Voronin is playing well, creating chances, may be perfect for an in form Torres.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,095 ✭✭✭zing

Kanney wrote: »
    Against Newcastle, Yossi is out, will Babel switch straight onto the right? Or will Gerrard play on the right?

Don't forget Kewell should be due a start soon - himself & the likes of Babel (or Yossi when fit again) swapping wings throughout the game would be good. Assuming he doesn't injure himself while opening his front door or whatever..

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,910 ✭✭✭✭whatawaster

that chelsea away match is in the Carling Cup though, which makes things look a bit friendlier in the league. I would be annoyed if we don't get to Christmas and beyond unbeaten, but we need to win nearly all of our games to keep in touch with the top two.

Something like:

Newcastle (a) WIN
    Bolton (h) WIN
    Reading (a) WIN
    United (h) WIN (we're definitely due a home win after the last two years!)
    Portsmouth (h) WIN
    Derby (a) WIN
    City (a) WIN
    Wigan (h) WIN
    Middlesbrough (a) WIN
    Villa (h) WIN
    West Ham (a) WIN
    Sunderland (h) WIN

36 points out of 36. Dreaming I know, but seriously i'd be dissapointed if we didn't get 30 points from those 12. Tricky games are United at home, city away and possibly newcastle away. We seem to have put our shocking form behind us and are starting to play a lot better, though still not as well as we can.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,238 ✭✭✭looder

that chelsea away match is in the Carling Cup though, which makes things look a bit friendlier in the league. I would be annoyed if we don't get to Christmas and beyond unbeaten, but we need to win nearly all of our games to keep in touch with the top two.

Something like:

Newcastle (a) WIN
    Bolton (h) WIN
    Reading (a) WIN
    United (h) WIN (we're definitely due a home win after the last two years!)
    Portsmouth (h) WIN
    Derby (a) WIN
    City (a) WIN
    Wigan (h) WIN
    Middlesbrough (a) WIN
    Villa (h) WIN
    West Ham (a) WIN
    Sunderland (h) WIN

36 points out of 36. Dreaming I know, but seriously i'd be dissapointed if we didn't get 30 points from those 12. Tricky games are United at home, city away and possibly newcastle away. We seem to have put our shocking form behind us and are starting to play a lot better, though still not as well as we can.
    Newcastle (a) DRAW
    Bolton (h) WIN
    Reading (a) WIN
    United (h) WIN
    Portsmouth (h) DRAW
    Derby (a) WIN
    City (a) LOSS
    Wigan (h) WIN
    Middlesbrough (a) WIN
    Villa (h) WIN
    West Ham (a) DRAW
    Sunderland (h) WIN

yom 1 wrote: »
    Quoted to save Mr. Alan the trouble of asking for it!

Thank you :)

I love Carragher.

CARRA HAS NO REGRETS
    Jimmy Rice 14 November 2007

Jamie Carragher insists he has no regrets about retiring from international football.

The 29-year-old quit the national side in the summer, citing a lack of opportunities as the primary reason.

While most of his teammates set off for international duty earlier this week, the defender has been enjoying the more relaxed atmosphere at Melwood.

Injuries and suspensions to Steve McClaren's first-choice centre-backs mean he may well have featured this week, but Carra is not looking back.

"No, I've got no regrets," he told Liverpoolfc.tv. "I'm enjoying it very much. Obviously there's just four or five of us training and that's pretty enjoyable.

"I also get a lot more time at home with the kids and Nicola, so that's great.

"Hopefully I'll be fresher than most of the lads by the time Newcastle comes around. The whole idea was to help my Liverpool form. Hopefully it's doing that."

Carra amassed 34 England caps after making his debut under Kevin Keegan in April 1999.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,386 ✭✭✭d22ontour

Why should he have regrets ? He was never good enough to make the English 1st choice and rightly so.He retired because he wasn't getting picked , how professional of him.

:rolleyes:

• Registered Users Posts: 2,731 ✭✭✭el rabitos

d22ontour wrote: »
    Why should he have regrets ? He was never good enough to make the English 1st choice and rightly so.He retired because he wasn't getting picked , how professional of him.

shields up...

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 15,399 ✭✭✭✭Thanx 4 The Fish

What an assinine comment.

[sign]
    Please don't feed the trolls.
    [/sign]

tut tut tut :cool:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,105 ✭✭✭mada999

i reckon if we beat utd we'll be back in it properly...i have a feeling Arsenal will slip up soon....

mada999 wrote: »
    i reckon if we beat utd we'll be back in it properly...i have a feeling Arsenal will slip up soon....

I had that feeling two months ago. In fairness, they haven't looked like dropping points all season.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,321 ✭✭✭prendy

Newcastle (a) WIN
    Bolton (h) WIN
    Reading (a) WIN
    United (h) WIN
    Portsmouth (h) DRAW
    Derby (a) WIN
    City (a) DRAW
    Wigan (h) WIN
    Middlesbrough (a) WIN
    Villa (h) WIN
    West Ham (a) DRAW
    Sunderland (h) WIN

well said...30 points wud be a good return. beating utd means we stay in the chase anyways.
    as for the carra remark...the centre backs left in there havnt been spectacular!

• Advertisement

I think we will beat portsmouth at home. All the home games should be bankers except obviously the united game which will be close as usual. We just need to keep up our away form, average no less than 2 points a game away from home and we'll still be very much in touch.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 383 ✭✭lpool2k05

mada999 wrote: »

Arsenals December Fixtures

Aston Villa (A)
    Newcastle (A)
    Middlesbrough(A)
    Chelsea(H)
    Tottenham(H)
    Portsmouth(A)
    Everton(A)

5 really tough away fixtures and 2 home!!If arsenal dont drop a few points here we may as well forget it!If they do we just have to worry bot UTD ;)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,386 ✭✭✭d22ontour

What an assinine comment.

