Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Anyone taking a year out?

Options
  • 10-08-2007 4:19pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 102 ✭✭

Realised recently that I've completely run out of enthusiasm for going to college this year. None of my friends are taking a year off, so I probably wouldn't head travelling. Perhaps I'd get a job for the year, make a bit of cash before next year. Anyone else taking a year off?Anyone taken one off and reckon it's worth it?Any ideas how easy/hard it is to defer your place?

Then again,maybe I'm just having a breakdown before Wednesday:cool: !

Appreciate any help.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,671 ✭✭✭genericgoon

No. Personally I cant wait for college. But you should do whatever you think feels right.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 94 ✭✭KarmaCreep

I'm considering it because i know for a fact i haven't got the coarse i want. If i do decide to take it off, i'll probably work for the year to save money for interrailing in the summer of '08.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,375 ✭✭✭fonpokno

one of my friends is taking a year out just cos she doesnt really know what she wants to do yet, i mean your probably better off taking the year out to figure yourself out rather than ending up doin somethin you dont really want!
    its pretty easy to defer as far as i know, just as long as your not doin one of those mad courses that like forbid deferrals...

• Registered Users Posts: 681 ✭✭✭Enemy Of Fate

No. Personally I cant wait for college. But you should do whatever you think feels right.
    I'm going to agree with Goon here, unless theres some financial reasons you can't go I see no point whatsoever in ''wasting'' a year (some people may not see it as wasting it, but I do).Also I can't wait to go to university.Finally get out of this ****hole.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 534 ✭✭✭sd123

fonpokno wrote:
    .....................just as long as your not doin one of those mad courses that like forbid deferrals...

as a matter of interest, what sort of courses forbid deferrals?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 9,472 ✭✭✭AdMMM

I'm going to agree with Goon here, unless theres some financial reasons you can't go I see no point whatsoever in ''wasting'' a year (some people may not see it as wasting it, but I do).Also I can't wait to go to university.Finally get out of this ****hole.
    I certainly would consider doing a course I don't like to be wasting a year. It would be only natural to manifest a hate, not only for your course but also for college itself, as your only experience of it for the year would be of hating a particular course and this may discourage you from wanting to change course the following year.

Also, it's been said that college isn't the be all and end all and travelling for a year would be a perfect opportunity to see life from a different perspective and be influenced by other cultures in ways you never thought you could be! Doing such a thing could help you realise what you really want to do in life and I'd certainly consider that to be a worthwhile and not a "waste of a year".

However, personally I know that I want nothing more than to go to college, as it's always been my dream to take up a course that I'll enjoy and will be good at and it looks very certain that I'll be doing just this in ~4 weeks time. Some people still aren't certain as to whether or not college for them and are feeling a bit lost and maybe even angry that they are expected by society to pass through the turnstile that is our education system!

• Registered Users Posts: 8,375 ✭✭✭fonpokno

sd123 wrote:
    as a matter of interest, what sort of courses forbid deferrals?

im not sure really, its in the cao handbook thing and on the site that some courses cant be deferred at all except in extreme circmstances, but there's only a handful as far as i know!

• Registered Users Posts: 266 ✭✭D. Coughlan

fonpokno wrote:
    im not sure really, its in the cao handbook thing and on the site that some courses cant be deferred at all except in extreme circmstances, but there's only a handful as far as i know!
    I think its the Medical type courses in UCC and some IT in Dublin, that have no deferrals.

I was thinking of taking a year out, to consider my options and I might be too young to go college ( that's what my joke of a Guidance teacher said to me).I doubt I will take the risk, of doing nothing for a year but I will see what I get offered next week.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,958 ✭✭✭Fobia

I'm taking a year out alright, decided a long time ago. I've worked in the college I intend to go to the past 2 Summers, and I just don't want to begin student life just yet.

The idea of "wasting a year" is a tad ridiculous...you have an awful lot of years to live :) not to mention if you go travelling as I am, and most people who take a year off tend to do, it could end up being an even more fulfilling year than going to college.

If you're not ready, not sure what you want to study, or simply really want to do something else for a while, I feel a year is a good idea...but of course I'm going to be biased :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 16,165 ✭✭✭✭brianthebard

fonpokno wrote:

Thats just something they say. I wrote to the cao saying I wanted to take a year out to earn money and they said fine. OP taking a year out is worth it if you make it so. I hated my job and hated living at home, so that sucked, but at least I didn't have to worry about money as much in first year at college. If you can find a job you might like for the year then you will be sorted.

• Advertisement

Doesnt anyone make money w/o the need for the year out.

/me checks his bank account

:)

• Registered Users Posts: 5,851 ✭✭✭PurpleFistMixer

I believe some art places disallow deferrals.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 273 ✭✭geminilady

Yeah might take a year out! Still young (17) though haven't decided fully yet! Probably work for a year or do a one year course or something. Don't think i'll end up travelling though.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 140 ✭✭megs_88

I took a year out after the Leaving last year as I wasnt happy with the courses I had originally applied for, so I declined them and worked for the year. Applied this year to do Computer Science and awaiting offer now. Taking a year out was the best thing I ever did :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 817 ✭✭✭md99

A year out is an increasingly tempting option as of late...

Totally agree with you! I see it as such a waste of time.. and also cannot wait till I get outta the ****hole that I currently find myself in.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 817 ✭✭✭md99

I dunno guys..I'm happy to live where I am for another year, and work, I'm finding the summer too short as a matter of fact..

Ive been working where I live for 2 years now. Just cause you lazy bums havent worked during school

:P Only messing but I am sick of this place. I want to broaden my horizons and am too cheap to do that by travelling for a year.

Yeah.. the summer has gone sooo quickly.. tis crazy!

But nothing would ever posses me to stay here.. for another year.. of nothingness.. I cannot wait to get away from this place!!!

Plus.. theres plenty time for travelling after college.. or during hols!

ahhhhhh roll on college!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

• Registered Users Posts: 681 ✭✭✭Enemy Of Fate

Hahaha.Just noticed most people who can't wait to get to college come from **** counties like Cavan (Genericgoon), Mayo (Ava-Adore) and Donegal (me).Hardly surprising really!

• Advertisement

Yeah you are right. Around here things get boring very quickly.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,784 ✭✭✭im...LOST

I don't know what I want to do yet and I'm quite scared about it.

I mean, I want to go to college but I'm just not sure if I want to go yet. I'm considering doing a one year PLC course and work in the evenings or something and then going to college next year. I feel that if I just started working full time then I might not return to full time education.

I'm such an indecisive person anyway but with only less than a week until the offers come out, I still don't even know if I want to go to college!

Any advice or anything, lads & ladettes?

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 43 toastomatic

I'm doing a PLC too.....they are good cos a) they last a year, which is long enough to learn something but not long enough to be extremely scary b) they improve your points and c) you get a qualification in something you like in a relatively short time and you can use it to go to college or to work...

if you're doing a PLC though, you mightn't be able to work every evening though. I know people who have done them and while its definitely alot less exam-based than the leaving, theres a lot of continous assessments and projects that you hand up in the end. You'd still be able to work for sure, but not every waking moment youre not on the course :D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 16,165 ✭✭✭✭brianthebard

im...LOST wrote:
    I don't know what I want to do yet and I'm quite scared about it.

I mean, I want to go to college but I'm just not sure if I want to go yet. I'm considering doing a one year PLC course and work in the evenings or something and then going to college next year. I feel that if I just started working full time then I might not return to full time education.

I'm such an indecisive person anyway but with only less than a week until the offers come out, I still don't even know if I want to go to college!

Any advice or anything, lads & ladettes?

My sister did a plc for a year and got a job in an accountants office (which is what she wants to do) and they are going to pay for her to do her exams. So a plc could be a very good choice, depending on what you do. It would've been great if I had done and ecdl when I took a year out cause I realise now when looking for a job that pc skills are a requirement, and while obviously I know how to use one and I can type at 60wpm, having those few letters often make the difference for an employer.

Well, I'm wanting to do Creative Multimedia in Dundalk IT but the PLC course that I'm interested in is very similar. It's multimedia based too.

So, if I did a PLC course I might be ahead of the game when I go to college next year.

Gah! I'm still so undecided!

Any other words of Wisdom?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,370 ✭✭✭Timans

If I was you, I would take the year out but as long as you definitely go to college.

Look at Operation Raleigh, google it, it's a trip for 5 or 10 weeks to poorer countries to help out etc. It's for gap year students so you'd meet people. No need to worry about being on your own AND, you don't have to struggle to make money for rent and bills etc.

Check it out, I'm probably going to do it next year in my year off. To Costa Rica/Nicaragua.

Interesting....I might look into it. Thanks Timans!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 994 ✭✭✭mental07

megs_88 wrote:
    Taking a year out was the best thing I ever did :)
    I second that.

I took a year out, did a computer skills course and worked part-time. I was quite young and not quite ready to make the move. I recommend it if you're not 100% ready to take the leap into college life just yet!

• Registered Users Posts: 2,370 ✭✭✭Timans

im...LOST wrote:
    Interesting....I might look into it. Thanks Timans!
    Anytime!

It looks brilliant, I'd recommend it to all!

Although, it's not cheap. 2,000 pounds sterling for 10 weeks.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,096 ✭✭✭An Citeog

Taking a year out can be great for some but not for others. It really depends on the person. That said, unless you really need to, I wouldn't recommend taking a year out just to work. Go travelling, see the world, do something meaningful. There are plenty of people who decide to take a year out, get a fulltime job, see all the money they're making and 10/15 years later, decide to go to college. That's not a good idea.

I was 17 for my whole first year of college and I too had toyed with the idea of taking a year out and going to South America. I didn't and tbh, I'm glad I didn't. Some people are anxious about taking that step from school to college but it really is nothing to be scared of. College is what you make of it (I know, couldn't avoid an old cliché :p ).

If you don't know what you want to do now, it's not all suddenly going to fall into place if you take a year out. You wont know if a course is right for you unless you try it out. If you're unsure about a particular course, the secret is picking the right college. If the course you chose isn't what you expected, you can always transfer to a different one (within reason).

If you're adamant about taking a year out, then try and use the time wisely and do something that might help you later on. If you intend on studying a language, spend some time in a country where that language is spoken or try and get yourself work experience in your chosen field. A lot of people aren't sure about the course they want but have a fair idea of the field in which they'd like to study i.e. science, business, medicine, engineering etc.

Another thing about travelling is that you can always do it during the summer. Most people will have up to 4 months off and that's plenty of time to see the world. All I'm saying is that there are loads of options and opportunities to travel and do something different. I've just spent the past year living in Germany as part of my course and intend to take a year out and head off to Barcelona in September. Don't worry about courses, colleges and moving away from the nest. Just pick the field that you want to study in and bob's your uncle! :)

Advertisement