Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Broadband Advice?

Options
  • 10-08-2007 10:11pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 18

Hey,

Im hoping to get in broadand soon for downloading music and torrents. Id be looking for 2MB + speeds, With at least a 20GB monthly download limit.

Can anyone recommend a good deal with a reliable company?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 4,491 ✭✭✭sioda

One word Smart 2 mb not a problem and no cap

• Closed Accounts Posts: 18,163 ✭✭✭✭Liam Byrne

sioda wrote:
    One word Smart 2 mb not a problem and no cap
    Seconded, thirded and fourthed from here.....no contest.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,173 ✭✭✭1huge1

Well if your in the city you could check out digiweb metro

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,348 ✭✭✭ricey

digiweb sucks big time.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,013 ✭✭✭yayamark

i've chorus who were horrendus at the start a year ago, but i cannot fault the bb service i'm getting now.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 141 ✭✭ramtha

my last eircom bill was 173 for 2 months.i can live without the phone.what do other companies charge and are they likely to be very reliable?

Well anybody's better than eircom thats for sure

• Registered Users Posts: 1,939 ✭✭✭wingnut

Digiweb metro for the last year. Cheapest around no problems with the service at all. Have my phone connected to the thompson modem and not paying a penny for line rental to Eircom!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,348 ✭✭✭ricey

digiweb is not the cheapest you mad man lol

chorus is the best!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 18,163 ✭✭✭✭Liam Byrne

ramtha wrote:
    my last eircom bill was 173 for 2 months.i can live without the phone.what do other companies charge and are they likely to be very reliable?

My last bill from Smart was €46, including lots of daytime phonecalls to clients in Dublin, Cavan and Cork.....

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 51,239 ✭✭✭✭bazz26

Try www.icebroadband.com and www.o2.ie for wireless broadband. No land line needed.

Well another one to look out for on the wireless front is three www.three.ie
    Like the O2 package you just plug it into your laptop and away you go, one thing though is that it gets a bit slow in dublin but its perfect in limerick and in the rest of the country
    same speed as the O2 one but cheaper and all

• Registered Users Posts: 6,393 ✭✭✭jonski

And here is where I get banned from Boards.ie ( not just the limerick section ) , and shunned by all on the interwebbythingie .

I have been with Eircom now for about 3 years and wild horses wouldn't drag me away from them . I am on-line mostly to play games and I find Eircoms pings to be low and extremely stable . It costs me €110 for 2 months with one of their package thingyie's and until some other company can Guarantee me the same for less or until I have a problem with Eircom that they can't / won't solve then I am staying put .

• Registered Users Posts: 4,848 ✭✭✭Poxyshamrock

Yeah I'm with Eircom since 2005 and have practically no problems. The speed where I am is good and if anything goes wrong you know you always have a reliable well-established company with a massive call centre to help you out.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,939 ✭✭✭wingnut

ricey wrote:
    digiweb is not the cheapest you mad man lol

chorus is the best!

Ok where are you getting broadband + phone for a total of €239.43 for the year including VAT and Installation???? because thats what I paid. Thats €19 Euro a month. Last time I looked Chrous was €45 for TV + BB. I have a 061 landline for recieving calls and use Voipbuster for free local / national Voip calls. Also ricey would you mind qualifying your statement that Digiweb sucks? Did you have the service? I'm betting not.

Got a chorus flyer in the other day they are at that scam where they say BB for €9.99 a month compared to eircoms €24.99 a month. In the small print then its for the first three months. O2 / 3 / Voda at the same thing. I think its very misleading and a company like that wouldn't get my business.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Education Moderators Posts: 27,196 CMod ✭✭✭✭spurious

If you're on a Smart enabled exchange, get them.
    Faster, cheaper and no caps.

• Registered Users Posts: 55,514 ✭✭✭✭Mr E

I have to pipe up for Eircom too. Been with them nearly a year now, and no problems at all.

I make about 30c of calls a month (so my broadband is really €55.30 a month with redundant line rental), but thats my only complaint.

wingnut wrote:
    Ok where are you getting broadband + phone for a total of €239.43 for the year including VAT and Installation???? because thats what I paid. Thats €19 Euro a month. Last time I looked Chrous was €45 for TV + BB. I have a 061 landline for recieving calls and use Voipbuster for free local / national Voip calls. Also ricey would you mind qualifying your statement that Digiweb sucks? Did you have the service? I'm betting not.

Got a chorus flyer in the other day they are at that scam where they say BB for €9.99 a month compared to eircoms €24.99 a month. In the small print then its for the first three months. O2 / 3 / Voda at the same thing. I think its very misleading and a company like that wouldn't get my business.

O2 and Vodafone are but three are not, after the 3 months O2 and vodafone then charge €30 a month while 3 still charge €19 a month

I do agree with you though that digiweb are the best option.

Eircom are reliable if you have the money which I'd never give them een if I had.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,871 ✭✭✭Karmafaerie

wingnut wrote:

Chorus currently offer a number of packages, and because of it's three brand system, the offers get better the more services you get from them ie: TV and Telephone.

Just the basic internet comes in 1/2/3/6mb options.

