Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

All this banning

Options
2»

Comments

• Business & Finance Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 32,387 Mod ✭✭✭✭DeVore

Its unfortunate that we do have to have controls like temp banning and what have you, but they seem "chilidish" only because we have to adopt the tactics of "parenting" due to the immaturity of some users (a very small number it must be said but all the same they are noticed where as the 2000 other concurrent users arent).

I wish this werent so but its the best system despite its imperfections imho. We have temp bans because it actually *cuts down* the number of reregistrations. Example: Dickwad-The-Third goes into Islam to enquiry why they are all a bunch of nappy-headed-bombers. He gets site banned and comes back immediately as Dickwad-The-Third2. If he gets forum banned from Islam, he will generally content himself with wandering around the other forums, often not being a dickwad and behaving himself (many of our "problem users" have a problem only with one forum and are otherwise well behaved...). Additionally what might get you banned from Humanities might be considered a fun post in AH.... should the user get banned from AH for his post in Humanities?? Or simply denied further access to the area where he isnt following the culture?

DeV.

• Subscribers Posts: 9,716 ✭✭✭CuLT

6th wrote:
    If it took me 20 mnutes to reg back in the day I wouldnt have bothered and I certainly wouldnt have paid before knowing what the site offers. As for the hoops of questions I wouldnt bother.
    Exactly why it should be in place.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,834 ✭✭✭Sonnenblumen

Sure a lot of people get banned...but that's because they're idiots.

Not all idiots get banned!

• Registered Users Posts: 3,294 ✭✭✭Jack B. Badd

Not all idiots get banned!

Sadly, it's an imperfect system :(

• Registered Users Posts: 9,235 ✭✭✭lucernarian

I'm *nearly* certain that mods wouldn't get satisfaction out of bannage (surely not?!:eek:) but there's inconsistencies in bannings. It takes more to earn a ban in some fora than others. I think that's more about not suffering fools gladly and all that jazz.

The current system works fine, and I'd want it changed only if the mods wanted it to. They're the ones who have to make the banning decisions. (which are on occasion difficult)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 19,396 ✭✭✭✭Karoma

I print off every thread that gets out of hand, and every PM I get bitching about a moderator action and jerk off to them. I'm out of control. I am p-trippin (It's typed like that because 'power-tripping" is so difficult to type when one is jerking off.)

• Registered Users Posts: 9,235 ✭✭✭lucernarian

Karoma wrote:
    I print off every thread that gets out of hand, and every PM I get bitching about a moderator action and jerk off to them. I'm out of control. I am p-trippin (It's typed like that because 'power-tripping" is so difficult to type when one is jerking off.)
    For shame! There's some things you should keep to yourself...

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 60,097 Mod ✭✭✭✭Tar.Aldarion

and a cabin he will have there, of semen and paper made...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,799 ✭✭✭Tha Gopher

Terry wrote:
    Speak for yourself.
    I'm totally power tripping.

I believe I banned you before too, gopher.

Dont think so.

Its not the first time this week you confused me with someone else :confused: (see the Maddie McCann "quit talking about drugs! response :confused::) :rolleyes: )

Advertisement