Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Liverpool Rumours And General Discussion 2007/2008

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,910 ✭✭✭✭whatawaster

yeah but lucas touched the ball to Gerrard?

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 6,315 ✭✭✭Jazzy

Mohammed "weak link" Sissoko

hes been awful and wasted alot of good play. he should be sold in january. lucas is more then up to replace him. that gives us alonso, mascherano, gerrard and lucas for the CM position.

good stuff by pool so far. they have closed the toon down whenever they have gone forward and kept the ball for long spells... until sissoko wastes it of course.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,048 ✭✭✭Unearthly

Newcastle are pathetic, Liverpool should win this comfortably now if they have aspirations of being near the top

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,910 ✭✭✭✭whatawaster

told you kuyt was a genius

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,411 ✭✭✭shotamoose

0-2, comical Newcastle defending from a corner, bounces in off Kuyt's knobbly knee.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,315 ✭✭✭quazzy

More comical defending and Torres nearly made it 3....

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,987 ✭✭✭✭zAbbo

How bad are the barcodes?

What a goal!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 88,972 ✭✭✭✭mike65

To think I refused to bet on Pool today as I thought they could struggle! :o

Mike.

• Advertisement

Torres having a nightmare infront of goal

• Subscribers Posts: 16,592 ✭✭✭✭copacetic

Unearthly wrote: »
    Torres having a nightmare infront of goal

meh, he is terrorising their defence, just doesn't look like his day..

(that one was poor though!)

• Registered Users Posts: 2,731 ✭✭✭el rabitos

man, i guess rafa really was focused on training and coaching his team this week

pity big sam wasnt

copacetic wrote: »
    meh, he is terrorising their defence, just doesn't look like his day..

(that one was poor though!)

Oh no doubt about that, he'll score before the end of the game though, he surely can't miss the next 30 chances ;)

I'm only listening but I suspect his mere presence is giving others oppotunities.

Mike.

mike65 wrote: »
    I'm only listening but I suspect his mere presence is giving others oppotunities.

Mike.

Yep. "Always he gives us possibilities".

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 425 ✭✭Brando_ie

shotamoose wrote: »
    Yep. "Always he gives us possibilities".

that made me laugh..... :)

happy with that display, rafa had a masterstroke overloading them up front from early on, it was slightly risky but forced them to change their shape straight away and they never looked comfortable after that. Totally outthought Sam today, he will probably keep his mouth shut in the interviews. Or more likely he won't! Once we got the earlyish goal it was an easy win, only issue may have been that it should have been 6 or 7 again.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,067 ✭✭✭✭Tusky

copacetic wrote: »
    happy with that display, rafa had a masterstroke overloading them up front from early on, it was slightly risky but forced them to change their shape straight away and they never looked comfortable after that. Totally outthought Sam today, he will probably keep his mouth shut in the interviews. Or more likely he won't! Once we got the earlyish goal it was an easy win, only issue may have been that it should have been 6 or 7 again.

Yep, who would have thought Liverpool would start with a 4-3-3 ? Worked a treat. Only negative point was Torres not scoring. He really was excellent, apart from his finishing. Id like to see 4-3-3 again but with these players...

Reina

Finnan--Carragher--Agger--Arbeloa

--Gerrard---Mascherano---Alonso

Babel----Torres---Kewell

Thought Gerrard, Kewell, Hyypia, Babel, Torres & Kuyt all had good games. Good to see Lucas finishing 90 minutes.

Also, shame on all the 'doom & gloom' Liverpool fans a few weeks ago.

1 Arsenal 12 9 3 0 27 10 17 30
    2 Man. Utd. 13 9 3 1 23 6 17 30
    3 Liverpool 13 7 6 0 22 6 16 27

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,587 ✭✭✭✭Dont be at yourself

I'd like to see the formation again too. Lucas and Sissoko (after a poor start) played well, as did Torres - despite not getting a goal.

Professional performance by Liverpool, but Newcastle really were poor. We must nearly have more away wins this season than the whole of last season.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,225 ✭✭✭Chardee MacDennis

good explaination of the problem from rafa there

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Education Moderators Posts: 5,495 Mod ✭✭✭✭spockety

Tusky wrote: »
    Also, shame on all the 'doom & gloom' Liverpool fans a few weeks ago.

1 Arsenal 12 9 3 0 27 10 17 30
    2 Man. Utd. 13 9 3 1 23 6 17 30

Thankfully this forum provides us with a written record that can be pulled out
    at any time to beat them over the head with if appropriate.

