Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Dogs running off

Options
  • 10-08-2007 10:09pm
    Registered Users Posts: 4,143 ✭✭✭

I'm having loads of problems with my Jack Russell. Basically, My dog keeps running off every chance he has to escape. Due to this he got knocked down christmas eve. After that happening, I got him nuetered as the vet recommended. She said, It would stop him wanting him to get out as much. So today, I was washing the floors and I opened the windows to let it dry and my dog hopped out the windows. I eventually found him about to cross the road when he nearly got knocked down again. He was about 2ft away from the car. I'm really getting tired of chasing him. It happens every too often( he ran off one time and was lost for 5 days ). I bring him on walks everyday. You would think he would learn his lesson after getting knocked down and lost for 5 days already wouldnt you.

Has anyone else have the same problems?

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 30,731 ✭✭✭✭princess-lala

my dogs used to when we first moved but dont do it anymore!! (we moved to the country)
    i do know there is a thing you can buy that you put around the boundary of your home and he cant go out, its kinda like an electric fence. he gets a little shock if he passes it!! im sure your vet would be able to tell you where to get this.
    i have heard they are brilliant!!

• Registered Users Posts: 17,819 ✭✭✭✭peasant

three magic words (repeat after me:D )

inside, fence, lead

ommmmmmmmmm :cool:

BTW: he wasn't "lost" for five days ...he was having FUN!
    T'was YOU that lost him

• Closed Accounts Posts: 488 ✭✭SuzyS1972

Oh spent ages typing a post and lost it !

What I was trying to say is I have 3 terriers who possibly * would * try to go out an open front door if they got the chance but I manage them always to ensure all doors are closed - gates etc.

My dogs are all trained to " down " when asked so that if they did get out or if there is pending danger - say out on a walk then they do as they are asked and I can retrieve them quickly.

I would suggest you enrol in some decent obedience classes.

If you are in Dublin - try www.dogtrainingireland.ie - or I also know of some good classes starting in Swords in 2 weeks time.

To be honest it sounds to me like the dog has no boundaries - taking off by himself is just out of the question.

You are so lucky he was not picked up by the dog warden and destroyed when he went missing.

Dogs don't think like us so when he is hoping to jump out an open window beleive you me he isn't thinking " oh I got knocked down last time " :p

• Closed Accounts Posts: 488 ✭✭SuzyS1972

IMO electric fences are a lazy way out of spending any time training a dog.

Maybe I am just sad but I enjoy working with my dogs and seeing the improvements in them and also seeing that they are enjoying it too. I would hate my dogs to only behave themselves out of fear of punishment.

A good secure run and basic manners work just as well.

• Registered Users Posts: 17,819 ✭✭✭✭peasant

Training is all well and good (and necessary), but no amount of training will stop a dog from chasing after something if the urge is only strong enough.

Especially so if you're nowhere near or otherwise busy and don't see it happening.

For around the house (where a dog isn't watched constantly) there is no better solution than a proper, secure fence and gate.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 128 ✭✭andrawolf

I had a jack russell that done that all the time. Hit by a car a couple of times too. neuture.( am a bad speller) I would say it is a dog. it is going out after bitches. My boy lived till he was 16. I miss him every day:(

• Registered Users Posts: 5,132 ✭✭✭Sigma Force

In fairness the dog jumped out the window. Some dogs are just terrible houdinis no matter how careful an owner is. I think the best thing to do is contact a good dog trainer that uses humane methods of training. Perhaps they can figure out why the dog is trying to run off and then begin to help you soved the problem.

If possible find out how high the dog can jump to escape and put a higher fence up front and back with a gate that locks so no one can walk in and leave gate open.

Also make sure your pooch has a tag (he may do already) go-tags is a good site just in case he makes a run for it again. But go for the dog trainer is best they can see first hand the problems and help you solve them. There is a list of trainers on irishanimals.ie

Advertisement