Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

12 month old climbing

Options
  • 10-08-2007 6:13pm
    Registered Users Posts: 27,645 ✭✭✭✭

He's gone from walking to climbing. He managed to climb to the top of the buggy today and was hanging out from the bars. :(

Any advice other than move things to higher ground? He doesn't have much sense being the age he is and that creates it's own problems. He has no fear etc.

Is it possible to create a climbing spot for them or are you forced just to keep an even closer eye on them?

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 43,045 ✭✭✭✭Nevyn

A closer eye and everything put up really high.
    To this day there are thing that are put up high in this house from when they were climbing cos they could or trying to get things which they know they are not allowed play with.

Usually at this age they are trying to climb/crawl up the stairs.
    Once they start to climb up you have to teach them to climb down.

From now until they get some sense it is a case of moving them out of harms way constantly
    and hoping they don't learn to climb out of the playpen too soon.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,593 ✭✭✭johnnyrotten

You'll just have to keep an eye on the little beggar. My daughter was walking at 8 months and my son at 9 months. It gets easier :eek: :eek:

• Registered Users Posts: 27,645 ✭✭✭✭nesf

Thaedydal wrote:
    Usually at this age they are trying to climb/crawl up the stairs.
    Once they start to climb up you have to teach them to climb down.

He started at that at six months. He was obsessed with going up and down the things. It was a nightmare when he figured out how to open doors in his grandparents (we've no stairs here, thankfully).

Thaedydal wrote:
    From now until they get some sense it is a case of moving them out of harms way constantly
    and hoping they don't learn to climb out of the playpen too soon.

He's been "climbing" in his cot and in the pen but he's not able to get a leg over yet. It's more a matter keeping big objects out of there for now.

You'll just have to keep an eye on the little beggar. My daughter was walking at 8 months and my son at 9 months. It gets easier :eek: :eek:

That's what our parents keep saying to us. ;)

It's better now than it was at the start. He just didn't nap or sleep well for the first six months and that was far worse imho.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,907 ✭✭✭✭CJhaughey

Do you have a stair gate? If not I would get one sooner rather than later.
    Supervision is really the only form of safety though,Apparently when I was 12mths old I disappeared at my grannies house, only when I was being searched for was I spotted, up a ladder on top of the house roof!
    I thought this was a funny story until I had my own monkeys, now the thought brings me out in a cold sweat!

• Advertisement

We've no stairs here. When he's at his grandparents he's closely watched and it's easy enough to isolate him from the stairs. It's a large house and he's generally restricted to two particular rooms where he's safe enough.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 17,485 ✭✭✭✭Ickle Magoo

We have to keep everything out of reaching & climbing hight & be extra vigilant, especially when they manage to climb onto a seat or up steps (we have door gates & stair gates to try & limit the damage that can be done while giving the kids relative free reign)...oh and watch out for the start of using tools to get to the high places you thought you'd safely moved things to, lol, I came into the room the other day & found my son had overturned a toy bucket & was standing on it trying to turn the DVD player on...:eek::)

• Registered Users Posts: 11,389 ✭✭✭✭Saruman

Let me tell you about me :D I was walking at about 7 months and climbing not long after that. My parents would come down at 6 am and find me downstairs in the kitchen climbing up in the cabinets!

Anyway by the time i was a year old i had pulled a cup of scalding tea on myself from the counter (should have been too high but i found a way :D). I still have a 3 inch or so scar.

So be careful, your kid sounds like how i was.

• Subscribers Posts: 19,425 ✭✭✭✭Oryx

nesf wrote:
    He's gone from walking to climbing. He managed to climb to the top of the buggy today and was hanging out from the bars. :(

Any advice other than move things to higher ground? He doesn't have much sense being the age he is and that creates it's own problems. He has no fear etc.

Is it possible to create a climbing spot for them or are you forced just to keep an even closer eye on them?
    You keep a closer eye, theres no easier way! Youll wish sometimes to go back to the stage where all they could do was lie on their back and coo at you.:) You will learn very quickly whats dangerous around your house, he'll show you!

Watch things like TVs, if he climbs up on it, it could topple. Also keep cables out of reach so he cant pull lamps radios etc down on himself. And oh, our bookcase is fun, our little one has emptied the first shelf dozens of times, and then tries to climb it.

KtK wrote:
    And oh, our bookcase is fun, our little one has emptied the first shelf dozens of times, and then tries to climb it.

We've seven bookshelves. We moved the "better" books to higher ground a few months back after he discovered the fun that is ripping pages out of them.

Cheers for the advice guys. :)

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 5 Cultcha

My son was exactly the same at 1, he's only 17 months now, and I am just extremely wrecked at the end of each day as he climbs on anything he can find and you just can't take your eyes off him for a second, he also, has no fear whatsoever and thinks it's great craic when you come running to save him from a fall, so continues to do it, with some success I might add.

The best thing I've found is to take him to safe places to climb, I take him to "The Little Gym" and he loves it there, all the Play barns and Play domes etc have some sort of climbling things for them, he loves them and it takes the stress out of it for me. Also, outside is great!!!!!!

Hope this helps!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,243 ✭✭✭kelle

This brings back memories of my son and daughter, and what is to come with my nearly 9 month old daughter:eek: ! This stage is a nightmare, I agree with Thaedydal that you need to teach them how to climb down places they can climb up.
    I've told this horror story many times here, but when my older daughter was 9 months old I had visitors, was making them tea and took it for granted they were watching my daughter as she was crawling around. Next thing I called out her name and heard "thud-thud" sounds coming from the stairs. She had climbed up 2 steps of the stairs, was startled by me calling her name and she fell down, landed on her tummy but then banged her head on the ceramic tiles. She ended up with a huge bruise, we took her for x-ray and she had a fracture of her skull. Thankfully, she only had an overnight stay in hospital and there's not a bother on her. I still beat myself up over this now, but I'll ensure it never happens my younger daughter.
    Moral of the story - invest in stairgates, and don't depend on others to watch your child, as only you are familiar with your child's moves (even if they take you by surprise most of the time!)

Advertisement