Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Tony Wilson RIP

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 37,214 ✭✭✭✭Dudess

Holy FU.CK!!! A legend indeed, no doubt about it. I've been a fan of New Order/Joy Division for so long now. And I have always been intrigued by the Factory story. Man, that is some news. Thanks for posting it. Maybe New Order will put their differences aside - temporarily anyway.
    Gone too soon - he wasn't even 60. And while he was probably not the easiest person, he undoubtedly did some genius things.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 88,978 ✭✭✭✭mike65

Heck! Thats terrible, a real character and just for a while someone who challanged the London based music biz.

Mike.

Yeah, Manchester owes him a hell of a lot. God, when you think about it, he pretty much WAS the Manchester music scene.

Wow they're fast on Wikipedia.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,726 ✭✭✭✭DMC

Anthony H. Wilson. Mr. Manchester.

RIP.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 551 ✭✭✭funktastic

Slap on 24 hr Party People

• Closed Accounts Posts: 11,848 ✭✭✭✭Doctor J

R.I.P.

He was a crazy bastid, in a good way, who left an unbelievable musical legacy.

• Registered Users Posts: 176 ✭✭Sir Graball

'Here are the young men
    The weight's on their shoulders'

No More Tony

RIP

• Registered Users Posts: 10,264 ✭✭✭✭Standard Toaster

:eek:

RIP Tony

• Closed Accounts Posts: 10,921 ✭✭✭✭Pigman II

Legend. RIP.

• Advertisement

Peter Hook leads tributes to Tony Wilson:

Peter Hook has paid tribute to Tony Wilson, who died yesterday, saying "my heart is broken".

The New Order and Joy Division bass player likened the passing of the Factory Records founder to the death of his father.

Posting on his MySpace blog from Japan, Hook wrote: "It's a very, very, very sad day. I feel very lost out here in Japan. It's like my father dying all over again. I'm devastated."

"I'll be going back to England as soon as possible to pick up the pieces. My heart goes out to Yvette, Oliver, Hilary and Isabelle. I'm thinking of you all, my heart is broken.

"Say hello to Rob, Ian and Martin for me please Tony. Rest in peace. God bless."

Wilson signed Joy Division to his Factory Records label, and together they opened Manchester's legendary Hacienda nightclub.

Wilson died yesterday in Manchester, from a heart attack following complications from cancer.
    RIP

Wilson was only six years older than Hook but I suppose Hooky's a bit of a big kid, and Tony struck me as the kind of person who always had an older head on his shoulders.

This line is particularly moving: "Say hello to Rob, Ian and Martin for me please Tony. Rest in peace. God bless." Referring obviously to Rob Gretton (New Order/Joy Division manager - died in 1999, aged 46), Ian Curtis (not even 24 when he died. Shít. Nearly five and a half years younger than me - a baby) and Martin Hannett (genius producer - most notably of Joy Division's Unknown Pleasures and the Mondays' Bummed. Died the month before his 43rd birthday in 1991.)
    Talk about gone too soon.
    I'm definitely gonna nip up to Tower Records and buy me a copy of 24 Hour Party People once and for all.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 2,986 ✭✭✭philstar

dave fanning had a special on him today, he was close friends with sean boylan of all people...

listen to it here........

http://www.rte.ie/radio1/drivetimewithdave/1104113.html

philstar wrote:
    dave fanning had a special on him today, he was close friends with sean boylan of all people...

listen to it here........

http://www.rte.ie/radio1/drivetimewithdave/1104113.html

Listening to it now.....cheers for the linkage

I googled Sean Boylan and got former Meath manager. Is that the guy Tony Wilson was mates with??? (Couldn't access the audio on RTE).
    Edit: the very man. Apparently he was at Tony's bedside when he passed away.

• Registered Users Posts: 864 ✭✭✭Unshelved

I was listening to this interview last night and it seemed just the most incongruous thing - the former Meath Manager and Mr. Manchester being almost like brothers. It was funny somehow when Boylan said that Dunboyne was Wilson's second home - it just seems so unlikely. What an amazing friendship to have lasted such a long time - and it was so touching to hear the emotion in Boylan's voice when he talked about Wilson's son and being there at the end.

Sad to watch "24 Hour Party People" and to think that so many of those characters are now dead - at such young ages (and against all the odds, Shaun Ryder is still alive and kicking).

Bizarre about Sean Boylan all right - not making fun. It's just unusual, pretty cool though.
    Yep, good point about Shaun Ryder. Although, by all accounts, Martin Hannett lived a pretty similar lifestyle. I doubt Rob Gretton did though.

Ian Curtis's horrifically young age really gets to me as I get older. When I first heard of him I was 12. I thought "oh he was a young man, that's sad". But I still thought of him as a fully-grown person who had at least lived some life. Now, at 29, I realise his life had barely started for fck's sake.

I recently read an interview with his widow Deborah. Her and Ian's daughter Natalie is about the same age as I am and her mother just can't get her head around the fact that this young woman - a girl to her - is still a good few years older than her father was when he died. It must be pretty mind-blowing all right.

29, thats getting on in rock and roll terms - Hendrix was 27 and he'd reinvented a musical instrument!

Mike.

• Registered Users Posts: 18,625 ✭✭✭✭BaZmO*

Sad news indeed.

I first came across Wilson in a clip of him giving an interview at a press conference in the Happy Mondays' "Call The Cops" DVD. (I was a big Happy Mondays fan back in the day). Hadn't a clue who he was but was amused to see him telling everybody, in not so many words, that Shaun Ryder was essentially the second coming. :D

But my over-riding memory of him was in a Reality TV show that ITV (or maybe Channel 4?) done a few years ago. The show featured "celebrities" trying out various New Age type treatments. The one with Wilson featured himself, Jo Guest and some Indian/English actress trying some mind altering substance which was supposed to unlock some deep bottled up emotions which would then purge one's self of inner demons. :rolleyes:

The setting for the show was in some Amazonian village and it was quite dark when the local Shamen administered each of the participants with their dose of the extremely potent hallucinogen.

It was hilarious to see the two women go absolutely radio rental as they thought their worlds were coming to an end. Meanwhile, Wilson with iPod in one hand and a bottle of wine in the other looks to the camera and says, "I'm off to my hut to chill out and listen to some music" :D :cool:

RIP

mike65 wrote:
    29, thats getting on in rock and roll terms - Hendrix was 27 and he'd reinvented a musical instrument!

Mike.
    "65" - Hmmm, 42 eh? Aw bless. It's great when they oldies still think like youngsters. Good for you, Mikey! ;)

• Advertisement

re 65 Heh!

BaZmO* was that the Jo Guest? ;)

Mike.

• Registered Users Posts: 18,625 ✭✭✭✭BaZmO*

mike65 wrote:
    re 65 Heh!

BaZmO* was that the Jo Guest? ;)

Mike.
    Eh yeah. Am I missing something? :confused:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,082 ✭✭✭lostexpectation

listened to viva hacienda (3 disc cd) today in memorium, brilliant some classic early house and electronic music on it.

• Registered Users Posts: 316 ✭✭RastaRed

Crazy guy with a great ear for music, will be sorely missed
    24th party people going on again tonight in memory of a great man

Cheers Tony

• Closed Accounts Posts: 27,252 ✭✭✭✭stovelid

Advertisement