It's not that time just yet though.

• Moderators, Education Moderators Posts: 5,495 Mod ✭✭✭✭spockety

For those that didn't see it, Rafa just got asked on Sky Sports about the problems during the week with the owners. In a frank answer, he said that he feels perhaps they don't fully understand or grasp the "transfer window" concept in European football, and that that issue is they are not letting him move on free players who we might miss out on should we drag our heels. Thankfully he looked in a good mood and was smiling throughout the interview, he said he didn't think it was a serious problem, and they just need to make sure the owners understand the situation.
    Shreeves : It's been a good game today, but the build up to the game was all about you and the owners of the club. What is the problem?

Rafa: [smiles] I think that they don't understand what means the transfer window in Europe, it's another..., when you sign a player he needs to settle down so I think it is the same situation. They need to understand how difficult it is to sign players, so when you have possibilities now players that are free, you must do it or you lose the player so I was trying to explain it, and they say ok keep calm, and I will try to keep focus winning games for my supporters.

Shreeves: how serious is the problem and are you geniune canditate for the England job?

Rafa: [more smiles] No I think it is not serious. I am sure that if they understand the market and what it means here in europe they will understand that we are trying to do what is best for the team.

Hey! Stop 'aving a go!

Like I said about about the spat, not a crisis after all.

Mike.

spockety wrote: »
    Thankfully this forum provides us with a written record that can be pulled out
    at any time to beat them over the head with if appropriate.

It's not that time just yet though.

Wouldn't want to tempt fate! It was never going to be easy, the vast majority of level headed 'sane' Liverpool fans merely wanted to see a good challenge and it looks like thats what we are getting. If you remember last season we were out of the running in the first couple of months.
    I'd like to see the formation again too. Lucas and Sissoko (after a poor start) played well, as did Torres - despite not getting a goal.

Professional performance by Liverpool, but Newcastle really were poor. We must nearly have more away wins this season than the whole of last season.

I think we had 6 away wins in total last season. 5 this season from 7 games...

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,538 ✭✭✭PiE

Call_me_al wrote: »
    good explaination of the problem from rafa there

More unnecessary sniping if you ask me.

Excellent performance though. Gutted that Torres didn't bag one, hope it doesn't affect his confidence - wouldn't want him to stop trying to beat players.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,929 ✭✭✭raven136

level on games played with united and only 3 points behind.Dont like to see our problems being aired like that but rafa is right,we cant afford to lose Masch.The americans are all talk,in particular cowboy hicks yet they fail to understand the game.
    A quick straw poll would surely indicate to them that we dont like to see chairmen attack a manager,in particular one as loved(despite rotation)as Rafa.

PiE wrote: »

Excellent performance though. Gutted that Torres didn't bag one, hope it doesn't affect his confidence - wouldn't want him to stop trying to beat players.

Aye - he really was excellent. Got in so many scoring positions, beat players, made good runs...its not as if his finishing was miles off either. Hit the inside of the post and missed by tiny margins a few times.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 20,617 ✭✭✭✭PHB

Indeed, I think it's pretty ludicrous to suggest that the owners can't understand the concept of a transfer window. Seems like theres a battle going on their, about trying to win over the fans I think.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 20,277 ✭✭✭✭Cyrus

PHB wrote: »
    Indeed, I think it's pretty ludicrous to suggest that the owners can't understand the concept of a transfer window. Seems like theres a battle going on their, about trying to win over the fans I think.

why is it ludicrous, transfers in football are completely different than any american game and there is a very short window of opportunity, the work has to start now, they might not know that

PiE wrote: »

eh? what sniping? i was being serious....

• Advertisement

hope the owners dont think that,it will be a short fight.Rafa is loved and the americans have already lied about the club in debt etc.

Also hicks has no problem paying big money for his baseball team,paying arod over 20mill a season and then paying part of his yankee contract as well.Frustrating to think a player as good as masch could slip the net.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 38,247 ✭✭✭✭Guy:Incognito

Call_me_al wrote: »
    eh? what sniping? i was being serious....

He meant Rafa I think.

I dunno, I think you may be reading too much into that. Rafa seemed pretty genuine. Although the comment 'I want to keep winning for our supporters' might be a wee dig at the owners.

People on other forums are even suggesting that Rafa wearing a tracksuit ties in with the 'concentrating on coaching my team...' spiel.

[edit] Bolton 1 - 0 Man Utd wooo!

his best line was i want to keep winning for my supporters.He might look like a laid back guy but he is fairly resolute and stubborn as the past few days have shown.Be nice if the owners came to watch the odd game though:rolleyes:

Also worth noting that we now have the best defensive record in the premiership with the least goals conceded.

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 21,254 Mod ✭✭✭✭Dub13

Also worth noting that we now have the best defensive record in the premiership with the least goals conceded.

Thats right,we still have not conceded a goal from open play away this season.That is great.

Dub13 wrote: »
    Thats right,we still have not conceded a goal from open play away this season.That is great.

Yup. 13 goals scored in the last three games & three clean sheets aint bad either.

Half time scores
    Arsenal 0 - 0 Wigan
    Utd 0 - 1 Bolton
    City 1 - 1 Reading

Would be over the moon if these results stood to full time...

as it stands -

1 Arsenal 13 9 4 0 27 10 17 31
    2 Man. Utd. 14 9 3 2 23 7 16 30
    4 Man. City 14 8 3 3 17 14 3 27

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,698 ✭✭✭IrishMike

Great result and performance today but i think it was as much down to newcastle being crap as liverpool being brilliant.
    In saying that torres should have had 2 or 3 so it should have been a hammering.
    Thought Gerrard was different class today as was Babbel when he came on.
    Lucas had a great game and Hyppia looked so comfortable even with Martins pace.
    The thing i would like to know is how Sissoko is viewed as an 8-10million player?
    The guy is absolutly awful.
    He slows the game down constantly with his slow passing and awful awful technical ability.
    He should only play away games against the likes of Derby and FA cup games in Dagenham and Redbridge!

they do seem to think the middle of next month is plenty of time to start thinking about what we want to do, when it is clearly too late, so I'd say it is spot on that they don't understand that you have to plan for it well in advance. If they think all the actual discussions start and end during the window clearly they don't understand football at all.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 2,698 ✭✭✭IrishMike

Half time scores
    Arsenal 0 - 0 Wigan
    Utd 0 - 1 Bolton
    City 1 - 1 Reading

Would be over the moon if these results stood to full time...

70 mins gone and its still the same!
    Fingers crossed

IrishMike wrote: »
    70 mins gone and its still the same!
    Fingers crossed

I know! Watching Soccer Saturday and it just seems too good to be true...10 minutes to go.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 25,243 ✭✭✭✭Jesus Wept

gahhh arsenal score.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,604 ✭✭✭herbieflowers

tehehehe, Arsenal score again...

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 25,243 ✭✭✭✭Jesus Wept

Man City win also.

United lose.

Man City 2- 1 Reading :(
    Arsenal 2 - 0 Wigan :(
    Man Utd 0 - 1 Bolton :D

1 Arsenal 13 10 3 0 29 10 19 33
    2 Man. Utd. 14 9 3 2 23 7 16 30
    3 Man. City 14 9 2 3 18 14 4 29
    4 Liverpool 13 7 6 0 22 6 16 27

• Advertisement

so with the united result can the naysayers please shut up,we are title contenders,we are playing well and have a game in hand on them.roll on the 16th of december

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 21,254 Mod ✭✭✭✭Dub13

raven136 wrote: »
    so with the united result can the naysayers please shut up,we are title contenders,we are playing well and have a game in hand on them.roll on the 16th of december

I agree,I am looking forward to the 16th more now...I am going to that game.:)

Stekelly wrote: »
    He meant Rafa I think.

ah well apologies then....

christmas league fixtures

Bolton(h)
    Reading(a)
    United(H)
    Pompey(h)
    derby(a)
    Man City(a)
    wigan(h)
    boro(a)
    Villa(h)

this is the make or break period for us.Certain games should be gimme's....bolton,reading,derby,wigan,boro,villa.
    If we take 6/7 points from the united,city and pompey games i would be happy.

Anyone crazy enough to think we could be unbeaten in january?

raven136 wrote: »
    christmas league fixtures

Bolton(h)
    Reading(a)
    United(H)
    Pompey(h)
    derby(a)
    Man City(a)
    wigan(h)
    boro(a)
    Villa(h)

this is the make or break period for us.Certain games should be gimme's....bolton,reading,derby,wigan,boro,villa.
    If we take 6/7 points from the united,city and pompey games i would be happy.

Anyone crazy enough to think we could be unbeaten in january?

Lots of points for the taking there and as you said, its a make or break run of games. I see all of them as winnable.

• Advertisement
This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement