Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Liverpool Rumours And General Discussion 2007/2008

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,067 ✭✭✭✭Tusky

Kanney wrote: »
    Babel turning into quite the super sub. Great performance today, unhappy Torres didn't score. Hopefully he will start on Wednesday.

Yeah but the more I think about it the more unlikely it is. Crouch is favored in europe and only played a small part today. Voronin wasnt even in the squad so I'd say he will start alongside Crouch unfortunately.

This is my guess at what he will go for.

Reina

Arbeloa---Carragher--Agger--Aurelio

Babel---Gerrard---Mascherano---Riise

Crouch--Voronin

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,488 ✭✭✭AdrianII

babel was great when he came on, but hats off to harry kewell he looked good today also

Captain Fantastic really lived up to his name today, he totally bossed the game,

i also really liked the way we played today 4-3-3 with stevie roaming, only downfall was momo sissoko, he lets himself down every game i see him play

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,654 ✭✭✭✭Mental Mickey

AdrianII wrote: »
    babel was great when he came on, but hats off to harry kewell he looked good today also

Captain Fantastic really lived up to his name today, he totally bossed the game,

i also really liked the way we played today 4-3-3 with stevie roaming, only downfall was momo sissoko, he lets himself down every game i see him play

Wasn't Sissoko being called the new Vieira in some quarters????

LOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOL:D

Tusky wrote: »
    Yeah but the more I think about it the more unlikely it is. Crouch is favored in europe and only played a small part today. Voronin wasnt even in the squad so I'd say he will start alongside Crouch unfortunately.

This is my guess at what he will go for.

Reina

Arbeloa---Carragher--Agger--Aurelio

Babel---Gerrard---Mascherano---Riise

Crouch--Voronin

I hope he plays Finnan instead of Arbeloa. There's something I just don't like about dear old Alvaro.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,488 ✭✭✭AdrianII

he was but since he hurt his eye, he has never been the same

time to get rid of him and finalise the mascher deal

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,910 ✭✭✭✭whatawaster

I hope he plays Finnan instead of Arbeloa. There's something I just don't like about dear old Alvaro.

then he must play every game.

then he must play every game.

Not necessarily(sp?)? Although I'd like to see him in the team more than Arbeloa.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 6,315 ✭✭✭Jazzy

um, why havent ppl ignored mental mickey yet ?
    hes just a bit silly by the looks of it.

what do ya reckon the starting XI on wednesday will be?

Ill go with

Reina
    Finna
    Carragher
    Agger
    Arbeloa
    Babel
    benni (is he injured?) if not him then Kewell
    G-Unit
    Masch
    Torres
    Crouch

would like to see torres and crouch combine even if i do think kuyt is the better footballer

am i missing out on injuries btw? that squad doesnt feel right to me and im not bothered checking :p

Jazzy wrote: »

Ill go with

Reina
    Finna
    Carragher
    Agger
    Arbeloa
    Babel
    G-Unit
    Masch
    Torres
    Crouch

would like to see torres and crouch combine even if i do think kuyt is the better footballer

am i missing out on injuries btw? that squad doesnt feel right to me and im not bothered checking :p

Snap.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 88,972 ✭✭✭✭mike65

That looks good on paper, I think Kewell will start again though as CL tempo and reffing will suit him perfectly.

Mike.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,910 ✭✭✭✭whatawaster

Not necessarily(sp?)? Although I'd like to see him in the team more than Arbeloa.

er, I was talking about Arbeloa playing every game. If you don't like him, given your eye for a player, i'd start him regularly.

Ill go with

Reina
    Finna
    Carragher
    Agger
    Arbeloa
    Babel
    G-Unit
    Masch
    Torres
    Crouch

I'd agree with that, except I'd change Crouch for Kuyt. And Alonso(if fit) for G-Unit(LOL), or Masch. And maybe Riise for me old mate Alvaro too.........?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,413 ✭✭✭HashSlinging

Think Andriy Veronin will start and will partner crouch, the two of them are on fire at the moment.

Reina
    Finna
    Carragher
    Sami
    Arbeloa
    Babel
    benni
    Gerrard
    Masch
    Veronin
    Crouch

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 32,037 ✭✭✭✭~Rebel~

Is Yossi definately fit? If so i'd love to see;

Reina
    Finnan
    Agger/Hypia
    Carra
    Arbeloa
    Yossi
    Kewell
    Gerrard
    Mascherano
    Torres
    Voronin

With Babel coming on for a half hour, same as today.

Hoping for quick attacking football and a heavy win! (since i'll be at it ;) )

I'd agree with that, except I'd change Crouch for Kuyt. And Alonso(if fit) for G-Unit(LOL), or Masch. And maybe Riise for me old mate Alvaro too.........?

Heh. you are definitely a troll. Arbeloa has been one of our best performers this season. Riise has been our worst along with Sissoko. Alonso isnt even nearly fit.

Benayoun wont be back for about another 10 days. 28th December for Alonso.

In that case ill go for Kewell and Babel as the wingers. I hope Babel can do from the start what he's been doing from the bench his last few games. Starting to look more like the star of last summers U-21's games again.

Heh. you are definitely a troll. Arbeloa has been one of our best performers this season. Riise has been our worst along with Sissoko. Alonso isnt even nearly fit.

I did say "Alonso - if fit". I didn't know he wouldn't be back until the end of December.

I don't think that's "trolling".

I did say "Alonso - if fit". I didn't know he wouldn't be back until the end of December.

I don't think that's "trolling".

I think he was more alluding to wanting Riise (one of our most disappointing players this season) to come in replacing Arbeloa (one of our best and consistant players this season).

~Rebel~ wrote: »
    In that case ill go for Kewell and Babel as the wingers. I hope Babel can do from the start what he's been doing from the bench his last few games. Starting to look more like the star of last summers U-21's games again.

Indeed. Wasnt sure about him on the left wing as he seemed to come inside every single time and didn't really look like a winger. He looks much more comfortable on the right. Hes very strong & quick and has a terrific shot. Have noticed him improving slowly but surely with every game. Have to keep reminding myself that hes only 20..

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 38,247 ✭✭✭✭Guy:Incognito

copacetic wrote: »
    if kuyt was standing up players in the area and waltzing by them like they weren't there i'd be feckin delighted, even if he didn't finish them all. Torres seems to make a lot of his own chances which makes all the difference.

Torres got the chance to hit the post for the open goal becuase of Kuyt's workrate. He made the run with Torres and got himself involved when the ball broke twice to nick the ball to Torres. He was lurking and being a nuisance for a couple of other Torres chances.

His work rate created a lot today. He's never going to bang in goals and be the main striker. He works really well with Torres, the besty partnership imo, and does a lot of donkey rok for him that directly or indiresctly leads to chances. That sort of input cannot be underestimated.

• Advertisement

I think he was more alluding to wanting Riise (one of our most disappointing players this season) to come in replacing Arbeloa (one of our best and consistant players this season).

I think Riise's dip in form is due to his personal problems?? Wasn't he declared bankrupt a while ago? I think the worst thing that can be done to someone who's confidence is low, is drop him?

But Riise has been off his best for a few seasons now. Anyway, doesnt matter what personal problems he is having, hes a professional and he shouldnt let it effect him on the pitch. Kuyts dad died recently, England didnt qualify for Euro08 and Gerrard was booed every time he got the ball today, Crouch was attacked by the press when he joined...everyone has personal problems.

But Riise has been off his best for a few seasons now.

Maybe he'll be sold in January......? Anything could happen with Rafa in charge!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,987 ✭✭✭✭zAbbo

Skipped over most responses here, so apologies if this has been already covered, but I don't buy the 'accommodated' argument.

Players like Gerrard don't have to rigidly stick to a formation, Remember it's sky tv who put him down as a right sided player, even though he never lines up that way.

Gerrard did nothing, apart from score, setup another, and create chances.

All said and done, Liverpool are 3 off United with a game in hand, and I'd rather have the problem of how to 'accomodate' Gerrard, than wonder why I wasted 60-70m on midfielders, why Rooney is so injury prone, whats wrong with Saha, and why I rested Ronaldo...

Who knows with AF ;)

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 6,315 ✭✭✭Jazzy

nah its cool.
    negative troll tbh.

and if u like comedy this is the news!

sissoko is sh1te tho. Riise is good, id keep him. as far as im concerned, we should be in no rush to sell a versatile Left sided player who had a howitzer inserted where his foot should be aged 12

nah its cool.
    negative troll tbh.

and if u like comedy this is the news!

sissoko is sh1te tho. Riise is good, id keep him. as far as im concerned, we should be in no rush to sell a versatile Left sided player who had a howitzer inserted where his foot should be aged 12

lol:D

I think Riise's dip in form is due to his personal problems?? Wasn't he declared bankrupt a while ago? I think the worst thing that can be done to someone who's confidence is low, is drop him?

The whole bankruptcy thing is a non starter. He has a debt with a previous agent that he dropped, and getting officially called bankrupt at his current address was something along the lines of his solicitors method of trying to get the payment annulled.

To put it in perspective, the amount of debt this was over is only 2 of his weeks wages. I.E Not a big personal problem.

I wouldn't be at all surprised to see him go to Villa for 6 or 7 million, but id be just as happy keeping him. Versatile player who is very handy to have in case of injury, i just dont want him being a starter unless he vastly improves, because put simply, we've got better players.

The whole bankruptcy thing is a non starter. He has a debt with a previous agent that he dropped, and getting officially called bankrupt at his current address was something along the lines of his solicitors method of trying to get the payment annulled.

To put it in perspective, the amount of debt this was over is only 2 of his weeks wages. I.E Not a big personal problem.

I wouldn't be at all surprised to see him go to Villa for 6 or 7 million, but id be just as happy keeping him. Versatile player who is very handy to have in case of injury, i just dont want him being a starter unless he vastly improves, because put simply, we've got better players.

I'd like Rafa to keep him, but ya never know what he(Rafa) is going to do next?

I'd like Rafa to keep him, but ya never know what he(Rafa) is going to do next?

Is that some form of question?

• Advertisement

Stekelly wrote: »
    Is that some form of question?

No.

No.

Fair enough, it's just the question mark at the end of the sentence threw me.

Fair enough, it's just the question mark at the end of the sentence threw me.

I just put it in cos I(like a lot of Pool fans) am wondering what the hell Rafa is going to with the team next week........

I only just realised something. I watched the game from about 40 min son and just watched the highlights on MOTD, only after that did it dawn on me I never even realised Carra or Arbeloa were playing, and the only reason I saw Finnan and Hyypia was from when Finnan was stood on and Hyypia got the flick on for Kuyt's goal.

Not often you go through a match and highlights without realising who's playing in your defence. No bad thing.:)

I only just realised something. I watched the game from about 40 min son and just watched the highlights on MOTD, only after that did it dawn on me I never even realised Carra or Arbeloa were playing, and the only reason I saw Finnan and Hyypia was from when Finnan was stood on and Hyypia got the flick on for Kuyt's goal.

Not often you go through a match and highlights without realising who's playing in your defence. No bad thing.:)

lol

Newcastle didn't have a shot on target the whole game!

- Is that Chris Morris clip real or is the whole thing staged ? <3 Brass eye, Day today & Jam.

• Advertisement

I bet Sam Allardyce is rueing going "oop north" now, eh?? :D

I just read on Ceefax that Rafa Benitez has accused Tom Hicks & George Gillett of "not understanding what the January transfer window is all about". If I was Rafa Benitez, I'd keep my mouth shut, and get on with the job in hand.....

• Subscribers Posts: 16,592 ✭✭✭✭copacetic

If I was Rafa Benitez, I'd keep my mouth shut, and get on with the job in hand.....

so thats the only hope we have of you keeping it shut?

copacetic wrote: »
    so thats the only hope we have of you keeping it shut?

Oh, cheer up will ya?

I just read on Ceefax that Rafa Benitez has accused Tom Hicks & George Gillett of "not understanding what the January transfer window is all about". If I was Rafa Benitez, I'd keep my mouth shut, and get on with the job in hand.....

Ceefax ? And here was I thinking you were savy to some sort of inside information.

They are just referring to what he said in the post match interview.

• Advertisement

Ceefax ? And here was I thinking you were savy to some sort of inside information.

They are just referring to what he said in the post match interview.

Which I didn't see......hence that's why I quoted Ceefax.

Goodnight.

Which I didn't see......hence that's why I quoted Ceefax.

Goodnight.

The way it was said was actually quite grand. He was obviously asked about what happened so he just explained that they dont quite realise about the work that must be done before the transfer window so available targets dont get snapped up, and that he is doing it in the best interests of the club, and that they have the clubs best interests at heart too, but just wouldn't have seen anything like the european transfer window before so don't know of the workings required. Was all said with a smile on his face, quite pleasant and he also said the England job thing wasn't serious.

Comparison to last season.

1. Manu 13 34
    2. Cheslki 13 31
    10. Liverpool... 13 18

Positon: 10th,
    Distance to first place: 15 points,
    Distance to second: 12 points.
    Goals scored :14
    Goals conceded: 15

1. Arsenal 13 33
    2. Manu 14 30
    5. Liverpool 13 27

Position : 5th
    Distance to first place : 6 points
    Distance to second : 3 points
    Goals scored: 22
    Goals conceded: 6

• Moderators, Music Moderators Posts: 11,373 Mod ✭✭✭✭lordgoat

1. Manu 13 34
    2. Cheslki 13 31
    10. Liverpool... 13 18

1. Arsenal 13 33
    2. Manu 14 30
    5. Liverpool 13 27

So by that logic???

lordgoat wrote: »
    So by that logic???

eh...we have improved significantly.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 29,372 ✭✭✭✭Mr Alan

2006 : Lucas (Grêmio)
    2005 : Carlos Tévez (Corinthians)
    2004 : Robinho (Santos FC)
    2003 : Alex (Cruzeiro)
    2002 : Kaká (São Paulo FC)
    2001 : Alex Mineiro (Atlético Paranaense)
    2000 : Romario (Vasco da Gama)
    1999 : Marcelinho (Corinthians)
    1998 : Edilson (Corinthians)
    1997 : Edmundo (Vasco da Gama)
    1996 : Djalminha (Palmeiras)
    1995 : Giovanni (Santos FC)
    1994 : Amoroso (Guarani)
    1993 : César Sampaio (Palmeiras)
    1992 : Júnior (Flamengo)
    1991 : Mauro Silva (Bragantino)
    1990 : César Sampaio (Santos FC)

Leiva is a ****ing class little player, was so excited about seein him for us this year and he hasnt once disappointed.

great result today.

where is all the negative ****ers from the last efw weeks now? delightful.;)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,587 ✭✭✭✭Dont be at yourself

Tusky, at times I feel it's only yourself and myself with any bit of optimism on here!

Bring on Porto :)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,220 ✭✭✭✭Lex Luthor

Well Rafa is entitled to his opinon but he shouldn't be talking about his feelings towards his bosses in public. Its not good

1. Manu 13 34
    2. Cheslki 13 31
    10. Liverpool... 13 18

1. Arsenal 13 33
    2. Manu 14 30
    5. Liverpool 13 27

Ya those stats are good and with Liverpool really not playing particularly well according to most pundits its nice reading. However, they need to beat Man U next month or it will all be for nothing. All this without Agger as well.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 182 ✭✭bbop

big story today in the News of the World (yes i know hardly the most relliable) that Rafa's sacking is imminent and that Mourinho is lined up to take over. I think this is very possible, maybe not in the next few weeks but definatly in the summer

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 15,399 ✭✭✭✭Thanx 4 The Fish

I would not like Mourinho as manager. didn't like him at Chelsea and would not like him at Anfield.

I do not think Rafa will be sacked and I do think that the explanation that he gave yesterday was good enough for the owners for the reasons that he was upset.

• Advertisement
This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement