Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

GF7950Gt

Options
  • 10-08-2007 9:35pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 1

Is the GF7950Gt capaple with a Dell E520? Is the psu wattage enough to handle this card? Are the connections suitable with this card?
    (sorry I'm a complete newbie when it comes to upgrading computers! :D )

Can someone recomend a card if the GF7950GT is not suitable.
    I have a budget of 150 to €200 and it have to be vista capaple!
    I want to be able to play games like oblivion and Battlefield 2042 ect with decent ghraphics!

thanks in advance!! :o

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,757 ✭✭✭8T8

It has a 305W PSU which is not a lot and the 7950GT is beyond it (some of the E520's come with the PCI-e power connector for graphics cards but others don't, only way to know it to open up and take a look inside).

Generally 3 options all should allow you to play the games you mention with better graphics so the cheapest 8600GT may be sufficient;

8600GT - no need to change PSU and small card so no space problems.
    This overclocked out of the box 8600GT with 512MB of RAM should do nicely though if there is no space for a double slot cooler (something else is in the slots beneath the PCI-e graphics slot) then this 8600GT with a single slot would be better.

On the higher end of the spectrum and perhaps just about capable with your PSU if it has the PCI-e power connector the 8600GTS or X1950Pro are the best two options with the X1950Pro being the fastest but uses a small bit more power your really on the line with this one though the X1950Pro can be gotten really cheap with enough left over for a new PSU.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,807 ✭✭✭chump

I'm surprised 8T8 :)

OP if you read dellcommunity forums you will see that the e520 psu can play cards quite a bit higher than what it is rated. Someone even modded the e520 and used an 8800gts with stock psu.

In general you need
    1. to find a single slot gpu
    2. get yourself set up for a pci-e power connector.

for 1. I would recommend the x1950pro
    for 2. go to http://www.performance-pcs.com/catalog/index.php?main_page=product_info&products_id=20580
    and get 2 of those sata to molex converters (have bought from site, shipping inexpensive - very quick).
    And then depending on the card it may/may not come with a 2molex to pci-e power connector, or else buy (in which case you'll only need 1 of the adapters above)
    http://www.performance-pcs.com/catalog/index.php?main_page=product_info&products_id=3579
    cheaper one on dabs like what *might* come bundled with a gfx card (http://www.dabs.ie/productview.aspx?Quicklinx=4JY0&SearchType=1&CategorySelectedId=11018&SearchTerms=pci+express&PageMode=3&SearchKey=All&SearchMode=All&NavigationKey=11018#findsimilar) out of stock tho

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,757 ✭✭✭8T8

Still I'd be a little cautious as I did Google the E520 on this topic generally all were cautious about the GPU with the stock PSU.

There was even a thread about modding the case to make an 8800 card fit so better to err on the side of caution.

Advertisement