Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

Toyota Corolla D-4D

• 11-08-2007 12:14am
    Registered Users Posts: 24

Hi,

I'm thinking of buying a 2005 ish corolla (diesel).
    If anyone ownes one I would like to get some feedback on the diesel model
    and if the 1.4 or the 2.0 engine is best!!

Slan!

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 51,271 ✭✭✭✭bazz26

slash2000 wrote:
    Hi,

I'm thinking of buying a 2005 ish corolla (diesel).
    If anyone ownes one I would like to get some feedback on the diesel model
    and if the 1.4 or the 2.0 engine is best!!

Slan!

I don't own one but did drive a 1.4 D-4D and found it grand.

I think Toyota dropped the 2.0 litre from the Corolla shortly after the 1.4 litre was introduced. 1.4 litre has 90bhp compared to the 2.0 litre's 116bhp. 2.0 litre though would have more torque which is probably better when it comes to diesel.

Which one to go for really depends on your personal circumstances. 1.4 litre is cheaper to tax and insure than 2.0 litre so if you do alot of driving especially on motorways then the 2.0 litre will probably be more suited. If you are doing slightly above average mileage then the 1.4 litre will probably make more sense. Both have good resale value but the demand for 1.4 litre D-4D models usually outstrips supply because of the low running costs.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 73,468 ✭✭✭✭colm_mcm

the 2.0 D-4D in the Corolla usually had 89bhp, although 116BHP Hatchback model was available to order.
    Performance wise, there's little between the two 89bhp engines, the 2.0 having a little more pull but also being noisier.
    I'd go with the 1.4, unless the car is being used for a lot of towing.

2005 models should pretty much all be 1.4

colm_mcm wrote:
    the 2.0 D-4D in the Corolla usually had 89bhp, although 116BHP Hatchback model was available to order.
    Performance wise, there's little between the two 89bhp engines, the 2.0 having a little more pull but also being noisier.
    I'd go with the 1.4, unless the car is being used for a lot of towing.

2005 models should pretty much all be 1.4

Didn't know the 2.0 litre only had 89bhp. :eek:

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 18,632 Mod ✭✭✭✭Kimbot

2.0 didn't come in 89bhp from what i know.

Have a look here.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Toyota_Corolla#Europe_.282002-2007.29

But i do have to say 89bhp and 140 foot pounds of torque is unreal for a 1.4!! especially as its sohc!!

i wouldn't use wikipedia as a source of information! I'm telling you, they were 89bhp. 116bhp was extra. (I remember! I was there!)

it's 89bhp with 215 NM torque, the higher output model was 116 with 250 NM

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 18,632 Mod ✭✭✭✭Kimbot

colm_mcm wrote:
    i wouldn't use wikipedia as a source of information! I'm telling you, they were 89bhp. 116bhp was extra. (I remember! I was there!)

Well i check a good few reliable places and they have the same for european models. Just type in the engine codes from wikepida into google to get the stats!!

try:

www.tte.de
    dieseltuner.co.uk/toyota.html

I remember in 2004 when they facelifted the Corolla and increased the bhp on the estate models from 90 to 116, they replaced the 90bhp 2.0 with the 1.4 and made the 116bhp 2.0 optional on Corolla Hatchbacks.

Also, previous to this, Corolla vans came standard with 90bhp, The 116bhp was available for something small like €200 extra

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,668 ✭✭✭maidhc

jonny24ie wrote:
    Well i check a good few reliable places and they have the same for european models. Just type in the engine codes from wikepida into google to get the stats!!

Colm is right. There was a 90bhp version of the 2.0 d4d sold. I saw it and drove it, and it definitely did exist.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 14,983 ✭✭✭✭tuxy

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 65,611 ✭✭✭✭unkel
    Chauffe, Marcel, chauffe!

The lowest power common rail 2 liter diesel the world will ever see! Anyone ring the guinness book of records? ;)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 38,247 ✭✭✭✭Guy:Incognito

You'd have to feel royally shafted paying 2litre tax & insurance on that, :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 14,983 ✭✭✭✭tuxy

Not really, only €28 more in tax a year then VAGs 90 bhp 1.9 tdi.
    So not bad, just a bit outdated.

the power can be increased easily on these, Toyota will even do it!

unkel wrote:
    The lowest power common rail 2 liter diesel the world will ever see! Anyone ring the guinness book of records? ;)

It IS the 116bhp engine, just detuned so as not to scare Corolla drivers!

Pity because it is the most petrol like of all diesel engines I have ever driven, and even in the Mk1 Avensis it can move on pretty lively... and it revs to about 5.5k

• Closed Accounts Posts: 408 ✭✭Spit62500

colm_mcm wrote:

Colm - have you heard of Toyota Ireland selling one of the performance kits for the 1.4 D4D? Are they expensive? Presumably Toyota honour the original warrenty?

Spit62500 wrote:
    Colm - have you heard of Toyota Ireland selling one of the performance kits for the 1.4 D4D? Are they expensive? Presumably Toyota honour the original warrenty?

I have read somewhere before that the 1.4 D-4D unit is tuned to it's maximum bhp output already and cannot be increased anymore. Don't have any links to it though.

Spit62500 wrote:

The engine is already upgraded from 75bhp, the 1.4 D-4D debuted on the Yaris. They did a number of modifications to bring it up to 90bhp, so there's no more they can do by chipping.
    Toyota honour the original waranty on all the TTE chips, but they're not cheap at over 1200 a pop.

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators Posts: 17,725 Mod ✭✭✭✭Henry Ford III

Of course it's not tuned to it's max. Don't be silly.

to it's safe max. I saw the list of changes they made to the old 75bhp and it's huge! Of course there is more room for more bhp, but I doubt Toyota would be able to warranty it for 3 years.

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators Posts: 17,725 Mod ✭✭✭✭Henry Ford III

Much more like it.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 593 ✭✭✭McSandwich

colm_mcm wrote:
    to it's safe max. I saw the list of changes they made to the old 75bhp and it's huge! Of course there is more room for more bhp, but I doubt Toyota would be able to warranty it for 3 years.

The (expensive!) TTE kit for the 1.4 brings it up to 116PS (from 90PS):

http://www.tte.de/popup/TTE/cm_corolla_E12_performancekit.htm

Would this not be covered by warranty?

McSandwich wrote:
    The (expensive!) TTE kit for the 1.4 brings it up to 116PS (from 90PS):

http://www.tte.de/popup/TTE/cm_corolla_E12_performancekit.htm

Would this not be covered by warranty?

Does that not refer to the 2.0?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 593 ✭✭✭McSandwich

maidhc wrote:
    Does that not refer to the 2.0?

It doesn't mention engine size but that makes sense as the performance kit isn't available for all Corolla versions (I assume this is because they're the ones with the 1.4 engines)

That's for the lower powered 2.0 D-4D. As stated earlier, there is no upgrade from Toyota for the 1.4

• Closed Accounts Posts: 35 Rookie145

bazz26 wrote: »
    I have read somewhere before that the 1.4 D-4D unit is tuned to it's maximum bhp output already and cannot be increased anymore. Don't have any links to it though.

Hi. I Read sometime back that Toyota's 1.4 D4D originated form Peugeot's 1.4 HDi, which does'nt surprise me. especially as Ford use the same unit in their Fiesta 1.4TDCi.

Have you heard of anything simular?

Regards

Rookie145

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,147 ✭✭✭E92

unkel wrote: »

In the Mk3 Mondeo, Ford sold an 89 bhp version of the 2.0 litre TDCi(LX trim only)!

And there was the 90 bhp HDi 2.0 from PSA for a good few years too;)!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,147 ✭✭✭E92

Rookie145 wrote: »
    Hi. I Read sometime back that Toyota's 1.4 D4D originated form Peugeot's 1.4 HDi, which does'nt surprise me. especially as Ford use the same unit in their Fiesta 1.4TDCi.

Regards

Rookie145

Nothing at all to do with the PSA engine. All D-4D engines are 100% Toyota designed! Fords 1.4 TDCi is from PSA though.

(there was a Peugeot 1.9 diesel used in the Corolla for a while, but that is the only time Toyota used a Peugeot engine AFAIK)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,686 ✭✭✭JHMEG

colm_mcm wrote: »
    I once read that the Honda D engines (1.4-1.6 in older Civics) are good in stock form for about 320bhp with forced induction... so I'd say Toyota's diesel, which are traditionally over-built anyway, would be safe for a shed load more than 90bhp. I'd say it's more for driveability that they've kept it so low.

Rookie145 wrote: »

Regards

Rookie145

The 1.4 D-4D block is actually based on the 1.5 VVT-i block that they had in the original Yaris T-Sport. That engine block is amazingly light and durable.
    Nothing to do with PSA.

The only Corolla diesel engine sharing that went on with PSA was the rubbish 1.9 normally aspirated diesel available in the Corolla 00-02 model, this was to tide Toyota over till production of the 2.0 D-4D got up to speed.

Toyota also share engines with PSA in the Aygo/C1/107

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 35 Rookie145

Thanks for that info, you must read up a lot on the subject.

Advertisement