Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Cody Rhodes

• 10-08-2007 11:28pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 2,552 ✭✭✭

Anybody else think this kid could have some potential?

one thing i noticed was that he sells exceptionally well

Thoughts?

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,602 ✭✭✭✭ShawnRaven

Thoughts?

I like Cody, unlike Dustin in 91, he's not trying to be Dusty Rhodes Jr, in actual fact, he's doing everything he can not to be. Will be interesting to see how he does for the rest of the year alone.

VR!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,917 ✭✭✭RebelRockChick

I think when he spoke about his father at the HOF this year, it was only a matter of time before he was called up to the main roster. He seems decent enough in the ring so far, hopefully we'll see him in more matches rather than seeing him getting thrown to the side.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 474 ✭✭john concannon

Thoughts?
    Future intercontinental champ at most :cool:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 34,788 ✭✭✭✭krudler

great talker,gave a fantastic induction speech at the HOF

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,045 ✭✭✭Vince135792003

I think he's got alot of potential. His size may hold him back but he can talk, looks like he could be good in the ring given time and carries himself well.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,594 ✭✭✭Fozzy

He's obviously learned a lot off Dusty, I like him, the majority of the fans have taken to him very well and he's definitely got a lot of potential. He's actually very similar to Orton in a lot of ways

• Closed Accounts Posts: 175 ✭✭R.Rated

Yeah hes very similar to Orton, both are athletic and good looking guys that give them a 'superstar' look. As much as i hate this i do believe Cody has to put on a bit more muscle if he wants to be taken seriously as a major player.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,552 ✭✭✭Bobalicious93

i thought that too, he looks a bit too much like a cruiserweight which we know hes not

Thought he had potential ever since his speach for his father at the hall of fame. From that point it was clear he was going to follow in his fathers foot steps, `possibly in the future cutting better promo´s then his father does. He even has that slight lisp.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,064 ✭✭✭Brow

I like him. When I saw OVW footage of him I thought he'd be Orton-esque in size. Then when he debutted against Orton no less there was a big size difference. Needs a bit more muscle but he throws good punches and sells like a hero.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 518 ✭✭✭JeanClaude

R.Rated wrote:
    Yeah hes very similar to Orton, both are athletic and good looking guys that give them a 'superstar' look. As much as i hate this i do believe Cody has to put on a bit more muscle if he wants to be taken seriously as a major player.

Bobalicious93, unfortunately, with the statement highlighted, you have pointed out everything thats wrong with wrestling these days. Why can't Cody become a "major player" without having to resort to steroids? He comes from a wrestling background and is technically very good.

Truthfully Cody is not going to get as muscular as HHH, Batista, Lashley etc. etc.purely by "eating his vitamins, and pumping iron".People blame Vince for putting pressure on talent to "bulk up" but maybe the fans should look no further than themselves, when looking for someone to blame, the next time there is a "steroid related" death.

edit: due to my own ignorance.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,478 ✭✭✭Bubs101

JeanClaude wrote:
    Bobalicious93, unfortunately, with the statement highlighted, you have pointed out everything thats wrong with wrestling these days. Why can't Cody become a "major player" without having to resort to steroids? He comes from a wrestling background and is technically very good.

Quite simply because if smaller wrestlers are to make the jump into main events then cody would be so far down the list he'd never get a chance. Also, he looks scrawny when you compare him to other smaller(and better) wrestlers like Helms. Bobalicious is mos certainly right

Bubs101 wrote:
    Quite simply because if smaller wrestlers are to make the jump into main events then cody would be so far down the list he'd never get a chance. Also, he looks scrawny when you compare him to other smaller(and better) wrestlers like Helms. Bobalicious is mos certainly right

I dunno, they gave Rey Mysterio a run with the belt didn't they?
    After seeing that, Anything is possible!

VR!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,492 ✭✭✭EdK

Both Helms and Mysterio have been implicated in the steroid saga,

Test defends steroids on his myspace, very clever

• Closed Accounts Posts: 21,296 ✭✭✭✭gimmick

Cody is doing okay, but I think he will go the way of Orton and Cena in their early days, of needing a heel turn to sustain any bit of momentum. Cant see him going all the way to the top as he just doesnt have the size.

But wasn't he given the title purely because of Eddie Guerreros death?

The very fact that The 'Great' Khali was given the SD World Title recently shows how much regard WWE have to any actual wrestling ability. He is big and scary, therefore give him the title.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,103 ✭✭✭estebancambias

You mean the CAW right? I don't like him, just because your dad is in the HOF and is a former wrestler does not mean you have the God given right to enter the business. WWE is shockingly guilty of nepotism. Cody get another job.

Good looking? I would not say that. When you look Randy Orton he is not either. I'm no oil painting myself, but really I'm shocked when people are like 'oh my gawd randy is hot'.

gimmick wrote:
    But wasn't he given the title purely because of Eddie Guerreros death?

Reason isn't the issue here. They put Michaels as a main contender for the title in 1995, the year of the big slug! He was tiny by comparison and look how he skyrocketed by the time 1996 rolled around.

Mysterio, regardless of his roids or if Guerrero died. He's still about 4'1! No amount of circumstances will ever change that. He was still pushed

VR!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,594 ✭✭✭Fozzy

You mean the CAW right? I don't like him, just because your dad is in the HOF and is a former wrestler does not mean you have the God given right to enter the business. WWE is shockingly guilty of nepotism. Cody get another job.

Ah come on, Cody's not a bad wrestler. Shawn Spears is generally regarded as the best OVW wrestler at the moment, and they could have brought him up to Raw, but Cody is obviously the better choice at the moment as the fans already have a certain connection to him as they've seen him at the HOF and know his father. Nepotism might very well be the case, but looking at it from a business standpoint it makes perfect sense to push someone who the fans already have some sort of connection with

And Cody's not small, I never really paid attention to his size before but I had a look at him on Raw last night and he's a big guy. He's not as big as the guys Vince usually likes, but that's Vince's opinion and preference and it shouldn't become the fans' by default

I would have thought that someone who uses valid reasoning like yourself would realise they gave it to Mysterio for the same reason that they let Cena keep it for so long. The kids love them

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,616 ✭✭✭8k2q1gfcz9s5d4

JeanClaude wrote:

look at the guys who have been world champ for the last 2 years? they are all huge, and mainly talentless, and thats the bottom line, cos stone cold said so!

• Advertisement

Bubs101 wrote:
    I would have thought that someone who uses valid reasoning like yourself would realise they gave it to Mysterio for the same reason that they let Cena keep it for so long. The kids love them

The kids loved Dusty Rhodes in WWE between 89 and 91 too, but he never got his run.

Nice try though
    VR!

That's probably because in the 18 years since the direction of the company has changed and although I was only 1 at the time, I assume people like Hogan, Flair and the Ultimate Warrior were still more popular.

Bubs101 wrote:
    That's probably because in the 18 years since the direction of the company has changed and although I was only 1 at the time, I assume people like Hogan, Flair and the Ultimate Warrior were still more popular.
    Except Flair wasn't with the company for 89, 90 and most of 91, as for who was more popular. Figure who drew more in the 80s between Rhodes and The Ultimate Warrior.

In Warriors defence (and i was discussing this the other night while watching some Superstars ep's from Summer of 90), that was probably more to do with the fact that there wasn't really anyone for him to feud with. Hogan gets Andre, Bundy, Boss Man and Akeem in the 80s, while Warrior gets midcarder Rude, a hasbeen Slaughter and a past his prime Randy Savage, so unfair comparison really.

VR!

Figure who drew more in the 80s between Rhodes and The Ultimate Warrior.

It never hurts that your the booker for Crokett when making yourself the centre of the promotion like Dusty was back then for a time. I love Dusty but I've heard how he was rammed down peoples throat back then to the point that some people rejected him when he was booker.

I don't think Dusty's position as booker is a critical issue as far as this goes but its relevant all the same.

