Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

Seat Leon Climate Control

Options
  • 10-08-2007 5:18pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 267 ✭✭

Hello everyone this is my first post and im delighted to be part of this forum!

I recently bnought a 01 Seat Leon TDI SE 110. From the beginning there has been a noice from around the passenger area of the footwell.It sounds like someone drilling. I reckon it has something to do with the climate control system as when I turn it on a different drilling noise develops and when I put it to different settings differerent noises appear. Bloody thing wont turn off nomatter what I do.

Was wondering did anyone have the same problem or are there any mechanics out there that recognise the problem!

Thanks

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 12,863 ✭✭✭✭crosstownk

The blower motor is located behind the glove box. It could be that something is loose and vibrating/rattling. It could also be that something is fouling the blades on the fan which would cause a 'drilling' noise.

Can you hear this noise when the CC is off? Does the noise change according to the fan speed?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 267 ✭✭Bored-Stupid

No the noise remains when the CC is off.Most of the time it is constant but sometimes it cuts in and out!The noise differs when I turn it on and when I put the air con setting on or when I set it to circulate around the cabin!Could I get to it to see what the story is and what does it look like because its doing my head in and I dont even have a radio to drown out the noise!

Thanks for the reply!

If the fan is off, I fail to see how it is connected to the CC.

Can you nail down the precise location of the noise? Floor? Dash? Under the seat? etc, etc......................

TBH, It's gonna be hard to diagnose without hearing the noise first hand.

It is right in the top left hand corner of the car.Where the hands free kit is located.Maybe that could be the problem because it isnt working but I fail to see why the CC would act differently (noise wise) when I change the settings!!It really is giving me headaches!You can hear it from outside the car thats how bad it is!

• Registered Users Posts: 4,616 ✭✭✭milltown

Correct me if I'm wrong, but isn't the a/c compressor turning the whole time, even when the a/c is off? Only when you turn on the a/c it's put under load.

My Leon didn't have a/c so I've no idea where the compressor is but, if I were you, I'd be looking to see if it's on the left side. If the noise is audible outside the car, pop the bonnet and look and listen.

• Advertisement

milltown wrote:
    Correct me if I'm wrong, but isn't the a/c compressor turning the whole time, even when the a/c is off? Only when you turn on the a/c it's put under load.

Yep - when you press the A/C button (or switch from ECON) you engage a clutch at the compressor. The pulley wheel is continually turning but the compressor is not under load. But the OPs problem seems to be inside the cabin rather than under the bonnet.

OP - disconnect the hands free kit - I've heard faulty/broken kits make all sorts of noises.

Thanks boys.

Yeah will disconnect the kit because its blocking both my cupholder and my glovebox!!
    The nise is coming from the left hand side!So I guess the pulley wheel is the problem as the noise is constant even when the car and CC is off!

So I guess the pulley wheel is the problem as the noise is constant even when the car and CC is off!

No. The pulley wheel is out under the bonnet driven by a drive belt from the crankshaft pulley. I doubt it's causing the noise you hear in the cabin. The pulley wheel is out under the bonnet on the right hand side.
    crosstownk wrote:
    But the OPs problem seems to be inside the cabin rather than under the bonnet.

Bottom line........Does it sound like a big job and who would be the best bet to fix it.Was thinking of getting Conagheys Seat Dealer in Dunleer to look at it but ive heard they cost an arm and a leg for any job!

Have the phone kit removed. Most phone installers will fit the kit in behind the glove box, close to the blower motor. You don't have to remove but, just take out the inline fuse in the power leads supplying the phone kit. If that does the job it will save you a visit to the dealer.

As you experience the noise even when the CC & blower fan are off, it's quite possible that the fault is nothing to do with the CC.

• Advertisement
Advertisement