1mb = €19.99
    2mb = €24.99
    3mb = €29.99
    6mb = €39.99

(per month)

What you have to understand as well though, is that there really is no "Chorus" anymore.
    Both NTL and Chorus were bought by UPC last year, and are about to be re branded under the one name (UPC Ireland probably).

UPC have a massive reputation in Europe, and their parent company in America, Liberty Global, have a massive reputation over there.

Once Chorus and NTL become UPC then we'll all notice a massive change in the quality of the products and service.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 80 ✭✭jimbozo

Another vote for smart phone and broadband package. Great value.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 6,393 ✭✭✭jonski

Once Chorus and NTL become UPC then we'll all notice a massive change in the quality of the products and service.

I have always had a good service from Chorus ( my god , two post in the one thread that could have me ostracised ) and would seriously consider them for BB but I keep thinking a: my Eircom is going great and b: what if there was a Chorus outage , atm I can watch tv or go on the web , if I got everything from Chorus and it went out then god forbid , I would have to interact with my family or worse still ...do something ..work like ...... nah , two eggs , two baskets .

• Registered Users Posts: 95 ✭✭Pure Mule

BT 90euro for two months, 1 MB broadband, line rental & free calls to Ireland & the UK included

• Registered Users Posts: 3,379 ✭✭✭peckerhead

Me too. And they don't charge if you exceed your cap. Main reason I've stuck with them, tbh...

• Registered Users Posts: 2,413 ✭✭✭Stab*City

Chorus currently offer a number of packages, and because of it's three brand system, the offers get better the more services you get from them ie: TV and Telephone.

Just the basic internet comes in 1/2/3/6mb options.

1mb = €19.99
    2mb = €24.99
    3mb = €29.99
    6mb = €39.99

(per month)

What you have to understand as well though, is that there really is no "Chorus" anymore.
    Both NTL and Chorus were bought by UPC last year, and are about to be re branded under the one name (UPC Ireland probably).

UPC have a massive reputation in Europe, and their parent company in America, Liberty Global, have a massive reputation over there.

i have 6mb chorus and cant really find a fault with it.. im sure i have some sort of cap but i d/l all i want without ever having been billed extra..

id go for anyone except eircom..
    rip off merchants

• Registered Users Posts: 45 lebowsky

Smart BB is available from 4 exchanges in Limerick, none north of the river at the mo.:(

• Closed Accounts Posts: 22 Rotafixa

Hi everybody,
    I want to get a broadband connection but i do not need the landline. we have the cable for digital tv and the previous tenants had internet through it. anyway, we don't need the digital tv and it seems that you can get cable internet only by paying digital tv as well. the other option we were considering is digiweb, as we would be sharing the connection in 3.
    hope you can help me!
    love
    Rota

• Registered Users Posts: 4,612 ✭✭✭bullets

Another Happy Smart Customer here. Waiting a year from the time
    I applied for Smart and to when the local exchange went Live but that was
    not smarts fault and stuck with them when Eircom played dirty.

Am well happy. Had some teething problems. My GF works from home so
    is using the phone all the time and my bills are always only around 40-45 Euros.
    there is no download cap! (there was nothing in the fine print when I joined up either
    but that since has changed a little)

At the time of the Smart scare. I had people from Eircom call to my door and
    had reps basically lie to me. Telling me Smart was closing and that I had
    to move back to them etc etc etc. A work m8 who was in work with me at the time,
    had two eircom reps call to the door of the place he was renting/sharing and
    the gave some cock and bull story to one of the girls he was sharing with.

He arrived home only to find that they had bluffed their way and had got the girl
    to sign HIS name on a form for a residential line. He was not happy when he arrived
    home. He brought the form into work and scanned it and it was given to the Garda and
    complained.

The big scandal at the time was that Smart had stopped their residential only package.
    ie people that had the voice Only phone service but NOT the broadband needed
    to find an alternative provider ie move back to eircom.

For the Broadband users the package included voice calls as part the package and
    they were not effected at all.

Eircom did little to tell people this fact and sales reps were sent door to door
    with basically a message saying people needed to move back to eircom.

They also briefly started off messing with peoples lines for a while I had problems
    due to Eircom accidentally on purpose messing up my line. when they should
    not have touched it.

Also I was always ex-directory when I was an eircom customer and when
    I switched over to Smart they then published my name address and no on the phone book.
    which made me mad.

So if I can help it eircom are not getting my business ever again.

~B

• Registered Users Posts: 45 lebowsky

jimbozo wrote: »
    Another vote for smart phone and broadband package. Great value.

Smart are set to roll out their IPTV service (tv over your bb/phone line) in the coming months to existing broadband customers. No pricing details yet.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 51 ✭✭bertisevil

I'd definitely recommend Smart as well, have them in the city centre, no caps, you get the full speed you actually buy and only 40 yoyos a month. Signed up for 4Mb package a few months now, but i'm actually getting 5MBit, (acutally about 540KB/s).
    They even rang me about a month ago, to make sure everything was ok, for no other reason than that.

Anyways that's who i'd go with

bert

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,905 ✭✭✭bucks73

Im another Smart customer and like bertisevil I pay for the 4MB package and get 5MB for 40 quid a month. Excellent price and never had a problem unlike with Eircom previously.

Advertisement