Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

No NCT disc

Options
  • 10-08-2007 5:33pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 267 ✭✭

Was caught around christmas in my last car of not having an NCT disc displayed.Any chance of getting a ticket at this stage?

P.s isnt it a joke that you can get 5 points for not displaying an NCT disc but only 3 points if your caught driving on a combination of drugs and drink!!

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 88,978 ✭✭✭✭mike65

Really? I was stopped yesterday and my NCT is out since end June, he waved me on.

Mike.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,097 ✭✭✭Darragh29

Was caught around christmas in my last car of not having an NCT disc displayed.Any chance of getting a ticket at this stage?

P.s isnt it a joke that you can get 5 points for not displaying an NCT disc but only 3 points if your caught driving on a combination of drugs and drink!!

It must have been out of date for a good while if you got done for not having an NCT disc...

• Registered Users Posts: 38,247 ✭✭✭✭Guy:Incognito

IS there a specific points penalty for a combination of drink and drugs? Asuming you mean over the drink limit when you include drink, you'd get a ban would you not?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 267 ✭✭Bored-Stupid

Well it was 3 in the morning and the boys were on a back road doing little else!Also couldnt find anything else to do me on!

• Registered Users Posts: 2,658 ✭✭✭old boy

me thinks it was pointed out on this forum sometime ago that it a requirement not legestation

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 4,579 ✭✭✭junkyard

I've never been questioned by the Gardai when stopped at checkpoints regarding no NCT disc on any of my cars. I never got any of my fleet tested and never will as long as I can. We must be the biggest suckers in Europe to put up with every rule and regulation that the EU throw at us. It never ceases to amaze me how compliant we are over here as the rest of Europe give the EU the finger. The NCT test is a joke anyway, yet another money making racket that some of us fools seem to think we have to put up with.

• Registered Users Posts: 384 ✭✭Dermo123

Came across checkpoint last weekend on a quite country road in my 1988 Merc. No NCT disc displayed (because I don't have one). Car is as good as new but the guard would not have known that. He directed his torch on my number plate for a few seconds then spent about 20 seconds reading the detail on my tax and insurance discs, I assume to see that everything matched up. He then waved me on and the lack of NCT never arose as an issue.
    Mentioned this fact at work to the lads and one of them told me that the guards requested extra pay for checking NCT as well but got no joy so they do not question the NCT at the checkpoints generally.
    I can't say if that is true or not but there is a sizeable amount of older cars with, out of date NCT discs or else not displayed at all. This must be due to lack of enforcement.
    It begs the question if you were involved in a crash would the insurance companies have any issue with the NCT status of the vehicles involved?

• Registered Users Posts: 6,163 ✭✭✭ZENER

When the NCT first appeared were we not informed that we would be unable to tax our cars without a valid NCT. Also weren't the insurance companies supposed to request the cert before renewing the policy (mine does - Hibernian) ?

If both of these are enforced how do people get away for so long without the cert ? Or am I just being naive ?

ZEN

As far as I'm concerned all my cars are well maintained, serviced regularly and will pass any motor assessors examination and that's good enough for me, I don't much like the idea of some failed motor mechanic telling me my car isn't roadworthy because I didn't remove my hubcaps or that he can't make out "Corcaigh" on my number plate or some other stupid f**king excuse to extract a retest fee out of me. NCT no thanks, it's just another scam in dear old Ireland and by dear I mean expensive.......:mad:

• Registered Users Posts: 2,013 ✭✭✭yayamark

its a bit odd all right, but its not 5 penalty points for not having it displayed thats only a fine, its 5 penalty points for not having an nct.

Its the law, and it only means getting your car tested every two years, whats the big deal?

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 152 ✭✭Jerryc

ZENER wrote:
    When the NCT first appeared were we not informed that we would be unable to tax our cars without a valid NCT. Also weren't the insurance companies supposed to request the cert before renewing the policy (mine does - Hibernian) ?

If both of these are enforced how do people get away for so long without the cert ? Or am I just being naive ?

ZEN

By paying for both online

• Registered Users Posts: 24,991 ✭✭✭✭Wishbone Ash

of not having an NCT disc displayed
    Just to clarify - not having the disc displayed or not having a valid NCT Certificate at all?

A drink driving offence would also include a mandatory court appearance, monetary fine and a driving ban.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,660 ✭✭✭maidhc

yayamark wrote:
    its a bit odd all right, but its not 5 penalty points for not having it displayed thats only a fine, its 5 penalty points for not having an nct.

There are NO penalty points for not having an NCT or an NCT disc. While a mandatory court appearance and 5 penalty points is provided for in the 2002 Road Traffic Act, the section relating to the NCT has never been brought into force, and as such is not law.

junkyard wrote:
    I've never been questioned by the Gardai when stopped at checkpoints regarding no NCT disc on any of my cars. I never got any of my fleet tested and never will as long as I can. We must be the biggest suckers in Europe to put up with every rule and regulation that the EU throw at us. It never ceases to amaze me how compliant we are over here as the rest of Europe give the EU the finger. The NCT test is a joke anyway, yet another money making racket that some of us fools seem to think we have to put up with.

Someday someone with your mentality will be the cause of a serious accident where several people will be killed (like what happened when several children, I think it was 5 children, were killed when the school bus overturned in the not to distant past and it turned out the ABS system was not working), and it will end up being a defect with the car which caused the crash and the fact that the car wasn't NCT'd in years will be found to be a contributory factor and the driver will be hung out to dry for it.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,379 ✭✭✭DublinDilbert

junkyard wrote:
    As far as I'm concerned all my cars are well maintained, serviced regularly and will pass any motor assessors examination and that's good enough for me, I don't much like the idea of some failed motor mechanic telling me my car isn't roadworthy because I didn't remove my hubcaps or that he can't make out "Corcaigh" on my number plate or some other stupid f**king excuse to extract a retest fee out of me. NCT no thanks, it's just another scam in dear old Ireland and by dear I mean expensive.......:mad:

I've no doubt your cars are all road-worthy condition, anyone who is into their cars will keep them in good safe condition ( which probably includes everyone on this forum)... The problem is the 95% of the population who aren't into their cars, its in all our interests that their cars are maintained to a safe standard, the NCT & enforcement of the NCT is the only way this can happen...

I do agree that the NCT it stupid forcing that the county should be irish, but it is a good thing that they are cracking down on reg plates that they are a standard font / size cause some people will just take the piss and put on tiny reg plates...

I also like getting my car back from the NCT and looking over the figures to make sure the brakes are all pulling the same amount, cause there'd be now way i would know this otherwise, also i don't know one garage that has a rolling road who could perform this test...

I've no doubt your cars are all road-worthy condition, anyone who is into their cars will keep them in good safe condition ( which probably includes everyone on this forum)... The problem is the 95% of the population who aren't into their cars, its in all our interests that their cars are maintained to a safe standard, the NCT & enforcement of the NCT is the only way this can happen...

I do agree that the NCT it stupid forcing that the county should be irish, but it is a good thing that they are cracking down on reg plates that they are a standard font / size cause some people will just take the piss and put on tiny reg plates...

I also like getting my car back from the NCT and looking over the figures to make sure the brakes are all pulling the same amount, cause there'd be now way i would know this otherwise, also i don't know one garage that has a rolling road who could perform this test...

A lot of garages have the same equipment as the NCT now, especially garages that do any amount of NCT prep work.

• Registered Users Posts: 22,280 ✭✭✭✭Esel

Darragh29 wrote:
    A lot of garages have the same equipment as the NCT now, especially garages that do any amount of NCT prep work.
    I seriously doubt that. Have you seen the NCT equipment? Rolling road etc?

Not your ornery onager

• Closed Accounts Posts: 88,978 ✭✭✭✭mike65

As long as you can tax and insure a car without the NCT many will not bother getting it done.

Mike.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 19,986 ✭✭✭✭mikemac

Was thinking about this today just on number plates. If they started passing people like saying "The Irish is wrong but the car is sound so you pass" then it may seem fair to most people but it's a bad idea.
    Otherwise people would start altering their plates, starting with the Irish as "that's not serious" but where would it end? Give some car owners an inch and they'll take a mile.
    What we have now regarding number plates is fair. There's a set standard so either comply or fail. And it leads to less confusion :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 964 ✭✭✭Boggle

If they started passing people like saying "The Irish is wrong but the car is sound so you pass" then it may seem fair to most people but it's a bad idea.
    No, your number plate has zero effect on the car's roadworthiness and so should not be on the NCT.
    Things like that are the reason why people like me won't take the NCT seriously (I'm more worried about my tyres and brakes tbh!!).
    That and the things liek your NCT being valid 2 years from date of renewal instead of test just annoy people as it reinforces the notion that its primary purpose is for revenue, not safety.

• Advertisement

Boggle wrote:
    your number plate has zero effect on the car's roadworthiness and so should not be on the NCT
    It is important, in the interests of road safety, that registration plates can be easily identified to other motorists, Gardaí and via traffic/speed cameras. The simpliest way to do that is to have a standard type, otherwise the merits of all designs would have to be considered individually which would be time consuming and expensive.
    Boggle wrote:
    That and the things liek your NCT being valid 2 years from date of renewal instead of test just annoy people as it reinforces the notion that its primary purpose is for revenue, not safety.
    If it is a legal requirement that it is done every 2 years then I can't see why giving 2 years from the date of renewal is a problem. Otherwise motorists would pospone their tests and attempt to do less tests than legally required over the lifetime of the vehicle.

Darragh29 wrote:
    Someday someone with your mentality will be the cause of a serious accident where several people will be killed (like what happened when several children, I think it was 5 children, were killed when the school bus overturned in the not to distant past and it turned out the ABS system was not working), and it will end up being a defect with the car which caused the crash and the fact that the car wasn't NCT'd in years will be found to be a contributory factor and the driver will be hung out to dry for it.
    Absolute rubbish, I have newer equipment in my garage than most of the NCT centres and I'm a qualified motor assessor, my cars are better maintained than the majority of them on the roads today. I know of some people who borrow tyres and even lights to get their cars through the test to get a piece of paper to say its road worthy.......yes, until they get home and put their defective parts back on the car. The NCT test is only valid for the time the car was tested and even at that the test results fluctuate wildly at the testers whim.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 102 ✭✭2stageturbo

Do traffic wardens enforce the law with regards to the nct ? Or can they make more money for Bertie and boys from the usual offences ? Have a car with a nct that expired in 05 and have no intension of getting it done.Valid tax and insurance is more than enough for the average guard, unless its a traffic mule.;)

junkyard wrote:
    Absolute rubbish, I have newer equipment in my garage than most of the NCT centres and I'm a qualified motor assessor, my cars are better maintained than the majority of them on the roads today.
    I don't think the age of your equipment is really important. If it is newer than the NCT equipment, good for you. I've a new Sun VIC 3000 brake, suspension & sideslip test lane here and I have a new Sun DGA 1800 gas analyser. It does the exact same thing as the MAHA test lane the NCT centre use across town. Being qualified as a motor assessor doesn't really have much to do with the NCT process. You won't find many motor assessors working for SGS putting cars through NCT's in test centres across the country. The NCT forces you to put your vehicle through an independent road worthiness test. If your standards are apparently higher than the NCT criteria, what's your problem with the NCT???
    junkyard wrote:
    I know of some people who borrow tyres and even lights to get their cars through the test to get a piece of paper to say its road worthy.......yes, until they get home and put their defective parts back on the car. The NCT test is only valid for the time the car was tested and even at that the test results fluctuate wildly at the testers whim.

I know what the NCT involves mate. Can't say I've heard of people borrowing new parts from other cars to get them through the NCT. Most normal people comply with the requirements and have whatever work that needs to be done on their car so that it is roadworthy. I put about 5 cars a day through the NCT process on behalf of customers and I've never been asked once to take a shortcut like the type you mention above.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12 ktisel

Couple of people I know have driven around for years with no NCT and never had any problem in that respect from the cops....

Must say though, if I'm buying a car I'd like to see it has been through the NCT......

Also - Quinn Direct never ask if the car is NCT'ed...... Just happy to take your money...!

Darragh29 wrote:
    Can't say I've heard of people borrowing new parts from other cars to get them through the NCT
    It used to be a problem in commercial DOE tests.

ktisel wrote:

Also - Quinn Direct never ask if the car is NCT'ed...... Just happy to take your money...!

I know it's cool to hate Quinn and all, but I havent been asked by any insurance compnay if any of my cars were NCT'd .

• Closed Accounts Posts: 102 ✭✭2stageturbo

Hibernian asked me when i sold a 01 car and changed to a 95.

Hibernian asked me when i sold a 01 car and changed to a 95.

I had a 93, 2 94 cars, a 97 and a 00 car with hibernian in the last 18 months or so and was never asked. The gf wasnt asked eaither (00 scenic)

• Advertisement

The points I'm making regarding the NCT is firstly the NCT is really only valid for the duration of the test, and your really at the whim of the tester as to whether or not your going to pass and secondly as far as I'm concerned, it's just another stealth tax which the government hasn't the balls to implement properly because they were losing too much money from people not paying their road tax.

Advertisement