Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Backup dilemna in vista

• 10-08-2007 11:37pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 5,332 ✭✭✭

Hello again ,I've got myself into another pickle.

I'm trying to backup an old external hard drive to my machine ,but vista keeps sayings it's run out of memory.

So logically ,I've decided to do one folder at a time .
    BUT ,it's still happening . 4GB through a 37GB folder ,windows says it's run out of memory . When I choose to skip a folder ,it keeps happening and the copying eventually dies completely.

I've read a couple of remedies ,that says I must close the explorer pane,during copying and this may resolve the issue.

Has anyone come accross this ,I still have 55% memory left during the operation.
    I'm copying from an old 160GB USB2 WD EXTERNAL ,to an internal SATA 500GB.

I'm using the front panel USB ,under the cd drives . (If that makes any difference. I've no free ports at the back:(
    I've never encountered this problem before ,it's kind of odd . There is far too many subfolders for me to pick one by one.

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,174 ✭✭✭mathias

There are patches out now , pre releases from service pack 1 , that address some file copying issues , they might work.

However , using front panel , low powered USB ports with heavy file copying has been known to cause this kind of problem , which is why a PCI USB 2 card is a very good idea ,

If you have one of these disconnect something and connect the external drive to that and see if its any better , the onboard ( by onboard I mean the motherboard connected ) USB slots are shared with too many other resources for heavy data transfer.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,332 ✭✭✭311

Thanks mathias ,I'd no intention on getting a pci-usb card.
    I will now though ,much appreciated :)

I got the new pci-usb card ,good idea :) . But it was still really slow 15/MBs
    I got really annoyed at how slow the transfer speeds where.

After some snooping around I've managed to get something that works for big files.
    Had to run as administrator and with XP compatibility.

http://support.wdc.com/download/index.asp?cxml=n&pid=3&swid=1

It's now taking about 30seconds for a gigabyte ,from my old IDE external usb drive to my internal drive.
    Windows explorer is a joke.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,174 ✭✭✭mathias

Yes the slow file transfer issue in Vista is a known bug , have you applied the Vista performance patch yet ?
    This should help ! It works for me.

Details and links in this thread here ,

http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=2055131985&referrerid=&highlight=vista+reliability

If you can wait till tuesday , rumour has that they will be installed via automatic updates , but you can download both patches now if you like.

I've got the two of them alright ,194 and 979.

I think my problem is that the external WD drive is an old one .
    The seagate ext. drive that I have has no issues at all.

This webpage made sense to me ,considering the trouble i had , http://techxpress.wordpress.com/2007/05/20/vista-slow-file-copydeletemove-a-solution/

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,530 ✭✭✭CptSternn

You also might want to disable RDC (Remote Differential Compression) in Vista and see if that helps any.

Advertisement