Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

How to determine what mobile provider a person is on??

Options
  • 10-08-2007 9:22pm
    Registered Users Posts: 330 ✭✭

Right, I am on Vodafone with an 087 number. When I ring my mate who is on O2, but has an 087 number, it 'bleeps' to let me know he's now on a different network - which is great.

But for the purposes of minimising my call costs, it would be great to be able to figure out what network a person is on before ringing them, because for the likes of, say, a person with an 085 number who is actually on the Vodafone network, I wouldnt know - and might be discouraged from calling them, or staying on the phone too long - ( I have one of those bundles with loads of minutes but its only Vodafone - Vodafone...)

Is there any 'code' or number of some sort you can ring or put in to determine which network a number is *actually* on - without depending solely on the fact that most peoples numbers match their network 086/086/083/085 :confused:

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 625 ✭✭✭E. Fudd

To be honest, I don't think it is possible.
    But..... don't all networks beep when the prefix doesn't match the service provider?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,390 ✭✭✭Stench Blossoms

Theres a number you can text a mobile number to and it will reply saying if its Meteor or not.

Not sure what the number is though.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 716 ✭✭✭JohnnieM

deepspeed wrote:
    But for the purposes of minimising my call costs, it would be great to be able to figure out what network a person is on before ringing them, :

Not sure which bundle your on wheather its a tailored taffiff or plain bundle.. but with the bundles it dosn't matter .. once you ring a different network its the same price..

• Registered Users Posts: 330 ✭✭nazoil

no easy way. I looked for solution myself.

1. Ring the person's mail box number and determine if there is a generic answer. Each network will be different

2 Get yourself a speak easy card and call each number - the network will show in your call list in myo2

3 ask your buddies what network they're on

• Registered Users Posts: 344 ✭✭dmn

orla wrote:
    Theres a number you can text a mobile number to and it will reply saying if its Meteor or not.

Not sure what the number is though.

If you're on meteor you simply send the number you want to check e.g. 087 1234567 to 50004
    not to be confused with the 50001 call me service number:D

• Advertisement
Advertisement