Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Anyone taking a year out?

Options
2»

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 120 ✭✭______

after getting a course i didn't want(how could i put them in the wrong order on the f***ing CAO) but really dont want to stay here so i'm thinking of doing that course for the year and applying for a different one come january, would i have to pay fees for the other course the next year and would i be able to do a CAO application while doing a different course?

• Registered Users Posts: 266 ✭✭D. Coughlan

______ wrote:
    after getting a course i didn't want(how could i put them in the wrong order on the f***ing CAO) but really dont want to stay here so i'm thinking of doing that course for the year and applying for a different one come january, would i have to pay fees for the other course the next year and would i be able to do a CAO application while doing a different course?
    I think you would have to pay fees if the course was in the CAO and I think anyone can make a CAO application. If you have enough points for the course you want to do I would say take a year out, work and travel. Reapply next year and begin the course that you want to do, don't waste time doing a course you do not like.

I am not trying to tell you how to live your life here, it's up to you. Try the Irish Times helpline, they are more experienced than me.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,686 ✭✭✭EdgarAllenPoo

I took a year out in a weird way. I actually went to college the year I got my results but had to leave after Christmas for family reasons. I reapplied to the CAO the following year but still couldn't take up a course.

Now eveything is hunky dory and I can't wait to go back. Taking a year out albeit a forced one(it's actually more like two) has been a good thing, I think.

I had no intention of doing it but now that I have and I've worked full-time during that time I think I'm better suited to college than I was the first time.

It's really all a question of how you handle the jump from second level to third level. I did the LC from home so college was a big step up for me. Looking back on it now I now how to handle it.

Incidently I think after your first month or two in college you'll wonder why you found the LC so stressful.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 120 ✭✭______

GDM wrote:
    Incidently I think after your first month or two in college you'll wonder why you found the LC so stressful.

my problem was i didn't find it stressful at all

GDM wrote:
    I took a year out in a weird way. I actually went to college the year I got my results but had to leave after Christmas for family reasons. I reapplied to the CAO the following year but still couldn't take up a course.

Now eveything is hunky dory and I can't wait to go back. Taking a year out albeit a forced one(it's actually more like two) has been a good thing, I think.

I had no intention of doing it but now that I have and I've worked full-time during that time I think I'm better suited to college than I was the first time.

It's really all a question of how you handle the jump from second level to third level. I did the LC from home so college was a big step up for me. Looking back on it now I now how to handle it.

Are you suggesting that College is Stressful because what I heard about it is the complete opposite.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,686 ✭✭✭EdgarAllenPoo

It's as stressful as you make it. If you let assignments pile up and don't study for Christmas and summer exams it can be very uncomfortable.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 236 ✭✭Seinas

eh i need some advice....... ive decided to take a year out, but i already accepted my course during the week... so what do i do??

Seinas wrote:
    eh i need some advice....... ive decided to take a year out, but i already accepted my course during the week... so what do i do??
    Not too sure, ring the college maybe

• Registered Users Posts: 2,370 ✭✭✭Timans

Ring the college and ask to defer it?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,564 ✭✭✭Naikon

GDM wrote:
    It's as stressful as you make it. If you let assignments pile up and don't study for Christmas and summer exams it can be very uncomfortable.

Still, can't be as bad as the LC if you work hard enough imo.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 158 ✭✭madgal

I moved to belfast the week after the leaving cert, got a job and decided that since the pay was good, I would take a year out, explore what I really want to do, and have good craic.

So then the leaving cert results came out, I did crap as predicted but to be honest I didnt give 2 stuffs about the system, and was determined that if I did crap, I'd repeat only in Belfast doing A levels.

So right now, I'm working mon-friday... have a half day on wednesday to study business studies a level in the evenings, have free weekends, get paid just under €2000 a month, totally independant, with my friends ... who really needs a college degree to be happy?

I want to do the business studies a levels because I might as well get something else under my belt, while Im young and working away. There is plenty opportunities in my job ... its like telesales... and I realised that theres so much pressure on people to go to uni, and sometimes it breaks people.

So theres my 2 cents

• Closed Accounts Posts: 206 ✭✭Steez

Bastards with your college-going-to. I'm taking a year out to repeat but it still should be a good bit of a laugh, hopefully :(

Advertisement