[sign]
    Please don't feed the trolls.
    [/sign]

/Yawn

In Mr Alans post about Carragher he admits to quitting because he wasn't getting picked.International debut in 1999 back when he was no more than a utility player for Liverpool ,a Phil Neville type.I would say his performances and ability only sharply rose post 2003 which is strange in itself seeing as he was quite a poor player but i guess Liverpool fans don't remember cringing when they seen his name on the teamsheet before then, eh ? I will admit he has developed into a half decent defender but seriously since his English debut i would doubt many even the fickle would pick him ahead of most of the other centre-halfs that played for England in that timeframe.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,731 ✭✭✭el rabitos

/Yawn

In Mr Alans post about Carragher he admits to quitting because he wasn't getting picked.International debut in 1999 back when he was no more than a utility player for Liverpool ,a Phil Neville type.I would say his performances and ability only sharply rose post 2003 which is strange in itself seeing as he was quite a poor player but i guess Liverpool fans don't remember cringing when they seen his name on the teamsheet before then, eh ? I will admit he has developed into a half decent defender but seriously since his English debut i would doubt many even the fickle would pick him ahead of most of the other centre-halfs that played for England in that timeframe.

/ok

go away now. the carragher debate has been done.

ANYWAY

in more interesting news. looks like scotty carson is heading to villa permanently.

bought him for around 1 mill, how much we gonna get out of villa i wonder?

anything above 5 mill would be good business, but for a probable future england no.1 we should be able to get a bit more for him, no?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 16,658 ✭✭✭✭Peyton Manning

Wouldnt call him a future England #1 but stranger things have happened. Id be hesitant to let him go tbh, excellent backup for Reina, probably even a better all round keeper and would do well with the defence you lot have.

Sell Sell Sell, Villa have loads of cash, the talk is 10 million. Masch buy out is something like 17 million.

Mike.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,070 ✭✭✭✭event

tbh, not just saying it as a leeds fan, i reckon he will be better than reina

they are crazy to let him go, he is top quality

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,894 ✭✭✭Nunu

Sell Sell Sell, Villa have loads of cash, the talk is 10 million. Masch buy out is something like 17 million.

Mike.

Wow, I can't believe Villa would pay €10M! Unbelievable piece of business for Liverpool if the deal comes off at that price.

Undoubtedly a solid keeper but Liverpool got him for £1M and he's only played a handful of games for them. Also, Benitez is willing to sell, so you'd think this would reduce the asking price? Surely Liverpool would accept ~£5M?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,326 ✭✭✭Zapp Brannigan

In other news Alonso won't be fit for the Newcastle game. Agger is a maybe though. Hope Agger is back, Newcastle have serious pace up front and Hyppia won't be able to cope with that.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,894 ✭✭✭Nunu

In other news Alonso won't be fit for the Newcastle game. Agger is a maybe though. Hope Agger is back, Newcastle have serious pace up front and Hyppia won't be able to cope with that.

Ye, I remember being confused when I heard Benitez saying Alonso would be back in 2 weeks - It seemed way too optomistic for a recovery from a broken bone!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 32,037 ✭✭✭✭~Rebel~

thats true, id worry for us if big Sam played Owen and Martins up front. coupled with the pace of N'Zogbia and Milner if they come in side it could spell trouble.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 6,315 ✭✭✭Jazzy

this smiley looks like its looking up at its tonsils. deffo the smuggest smiley on the list, can always be found in CS 1.6 vs. Source debates :p

i say sell Carson if we are getting 10m. means masch will only cost 7 and we need him more.

Reina is quite young for a keeper and mnost keepers peak at about 29/30 and play their best untill they are about 34 or so. Van De Sar being a good example.
    Cech and Casillas are the exceptions i think

I see Masch and Sissoko ahead of the back 4 for that one if Agger is not fit and if the Newcastle fowards are fit.

Mike.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 6,315 ✭✭✭Jazzy

I see Masch and Sissoko ahead of the back 4 for that one if Agger is not fit and if the Newcastle fowards are fit.

lets hope mickey sleeps awkwardly one night and is out for 5-6 months as a result :p

i still love him, but he has become the subject of ridicule since he went to the toon

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 888 ✭✭✭Kanney

Agger back would be great. I love seeing him play, I feel more confident, more than with my dear Sami (as of late)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,316 ✭✭✭ButcherOfNog

I think Newcastle will be more worried about their defense and Torres

While Rafa will be worried about his defense. If Aggers back it could be ok, but they'll still be under pressure for pace.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 10,259 ✭✭✭✭Melion

If we can get 10m off Villa for Carson we should take it, hand and all. He has the ability to be the best english keeper in years but he wont make it to the top if he stays at Anfield, Pepe is too good and too consistent to drop. I remember him being absolutely amazing against Juve in 2005 but i think Rafa has too much of a liking for Pepe to ever give Carson a chance.

€17m for Masch, we could finance that with the sales of Mo and Carson, that wouldnt affect any other players we go for next year/january.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,904 ✭✭✭DeadSkin

If that 10m figure is true about Carson, it is worth thinking about.
    What I'd be concerned about, is if Pepe gets injured. We have being finding it tough enough with Agger out, if Pepe was out for the same period with the likes of Agger/Carra, our defense would be a right mess.

Is Carson on loan til the end of the season, if so, if Pepe did get injured can we recall Carson?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,095 ✭✭✭zing

DeadSkin wrote: »
    Is Carson on loan til the end of the season, if so, if Pepe did get injured can we recall Carson?

That depends on the terms of the loan. iirc it's not that unusual for loan deals involving keepers to have an option to recall at short notice.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement