Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

All this banning

Options
  • 10-08-2007 4:47pm
    Registered Users Posts: 8,998 ✭✭✭

Hi,
    Does anybody ever think that all this banning and locking of threads is like primary school teachers giving people detention and putting them in the bold corner and in the grand scheme of things is quite sad?

I was just wondering would it better to make other changers to boards.ie so banning and locking doesn't happen as often as it does.

For example:
    * Make people take a quiz before their account is allowed post something on certain threads. Or something that is a bit more time consuming so that trollers have to spend some of their own time not just other people's.
    * Make people make a small donation (5 Euro) if they wish to post regulaly on boards.
    * Delete the thread altogether, rather than locking it.
    * Get rid of one week, two week etc bans. They are really naf. It's like being told you have to go to the bold corner for an hour or two and then once you've realised you were bold you can play with the other kids again. Just ban someone completly.
    * Get rid of bans from certain forums. Just ban them completly. See reason above.

Obviously nothing is perfect and the current system is probably the best arrangement.

I hate to say it, but sometimes (emphasis on sometimes) I get the impression mods enjoy locking threads and banning people.
    Post edited by Shield on

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 377 ✭✭( . )( . )

I hate to say it, but sometimes (emphasis on sometimes) I get the impression mods enjoy locking threads and banning people.

no :eek: ?

• Registered Users Posts: 17,958 ✭✭✭✭RuggieBear

i'd quite enjoy banning you, locking this thread and then putting you in the bold corner.

• Registered Users Posts: 43,907 ✭✭✭✭Basq

I get the impression mods enjoy locking threads and banning people.
    Locked and banned!

** jumps for joy and rubs hands in glee **

YAYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYY!

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 10,433 Mod ✭✭✭✭Mr Magnolia

SOOoooo many threads are deleted on a daily basis that you just don't know about. You'd have your eyes opened. Honestly.

The reason a thread is locked and not deleted is so that other posters can learn how the place works, what's acceptable and what's not.

the current system is probably the best arrangement.

That's that then :)

• Registered Users Posts: 3,437 ✭✭✭Crucifix

When I saw the title I was hoping the post would say "Can't we all just get along?".

Anyway; temp bans are like the bold corner, but the bold corner works for a lot of kids. I don't like the idea of mandatory donations either.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 8,998 ✭✭✭Tim Robbins

Crucifix wrote:
    When I saw the title I was hoping the post would say "Can't we all just get along?".

Anyway; temp bans are like the bold corner, but the bold corner works for a lot of kids. I don't like the idea of mandatory donations either.
    why not call it the bold corner and have a link you click on to see who is currently in it? at least have a bit of humour :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 88,978 ✭✭✭✭mike65

I like!

Mike.

• Registered Users Posts: 17,247 ✭✭✭✭6th

Hi,

Hi
    Does anybody ever think that all this banning and locking of threads is like primary school teachers giving people detention and putting them in the bold corner and in the grand scheme of things is quite sad?

Temp bans are a warning and a good system when not abused. Perm bans are rarely carried out without good reason.
    I was just wondering would it better to make other
    changers to boards.ie so banning and locking doesn't happen as often as it does.

You really think banning people is better than locking threads that get out of control are are pointless?

For example:
    * Make people take a quiz before their account is allowed post something on certain threads. Or something that is a bit more time consuming so that trollers have to spend some of their own time not just other people's.

Alot of people wouldnt bother then and Boards would be alot smaller.
    * Make people make a small donation (5 Euro) if they wish to post regulaly on boards.

Stupid idea, how would people pay this? Not all of the membr have creditcards or paypall accounts.

Some threads are locked when they run their course and therefore have something worth reading up until the lock.
    * Get rid of one week, two week etc bans. They are really naf. It's like being told you have to go to the bold corner for an hour or two and then once you've realised you were bold you can play with the other kids again. Just ban someone completly.

Seriously, you think someone should get a perm ban if they get out of line rather than a temp ban? Very Silly.
    * Get rid of bans from certain forums. Just ban them completly. See reason above.

What Forums would you suggest?
    Obviously nothing is perfect and the current system is probably the best arrangement.

As the saying goes if its not broke then dont offer retarded suggestions ... or something like that?

Can you link to some examples of where you think this is the case or are you just typing for the sake of it?

• Registered Users Posts: 6,790 ✭✭✭cornbb

How about we do away with temp bans/forum bans and introduce a penalty points system?

A mod can give a user a point for a minor infarction. If a user accumulates enough points (say 10?) they are permanently sitebanned.

That would allow risqué posts but muppetty behaviour would quickly cease as their "nine lives" run out.

Of course SMods could still step in to "take care of" spammers/spanners :)

• Registered Users Posts: 11,393 ✭✭✭✭Vegeta

why not call it the bold corner and have a link you click on to see who is currently in it? at least have a bit of humour :)

I think this is a great idea but I fear people would try and get on the list on purpose, but I would have a good laugh at it

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 10,433 Mod ✭✭✭✭Mr Magnolia

Works fine the way it is IMHO

• Registered Users Posts: 68,317 ✭✭✭✭seamus

It is indeed terribly sad that we need to ban/lock. Such is the perils of dealing with the public.
    My evil side likes this. What kind of questions though?
    How do you work that? Only allow 5 posts/day until you pay a fiver? It's not something admins would go for. They've always said that first and foremost, the site will be free to register and post.
    Meh, yes and no. Locked threads are untidy, but they provide an audit trail. They also provide, "See this as an example" for future issues.
    I'm not sure I'm all too fussed about image, or being un-naf. I'd be of the belief that banning someone completely only gives them an excuse to re-register. Leave it at a week, and they should be able to control themselves.
    So you mean, do anything wrong, on any forum and you get banned from the whole site? See my point above. Also, different forums have different rules, there are plenty of cases where a post is acceptable on one forum, but not on another.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 377 ✭✭( . )( . )

cornbb wrote:
    How about we do away with temp bans/forum bans and introduce a penalty points system?

A mod can give a user a point for a minor infarction. If a user accumulates enough points (say 10?) they are permanently sitebanned.

That would allow risqué posts but muppetty behaviour would quickly cease as their "nine lives" run out.

Of course SMods could still step in to "take care of" spammers/spanners :)

vBulletin does this already.

why doesn't boards update their vBulletin Version??????????????

• Registered Users Posts: 27,645 ✭✭✭✭nesf

The problem is people start complaining that their thread disappeared. Locking a thread at least makes it's obvious. It's untidy and clutters the place but it's better than the alternatives unfortunately.

( . )( . ) wrote:
    why doesn't boards update their vBulletin Version??????????????

Afaik, Dev mentioned that they were doing it. I imagine that it's not trivial with this site and the amount of hacks they've done to the present version of VB.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,998 ✭✭✭Tim Robbins

seamus wrote:
    It is indeed terribly sad that we need to ban/lock. Such is the perils of dealing with the public.
    Yes and it's cringe inducing.
    My evil side likes this. What kind of questions though?
    You could get ask what are you going to forum.
    Before you can post in the Christianity forum, you get ask a question are you posting to find about christianity or share your christianity with other people? etc. This way you can be profiled in some to stop people trolling.

Or in a politics forum, you are asked to rate your own knowledge on politics and then asked to proof it by being asked basic questions on the constituition.

This might stop a lot of spoofers and trollers.
    A poster could make a thread open only to certain people. For example Christians could make a thread open only to Christians etc.
    How do you work that? Only allow 5 posts/day until you pay a fiver? It's not something admins would go for. They've always said that first and foremost, the site will be free to register and post.
    You get 100 for free. After that you pay a fiver or else spend 20 minutes of your life re-registering.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 29,130 ✭✭✭✭Karl Hungus

I think one of the best ways to stop trolling would be to close this thread. :)

• Registered Users Posts: 17,247 ✭✭✭✭6th

If it took me 20 mnutes to reg back in the day I wouldnt have bothered and I certainly wouldnt have paid before knowing what the site offers. As for the hoops of questions I wouldnt bother.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,294 ✭✭✭Jack B. Badd

I was just wondering would it better to make other changers to boards.ie so banning and locking doesn't happen as often as it does.

How about electro-shock aversion therapy via the naughty boards user's keyboard until we find a way of weeding the "stupid gene" out of the majority of the population? :rolleyes:

Seriously, what is wrong with the current system?! Sure a lot of people get banned...but that's because they're idiots.

• Registered Users Posts: 26,061 ✭✭✭✭Terry

A poster could make a thread open only to certain people. For example Christians could make a thread open only to Christians etc.
    And there I was thinking you were left wing.

• Advertisement
  • Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 28,804 Mod ✭✭✭✭oscarBravo

Or in a politics forum, you are asked to rate your own knowledge on politics and then asked to proof it by being asked basic questions on the constituition.
    Which constitution? The Irish one? Knowledge thereof is not - nor will it ever be - a pre-requisite for participating in a discussion on Politics.
    This might stop a lot of spoofers and trollers.
    It would also create a sh*tload of work for moderators who - contrary to popular opinion - have lives.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,799 ✭✭✭Tha Gopher

Hi,

True true. Ive always found the mods on most forums most reasonable (even the much maligned Soccer mods, I really cant see the hate here). AH has been the biggest beacon for power trippers (having said that, I can only recall two trigger happy banners and one who used the oul lock too fast). Of the current crowd of AH mods theres only one I feel is P-Trippin cuzz....

• Closed Accounts Posts: 10,910 ✭✭✭✭RoundyMooney

...they banned you?

TIM ROBBNIS FOR M0D OF TEH NEVILLE CHAMBERLAIN F0RUM!!!!ONE11!

Tha Gopher wrote:
    True true. Ive always found the mods on most forums most reasonable (even the much maligned Soccer mods, I really cant see the hate here). AH has been the biggest beacon for power trippers (having said that, I can only recall two trigger happy banners and one who used the oul lock too fast). Of the current crowd of AH mods theres only one I feel is P-Trippin cuzz....

Name and shame, name and shame.... :p

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,799 ✭✭✭Tha Gopher

Meh, aint yerself, always found you fair enough (though i think you may have banned me once but hey, fuggedaboutit) :)

Maybe it wasnt, i cant recall

If there is any type of stat count re lockage and bans yil see who I mean ;)

Honestly, I don't think any of the AH mods at present are on power trips and locking threads and banning people for fun, and I probably have a much better view of things than you do considering I can see when people get banned etc.

nesf wrote:
    Honestly, I don't think any of the AH mods at present are on power trips and locking threads and banning people for fun, and I probably have a much better view of things than you do considering I can see when people get banned etc.
    Speak for yourself.
    I'm totally power tripping.

I believe I banned you before too, gopher.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 43,045 ✭✭✭✭Nevyn

pfff what is with all the posters who are idiots and break the rules so that mods have to lock threads and ban people.

Yeah, but what about our freedom of speech being infringed upon?
    We should be able to do and say whatevewr we want.
    I use this other forum and

**** it. I give up.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 23,216 ✭✭✭✭monkeyfudge

Tha Gopher wrote:
    Just be thankful I didn't take up the position of AH mod when it was offered to me.

Any thread not about monkeys would be locked!

Advertisement