Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Upscaling DVD players...are they worth it?

Options
  • 10-08-2007 5:23pm
    Registered Users Posts: 894 ✭✭✭

Have a 42" Plasma HD ready. Is it worthwile getting an upscaling DVD player? Seen them for reasonable prices (€70-150) and want to wait until dust settles on blue ray/HD disks and for when they get cheaper (don't want/need PS3).

Thanks.,

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 30,285 ✭✭✭✭Ghost Train

Not really a simple yes or no. Depend a lot on the tv, and how good a job it does deinterlacing and scaling

If you switch from say component to hdmi/dvi, it's a digital connection, its a more direct way of sending the picture form the dvd player to the tv (with no analog to digital/digital to analog conversions) so yes should give better picture

Even if the new dvd player scales to 720p the tv might have to scale the picture again if the panel is 768 pixels. If it's a cheaper dvd player the deinterlacer mightn't be as good as the tv's deinterlacer, in which case sending standard pal 576i from the dvd player might give best results. Not all dvd players will do the same job decoding the video on a dvd

So there are a lot of factors, switching to a digital connection between the dvd player and tv I'd say should help, the electronics in the dvd player still has to do a decent job decoding the dvd and scaling/deinterlacing the video.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,650 ✭✭✭shayser

I got this. Gives a fantastic picture on my 40" LCD.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,650 ✭✭✭shayser

oops.

Advertisement