Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Broadband Advice?

Options
2»

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8 Patchy

Just a quick comment on this broadband issue..You people talk about 2mb from this provider and 5mb that from this provider,but dont mention there isn't a single person in the city getting internet speeds anywhere near 1mbps nevermind 2 or 5..I have been signed up with eircom homeplus package for the last 5 years and only in the last 2 have i managed to get a decent retention rate speed of 300kbps,which i consider to be the best available from any of the providers mentioned in this post

Patchy

EDIT : Sorry to bertisevil who actually did mention actual internet speed compared to 1mb this and 2mb that

• Registered Users Posts: 7,468 ✭✭✭highlydebased

Anyone know if smart will be providing service on the Caherdavin exchange anytime soon? I'd much rather use them over Eircom....speeds are often terrible on 2mb eircom

• Registered Users Posts: 6,173 ✭✭✭1huge1

Patchy: From my experience what Digiweb metro offers digiweb metro gives.
    Very reliable service.

• Registered Users Posts: 51,239 ✭✭✭✭bazz26

You can actually test your bb speed here: http://www.irishisptest.com/runmyspeed.php

• Registered Users Posts: 45 lebowsky

Anyone know if smart will be providing service on the Caherdavin exchange anytime soon? I'd much rather use them over Eircom....speeds are often terrible on 2mb eircom

It apparently costs 250,000 + for another provider to move into an exchange including equipment etc. Originaly I believe there was a problem getting Caherdavin hooked up to the fibre ring around Limerick.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 919 ✭✭✭jbkenn

lebowsky wrote: »
    It apparently costs 250,000 + for another provider to move into an exchange including equipment etc. Originaly I believe there was a problem getting Caherdavin hooked up to the fibre ring around Limerick.

Smart have no plans LLU any further exchanges in Ireland

Eircom do not use any of the MAN's, believing them to be an unnecessary duplication of their infastructure

jbkenn

• Closed Accounts Posts: 51 ✭✭bertisevil

Patchy wrote: »
    Just a quick comment on this broadband issue..You people talk about 2mb from this provider and 5mb that from this provider,but dont mention there isn't a single person in the city getting internet speeds anywhere near 1mbps nevermind 2 or 5..I have been signed up with eircom homeplus package for the last 5 years and only in the last 2 have i managed to get a decent retention rate speed of 300kbps,which i consider to be the best available from any of the providers mentioned in this post

Patchy

EDIT : Sorry to bertisevil who actually did mention actual internet speed compared to 1mb this and 2mb that

Sorry Patchy should have been clearer I guess, I'm on the 4mbit package, but I get sustained speeds of 500KB/s download (Irish servers, dutch server, and Swedish servers tested) also about 32KB/s upload (equating to ~378kb/s)

I'm near the dock road (Limerick) if that's any help

• Registered Users Posts: 1,229 ✭✭✭Wetbench4

Patchy

I think you might be mixing up your megabits with your megabytes

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,115 ✭✭✭Pacifico

Patchy

What are you on about?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 51 ✭✭bertisevil

Think he's on about people paying for 2MBit n 3 and only getting about 1, never had that issue myself but it I did i'd be switching providers real quick

• Advertisement
Advertisement