Except Flair wasn't with the company for 89, 90 and most of 91, as for who was more popular. Figure who drew more in the 80s between Rhodes and The Ultimate Warrior.

In Warriors defence (and i was discussing this the other night while watching some Superstars ep's from Summer of 90), that was probably more to do with the fact that there wasn't really anyone for him to feud with. Hogan gets Andre, Bundy, Boss Man and Akeem in the 80s, while Warrior gets midcarder Rude, a hasbeen Slaughter and a past his prime Randy Savage, so unfair comparison really.

VR!
    I was 1. I think it's a tad unfair to draw examples from when I was as tall as Hornswaggle

Bubs101 wrote:
    I was 1. I think it's a tad unfair to draw examples from when I was as tall as Hornswaggle

Age is no excuse, thats why there's websties and books related to wrestling history. ;)

VR!

I don't think Dusty's position as booker is a critical issue as far as this goes but its relevant all the same.

You have it on the money there, to a point. As i'm going on his time from say 84-88 before he started booking. If i recall correctly, he was booking once he came back to WCW from WWE in 91, him and Bill Watts crippled WCW from 91-94. But when Rhodes came to WWE in 89, he was hot property, despite the degree that Vince tried to bury him.

Although Flair was pretty self centred as a booker too, the second Flair got the book back, he put the belt on himself too. The difference was he was a credible draw even in 94, Dusty booked his son and even his brother in law to the point of overkill... which of course, lead to Shockmaster, and we know how that ended!

VR!

Edit - I am mistaken, it was Dusty who was booking in 88! He tried to push Luger as the next big thing, when Flair refused to put him over and threaten to leave for WWE, Watts fired Dusty and he went for the hills of WWE

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,497 ✭✭✭✭Dragan

JeanClaude wrote:
    Why can't Cody become a "major player" without having to resort to steroids?

And why does anyone need to resort to steroids to add some muscle?

You dont have to use steroids to resort to Muscle, if you had the time and the money you can do it naturally. But thats the problem with the WWE. The wrestlers dont have the time, so they resort to other drugs. Steroids is not an issue in the WWE its the workload.

With reagards Mysterio getting a push , we all know it was because of Eddies´s death, to keep Eddie in a story line and "apparently" this was due to his wifes request. The reason why he held it so long was because he sold a shid load of masks and toys .

• Advertisement

was because he sold a shid load of masks and toys .

Still does. He's bullet proof with kids in a way Cena isn't.

With reagards Mysterio getting a push , we all know it was because of Eddies´s death, to keep Eddie in a story line and "apparently" this was due to his wifes request. The reason why he held it so long was because he sold a shid load of masks and toys .

I don't buy that, he sold loads BEFORE he won the belt, and as Vince135792003 has said, he still does.

And again, Eddie's death isn't a consideration for discussion. The fact is they put it on a smaller guy, regardless of the reason. If they can do it once, they could do it again... IF they wanted to.

VR!

I think Dre's point is valid when bringing up Eddie.

He did sell loads but he was never gonna be in the position he was put in until after Eddie died. I would have been all for giving him a run regardless but he was basically portrayed as the reincarnation of Eddie throughout his run which made it really hard to sit through at times.

To a degree, it almost doesn't matter where Mysterio is on the card. Kids will always love him and be into him. Plus, his size is kinda positive in that he comes across more vulnerable which I think is part of his appeal for kids.

He did sell loads but he was never gonna be in the position he was put in until after Eddie died. I would have been all for giving him a run regardless but he was basically portrayed as the reincarnation of Eddie throughout his run which made it really hard to sit through at times.

Round and round and round.
    Guys, i agree 110% that Rey was given the run because of Eddie, what i'm trying to say is that they gave a smaller guy a run with the belt, and it worked, and it happened before that too. Michaels was considered a small guy for his time in 96, hell Bret was considered a small guy for 1992 compared to the likes of Hogan and Warrior.

WWE have given the belt to smaller guys before and made successes out of it. McMahon should consult his book of 1990s successes sometime ;)

VR!

Advertisement