Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Transporting pet from states??

Options
  • 10-08-2007 11:09pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 444 ✭✭

Hey all,

Dont know if anyone can help us here, but its worth a shot. My cousin has been living over in the states for the last few years. He has a pit bull over there, now he was suppose to be there for alot lot longer or he wouldnt have got a dog in the first place but anyway due to unforseen circumstances he will be moving home in a few months. Whats the normal steps to bring the dog home with him or is there a courier type company he could use??

Is there anyway of avoiding the 6mts quartntine, say if he has a full vet check the day before he leaves or anything.
    Has anyone heard anything about bringing a dog in through another EU state that would have easier rules then ourselves?? Doubt he could bring it through uk since there banned there, actually is it only in England there banned? what bout wales or scotland?
    Sorry bout all the questions guys its just hes having a pretty bad time over there as it is and he'll be devestated if he has to leave the little fella in quarantine for 6 mts.

thanks in advance guys any help would be great.

Vinnie.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 485 ✭✭macshadow

Just get your pet a passport, simple as that. Get your vet to vaccinate against rabies then six months later you can travel.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,959 ✭✭✭Nala

As far as I know, pit bulls are illegal here.

• Registered Users Posts: 940 ✭✭✭Tabitharose

Nala wrote:
    As far as I know, pit bulls are illegal here.

No they are not - there are no illegal breeds in the Republic of Ireland. :confused: There are Restricted Breeds - which require certain things which non Restricted Breeds do not require - muzzled in public, lead length, etc.

I'd advise posting on

http://petsireland.invisionzone.com/index.php?act=idx

also for details on the different airline carriers and their rules on pet passengers as I know certain airlines don't allow animals (but have no experience of transporting on planes myself)

best of luck :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 444 ✭✭Vinnie K

macshadow wrote:
    Just get your pet a passport, simple as that. Get your vet to vaccinate against rabies then six months later you can travel.

I which it was simple as that,

Thanks tabit, ill try posting there later. He's fairly distressed about the whole situation.

• Registered Users Posts: 940 ✭✭✭Tabitharose

The other place that may be able to advise or tell you where to get the best advice is EGAR - I'll let Sarah know this thread is here & hopefully she'll be able to tell you what you need to know ;)

• Advertisement

Air Lingus do it. Well thats what they told me. I tried to transport 3 small turtles to madrid. Air lingus said that they dont have the facilities to do that, and they only do it from the states anyway.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 444 ✭✭Vinnie K

Ive been going through site after site all day and i cant find an exact answer to this, What is actually involved in Quarantine?

Every time i type/say the word i get a shudder, makes you think of bio-hazard suits and what not.

Do they take your dog and lock him in a cage for 6mths or what, anybody??

Thanks for all the help guys!
    Vinnie.

• Registered Users Posts: 485 ✭✭macshadow

Try this, http://www.movetoireland.com/movepag/petbuild.htm
    It's all there burntcornflake.
    You say your friend is moving to ireland in a few months,how many is a few?
    if not less than six months then get the dog a passport.simple as that.
    Home quarantine requires you to keep your dog on your property for five months without it leaving the property during that time.
    The property has to be set up for this three months in advance of the dogs arrival and has to overseen by a vet.
    Tell your friend to go to his vet in the states and get the dog a passport,this is routine stuff for a vet and avoids the quarantine procedure.
    Hope this helps.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,001 ✭✭✭MaeveD

My brother brought his cat back from Seattle two years ago on the pet passport. As far as I remember she had to have shots six months before she travelled and was microchiped. Their vet in Seattle had to import the microchip as the US versions weren't accepted here at the time.

I picked my bro & co up from the airport and then we picked the cat up more or less straight away from Lissenhall in Swords... no quarantine.

Not sure if dogs are the same though....

Advertisement