Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Eircom or BT?

Options
  • 10-08-2007 11:04pm
    Registered Users Posts: 6,423 ✭✭✭

Hi everyone

Gonna be moving into our new apartment soon and the only options that we have for phone line and broadband are Eircom and BT.

BT seems to be a bit cheaper but would it be better to go with Eircom?

We'd be going for the top pack - 3mb with 30gb d/L limit.

Thanks!

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 7,042 ✭✭✭kaizersoze

If you're going for the 3 meg package there is a big price difference between BT and Eircom.
    BT (incl. line rental) = E56 p/m.
    Eircom (incl. line rental) = E73.76 p/m

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,806 ✭✭✭i71jskz5xu42pb

Go with BT - they are tops for the personal touch. I have not been a customer for years but they stay in touch. Just today for example -

f9c400151878094410d1.png

The serious point here being that the billing department in BTIreland could not find their ass with both hands. Check some of the other threads for more on this.

• Registered Users Posts: 120 ✭✭Attreu

BT all the way.

Using them currently. Have had no problems so far.

Had a nightmare trying to switch to eircom, but BT had me up and running in 10 days.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 25,234 ✭✭✭✭Sponge Bob

BT are the best value calls bundles too if you add a call bundle to BB and Line rental .

My oul dear has had them for years with no billing issues . BT Billing issues tend to either happen on the first 2 months ( and then on and on and on 4Eva) or not at all .

Tip when you sign up is to log back in after completing the order and receiving the email confirming the order is pipelined.

Select online billing even if ticked ( untick and retick) in order to avail of the €2.50 a month online billing discount to get the really cheap price.

The online bill is a Gif but you also get a spreadsheet of all your calls and they retain it for a year online. Most useful .

• Registered Users Posts: 4,241 ✭✭✭god's toy

Yea went to BT and would never go back.

Only thing is it is said that Eircon put Eircon costumers first...

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 12,089 ✭✭✭✭P. Breathnach

god's toy wrote:
    Only thing is it is said that Eircon put Eircon costumers first...

They are not supposed to do that: they should provide the same service to other sellers as they do to their own retail division.

My own experience, however, suggests to me that god's toy is right.

• Registered Users, Subscribers Posts: 47,305 ✭✭✭✭Zaph

My sister is a Perlico customer and has sent a complaint to Comreg because of Eircom's failure to deal with issues relating to non-Eircom customers, in her case her phone line has been down for eight or nine weeks.

Have BT broadband myself and never have had the billing problems other people keep mentioning. Have found it to be pretty quick and very stable, I haven't had a single day out of action in the 3 years I've had it. Their customer support were very helpful on the couple of occasions I've had to call them.

• Registered Users Posts: 833 ✭✭✭batman2000

BT have the worst tech support anf customer care ever.....

• Registered Users Posts: 12,089 ✭✭✭✭P. Breathnach

batman2000 wrote:
    BT have the worst tech support anf customer care ever.....

That's easy to say. Why do you say it?

My experience is that customer care is generally okay, and that tech support is a bit mixed: it varies with the agent who gets your call.

It looks to me, as a user, as if tech support requires a lot of skill. It's not just a matter of knowing the technology, but dealing with people who range between utterly clueless and technically savvy, and also dealing with people who are frustrated or annoyed.

• Registered Users Posts: 833 ✭✭✭batman2000

Cause I used to be BT customer. Their bills would arrive/publish late and still debit my bank account. I was typically on hold for over 30mins to get through to customer care. When the automated asked to leave a number and get a call back, they didn't. When I had a tech poroblem the same waiting always, always over 30mins. Then they would say, ''have you restarted your PC'' or ''re-started you router''. If you, have they say do it again. Then they run out of ideas. They go on about swapping ADSL filters when it was working fine 2 hrs ago. Typically it's a server issue/line issue. Especailly if the DSL is blinking. If the DSL is blinking/off then the Internet LED is typically off too, as the DSL is not syncing. They should be able to debug that from their end.

Tech supports required knowledge, these people are just thrown into the job with a list of commonly asked questions in front of them. I know, been there summer job during college, luckily I knew at least something. BT dont care about their customer base. When trying to cancel, (out of contract) they kept ignoring my emails/calls. Thankfully when the broadband portal (similar to the phone service portal) BT didn't have a leg to stand on, so I moved to Imagine.

My friend moved to Eircom because they have a better reputation and there are not many complaints on boards about them. Unfortunaltey he experienced some dodgy support (but better) from Eircom too, but at least they answer the phone more quickly and answer your quieries.

Personally, Imagine have never let me down with either customer care or support. Plus Imagine are cheaper than Eircom.
    Eircom 1Mb €24.99, 2Mb €29.99. Imagine: 1Mb €9.99, 2Mb €19.99.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Regional North West Moderators Posts: 19,120 Mod ✭✭✭✭byte
    byte

batman2000 wrote:
    Eircom 1Mb €24.99, 2Mb €29.99. Imagine: 1Mb €9.99, 2Mb €19.99.

Are those prices correct, or do you only get those prices as part of a bundle?

you must transfer everything to get the cheap dsl

watch out for hidden charges with Imagine !!!! batman forgot to mention that Imagine DO NOT SELL DSL ON ITS own.

Wonder why he made that mistake eh!

• Moderators, Regional North West Moderators Posts: 19,120 Mod ✭✭✭✭byte
    byte

Sponge Bob wrote:
    you must transfer everything to get the cheap dsl

watch out for hidden charges with Imagine !!!! batman forgot to mention that Imagine DO NOT SELL DSL ON ITS own.

Wonder why he made that mistake eh!
    Ah, prices not as clearcut as batman would have us believe then.

we were all discussing bundles and packs as well, funny how he never noticed .

• Registered Users Posts: 2,201 ✭✭✭wba88

BT ftw

Advertisement