Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Dx 10.1 !!!

Options
  • 10-08-2007 3:48pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 459 ✭✭

DX 10.1 !!!
    Coming out next year with the service pack 1 for Vista, and get this, it’s not compatible with current gen cards! That’s right you heard me, that 550 euro monster in your pride and joy is heading towards extinction faster than you can say Dinosaur.

http://www.extremetech.com/article2/0,1697,2168429,00.asp

Should I be upset about this? I mean the pc business moves fast enough, but when a product is out of date before anybody actually uses it its just wrong. I was going to buy a new 8800 GTS 649 MB this week because I figured the extra memory would see me through a few years. Boy am I glad I didn’t buy it. I mean I still want to buy it, but the voices in my head say “don’t be a sucker, scr*w this crap and buy a console, just not an Xbox, scr*w micro$oft from a vast height". My excitement for my new PC has gone from 60 to 0 in nano seconds. Anybody care to comment?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 3,357 ✭✭✭papu

tbh anyone who bought a card solely with dx10 in mind is an idiot , 8800 series is nearly a year and a bit old now..

Who cares, by the time DX 10.1 is common in games your current DX10 card will be obsolete.

edit:: the dx10.1 games will run in dx10 , dx9c

stop bring silly keep up with the latest hardware and stop moaning , enjoy your new pc while it lasts , (half a year if your lucky)

edit:::

Starting after the August 2007 release of the DirectX SDK, Microsoft will deliver future updates four times per year. The next five releases now planned for delivery are:

* August 2007
    * November 2007 (instead of October and December)
    * March 2008 (instead of February and April)
    * June 2008
    * August 2008

This delivery schedule will continue our strong track record of regularly releasing new features and tools, while allowing for longer technology development cycles.

5236_large_juarez.jpg

• Closed Accounts Posts: 459 ✭✭Offalycool

Point taken, I haven’t bought the PC yet.. but this was to be the week and now I’m not so sure. The update for DX 10 comes out early next year, and I don’t think I have read one review for new Graphics cards that hasn’t stated "because its DX10 you can be secure in the knowledge it will be good for the foreseeable future".. or something to that effect. I may be moaning a bit, but maybe you should be to.

Edit: I dont know what to do now, any suggestions ?

Offalycool wrote:
    Point taken, I haven’t bought the PC yet.. but this was to be the week and now I’m not so sure. The update for DX 10 comes out early next year, and I don’t think I have read one review for new Graphics cards that hasn’t stated "because its DX10 you can be secure in the knowledge it will be good for the foreseeable future".. or something to that effect. I may be moaning a bit, but maybe you should be to.

Edit: I dont know what to do now, any suggestions ?

im not moaning at all and if you want to go ahead its just immature ,

new hardware and software comes out all the time it sucks but thats life

im happy with my 2900 and ive a year or 2 now to save up for my new gfx , if the current cards suck at dx10 , when dx10.1 comes out well have sufficent hardware to play dx10 on full ,

dx10 will be here for a while hell you can play most games in dx8 still if you wish , even the new half life episode 2 will be able to play it in dx8 people.

youll stil be able to play dx9 on your 8800 or 2900 series for years to come..

;buY a gts and be happy with it for a year or 2 :D

Fair enough. Just sound to me like MS fudged the whole Vista and DX10 job and we have to pay yet again for what we were promised and paid for in the first place. The Audio requirements should have been laid out to hardware manufactures off the bat, and tweaks in rendering standards sounds like an attempt to fix the lacklustre performance we were told we would NOT get when we bought the stuff in the first place.

Offalycool wrote:
    Fair enough. Just sound to me like MS fudged the whole Vista and DX10 job and we have to pay yet again for what we were promised and paid for in the first place. The Audio requirements should have been laid out to hardware manufactures off the bat, and tweaks in rendering standards sounds like an attempt to fix the lacklustre performance we were told we would NOT get when we bought the stuff in the first place.

dx10 is more efficently coded than dx9 its just with dx10 game devs added so much eye candy it brought down the fraps a load , hopefully they'll improve the api a lot more , the servive pack is free , dx10.1 is free, new gfx's cost

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 4,757 ✭✭✭8T8

DX10.1 is just some polishing of DX10 this has happened before DX8 & DX8 1.4 DX9 2.0, 3.0 etc.

Some of the updates are pretty minor and it's suspected that existing GPU's may already be compliant but ATI and NVIDIA would not like that at all if they can sell you a new one then again they may be telling the truth it's hard to say as ATI said R600 went beyond DX10 spec but rumored next RV670 part is DX10.1 compliant.

As a I said in another thread nothing really to fret over DX9 will remain the dominant API for years to come and the hardwares performance is fine.

Also given that SP1 is coming so soon I imagine that DX10.1 will form the base for any future DX10 development in the forthcoming years.

Ok, I'll buy it. Was very disappointed when I found this as I'd spent so much time deciding on what to get.I think your right about DX9 and the performance is first class for it, so in for a penny in for a pound. Thanks for the reassurance.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,067 ✭✭✭L31mr0d

i think the current generation of builders have gotten too used to DX9 and they've forgotten this has always been the case. I do agree however that they are releasing new hardware before they have released anything major for DX10 (other than a few patched and badly optimized games). Still my GTX plays DX9 games amazingly, and it will see me through the next 6 months at least.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,084 ✭✭✭✭Kirby

Hey Leimrod. Hows things? still at ITB?

And yes, the announcement about directX does seem rather pointless. I mean, none of the developers will want to dedicate themselves to a game only running on a single version of directX...its limiting their customer base.

I wouldn't worry.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,420 ✭✭✭WellyJ

Boo

Don't want to replace my GTX any time soon but guess i might have to!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 15,815 ✭✭✭✭po0k

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,564 ✭✭✭Naikon

Apparently, the new Rage game from id doesent use the DX10 code path to display the eye candy even at the highest settings.
    Carmack in fact bashes it, and because he is an uber games programmer/designer, I will take his word for it:)

http://news.softpedia.com/news/John-Carmack-DX10-is-a-Piece-of-Crap-62154.shtml

Personally I am in favor of this, as the propitiatory DX environments are only tied to MS products currently and not Unix based operating systems:(
    Long live Opengl!!!*

*if only there was more support*

• Registered Users Posts: 2,420 ✭✭✭WellyJ

SyxPak wrote:

:rolleyes:

• Registered Users Posts: 15,815 ✭✭✭✭po0k

Roll your eyes all you want.

I link to The Truth And The Light.

Kirby wrote:
    Hey Leimrod. Hows things? still at ITB?

And yes, the announcement about directX does seem rather pointless. I mean, none of the developers will want to dedicate themselves to a game only running on a single version of directX...its limiting their customer base.

I wouldn't worry.

yeah i'm good? I graduated last year, I now get paid to spend hours on the internet, lol :D hows the compsoc, heard your mates ran it into the ground.

Fact of the matter is though that the full benefits of DX9 haven't even been reached yet. DX10 is MS's way of forcing people over to Vista, do you really believe it would of been "impossible" for MS to provide DX10 functionality in XP. So far DX10 has been a let down in regards performance, but a lot of people but this down to badly patched DX9 games. I guess next week we will get to see if this is correct or not with the release of the DX10 optimized game "Bioshock"

• Registered Users Posts: 9,480 ✭✭✭projectmayhem

L31mr0d wrote:
    DX10 is MS's way of forcing people over to Vista, do you really believe it would of been "impossible" for MS to provide DX10 functionality in XP.

you mean being forced to own vista to play halo2 (which is meh on PC anyway) was a big load of corporate tom-foolery?! :(

I went ahead and bought the Gainward 8800 GTS 640MB card along with some other components on Monday. Should turn up before the weekend hopefully. How hard is it to overclock this card, does the nvidia driver sweet have auto clock software or do I need a third party tool?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12,401 ✭✭✭✭Anti

Iv'e been readin alot about dx10.1 over the last few weeks, I originaly noticed it in the internal sp1 for vista. And all i can say is im glad. I will be needed a excuse to upgrade again ;)

As for overclocking i find ntune just fine, it works as well as rivia tuner and ati tool.

• Subscribers Posts: 6,408 ✭✭✭conzy

SyxPak wrote:
    www.opengl.org
    WellyJ wrote:
    :rolleyes:

Id Tech 5?

• Registered Users Posts: 683 ✭✭✭Scram

Offalycool wrote:
    DX 10.1 !!!
    Coming out next year with the service pack 1 for Vista, and get this, it’s not compatible with current gen cards! That’s right you heard me, that 550 euro monster in your pride and joy is heading towards extinction faster than you can say Dinosaur.

http://www.extremetech.com/article2/0,1697,2168429,00.asp

Should I be upset about this? I mean the pc business moves fast enough, but when a product is out of date before anybody actually uses it its just wrong. I was going to buy a new 8800 GTS 649 MB this week because I figured the extra memory would see me through a few years. Boy am I glad I didn’t buy it. I mean I still want to buy it, but the voices in my head say “don’t be a sucker, scr*w this crap and buy a console, just not an Xbox, scr*w micro$oft from a vast height". My excitement for my new PC has gone from 60 to 0 in nano seconds. Anybody care to comment?

wow i was about to do the same thing (upgrade GFX card) but i decided to upgrade the ram CPU and mobo first and stick with my current card for a while longer.

• Advertisement

Fact of the matter is though that the full benefits of DX9 haven't even been reached yet. DX10 is MS's way of forcing people over to Vista, do you really believe it would of been "impossible" for MS to provide DX10 functionality in XP. So far DX10 has been a let down in regards performance, but a lot of people but this down to badly patched DX9 games. I guess next week we will get to see if this is correct or not with the release of the DX10 optimized game "Bioshock"

no not really , imo vista is allot better than xp , the 3d desktop the live video previews , shininess , the easy networking and security .....

if you dont wanna switch now its fine but , its really inevitable , just like with windows 98 and windows me. people will change its not being forced imo , windows live gaming thing is a bit silly imo if they get it working it'l be great.

and once again you'll still be able to play your dx10 games in dx9 in xp
    do you really believe it would of been "impossible" for MS to provide DX10 functionality in XP

short answer ......yes

papu wrote:
    no not really , imo vista is allot better than xp , the 3d desktop the live video previews , shininess , the easy networking and security .....

if you dont wanna switch now its fine but , its really inevitable , just like with windows 98 and windows me. people will change its not being forced imo , windows live gaming thing is a bit silly imo if they get it working it'l be great.

and once again you'll still be able to play your dx10 games in dx9 in xp

short answer ......yes

Ok, the GUI end of things. Vista is pretty much in bed with Stardock, who create 3rd party visuals for XP. All the frontend gear in Vista is just fluff for the n00bs to think their new OS is 1337. Fact of the matter is that you can add all these features to XP but because MS hasn't optimized them to work with their OS they will be a lot more resource hogging.

Don't get me wrong, I personally use Vista and like it, and imo, the biggest reason people will have to move to it will be when they hit the 4GB of RAM limit and are forced to move to a 64bit OS. MS has released a load of fluff as to why DX10 can't be supported in XP, but have said nothing as to why technically it can't be achieved with an update. Only time will tell anyway as to whether a crack or an official release will give XP DX10 support.

Don't get me wrong, I personally use Vista and like it, and imo, the biggest reason people will have to move to it will be when they hit the 4GB of RAM limit and are forced to move to a 64bit OS. MS has released a load of fluff as to why DX10 can't be supported in XP, but have said nothing as to why technically it can't be achieved with an update. Only time will tell anyway as to whether a crack or an official release will give XP DX10 support.

im sorry i bough 2 gigs of ram to use it , vista takes up 500-700mbs and i have a 1300 left , the only time i ran out of memory was working on 30mb renders in photoshop :(

as for dx10 in xp , youll have to emulate half of vista so youll get huge preformance drops , if you spend 300-500 euros on a dx10 card and cant pony up for vista on a second partition its stupid imo

Advertisement