Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

headin to japan......

Options
  • 10-08-2007 11:02pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 1,347 ✭✭✭

Folks,

I might be heading off to the land of the rising sun for 2 years, would I be exempt from the nasty vrt if i ship a car (or two;) ) back home?

seen a 02 skyline (albeit a 4 door) for 6 grand.

so many cars over there.......

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 18,484 ✭✭✭✭Stephen

Yeah you would. Make sure you own the car in Japan for at least 6 months (if you have to pay local motor taxes) before bringing it home, or they'll sting you for VRT. Owning it for 12+ months will probably get you less hassle.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,776 ✭✭✭✭galwaytt

Just remember though, if you let your insurance lapse here for 2 years, you'll lose all you NCB.

So you'll have cool car from Japan, but won't be able to insure it.

Tip. insure the smallest jalopy you can while you're away..........anyone got a 600cc Daihatsu handy...?

Ode To The Motorist

“And my existence, while grotesque and incomprehensible to you, generates funds to the exchequer. You don't want to acknowledge that as truth because, deep down in places you don't talk about at the Green Party, you want me on that road, you need me on that road. We use words like freedom, enjoyment, sport and community. We use these words as the backbone of a life spent instilling those values in our families and loved ones. You use them as a punch line. I have neither the time nor the inclination to explain myself to a man who rises and sleeps under the tax revenue and the very freedom to spend it that I provide, and then questions the manner in which I provide it. I would rather you just said "thank you" and went on your way. Otherwise I suggest you pick up a bus pass and get the ********* ********* off the road” 

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,245 ✭✭✭drdre

galwaytt wrote:
    Just remember though, if you let your insurance lapse here for 2 years, you'll lose all you NCB.

So you'll have cool car from Japan, but won't be able to insure it.

Tip. insure the smallest jalopy you can while you're away..........anyone got a 600cc Daihatsu handy...?

Thats a good idea :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,347 ✭✭✭legs11

I got 4 yrs NCB here, how could i lose ALL that if i go away for a few years, that bs.....

I have the letter from britton stating my ncb,I Cancelled my insurance last march when i sold my last bmw.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,379 ✭✭✭DublinDilbert

legs11 wrote:
    I got 4 yrs NCB here, how could i lose ALL that if i go away for a few years, that bs.....

I have the letter from britton stating my ncb,I Cancelled my insurance last march when i sold my last bmw.

I would take the others advice if i was you, insure any car and park it in a drive way ect... it might cost you €300/year but it will be well worth it...

If you let your policy lapse for more than 2 years they will throw away your now claims bonus, this happened to me, and there's now way around it... :mad:

I was in canada for 4 years, had car insurance there for all of the time i was there, yet when i came home i had no NCB.... had to start all over again i was very pissed off as the insurance companies make up the rules here as they go along.... :mad:

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 1,347 ✭✭✭legs11

well fook that, i will pobably end up workin in england anyway, does the uk accept your ncb letter (from years previously.?)

thats shocking, letting all your ncb go, its obvious you are a competent driver and now this? no wonder our county is screwed.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,776 ✭✭✭✭galwaytt

believe me when I tell you: I am not making it up. Your NCB is only good for two years, un-renewed.........

My wife lost 16yrs of NCB on this, so I know of what I speak..........

Ode To The Motorist

“And my existence, while grotesque and incomprehensible to you, generates funds to the exchequer. You don't want to acknowledge that as truth because, deep down in places you don't talk about at the Green Party, you want me on that road, you need me on that road. We use words like freedom, enjoyment, sport and community. We use these words as the backbone of a life spent instilling those values in our families and loved ones. You use them as a punch line. I have neither the time nor the inclination to explain myself to a man who rises and sleeps under the tax revenue and the very freedom to spend it that I provide, and then questions the manner in which I provide it. I would rather you just said "thank you" and went on your way. Otherwise I suggest you pick up a bus pass and get the ********* ********* off the road” 

Advertisement