Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Racism in Harry Potter

• 11-08-2007 7:37am
    Closed Accounts Posts: 1,253 ✭✭✭

I havnt read all the books so maybe its part of the overall plot and emancipation redeems it in a later book - but is anyone else disturbed by the racism in the Harry Potter books/movies ? I have just seen the latest movie and was shocked at the house elf character in it. There was a similar character in one (or more) of the previous books.

The use of the small/scruffy/cowering/dodgy house cleaning slave felt uneasily close to charicatures of black American slaves, Victorian images of the dirty, deceitful Irish servant, or Nazi propaganda against Jews or untermensch.

I am no political correctness fanatic (quite the contrary), but find the use of such stereotypes in childrens literature rather odd.

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,243 ✭✭✭zoro

What a ridiculous connection to make...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 48 kashi

What they don't show in the movies, is that in the book, Hermione stands up against the house elves being treated badly. Harry also treats Dobby and Kreacher well. Read the rest of the books. If anything, she shows how this type of attitude is wrong to children, and try not to read into it too much. It's called fiction.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,253 ✭✭✭Sandwich

kashi wrote:
    If anything, she shows how this type of attitude is wrong to children, and try not to read into it too much. It's called fiction.

I wasnt going to advertise for a house elf vacancy myself.;)

Fiction can have a powerful influence, especially for such a widely read series among children. Such small things do colour their view of the world. That JKR put such an element in the books (or the movie makers in the movies) at all, in this day of political correctness really surprises me. 50 or more ago it would have been perfectly normal in similar level (E Blyton say) childrens fiction.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 6,201 ✭✭✭KamiKazi

Sandwich wrote:
    I havnt read all the books so maybe its part of the overall plot and emancipation redeems it in a later book - but is anyone else disturbed by the racism in the Harry Potter books/movies ? I have just seen the latest movie and was shocked at the house elf character in it. There was a similar character in one (or more) of the previous books.

The use of the small/scruffy/cowering/dodgy house cleaning slave felt uneasily close to charicatures of black American slaves, Victorian images of the dirty, deceitful Irish servant, or Nazi propaganda against Jews or untermensch.

I am no political correctness fanatic (quite the contrary), but find the use of such stereotypes in childrens literature rather odd.

over-analyse much?

KamiKazi wrote:
    over-analyse much?
    No. But I do take a critical interest in such strong cultural influences being portayed in mass circulation literature and film aimed at children.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 30,657 Mod ✭✭✭✭Faith

I think you're reading into it too much, tbh. Like kashi said, in the books it's strongly emphasised how important it is to be kind to everyone, even creatures like house-elves. It's clearly demonstrated throughout the books.

**Spoilers below for pretty much all the books**
    • The Malfoys were cruel to Dobby, and he hated and betrayed them.
    • Harry was kind to Dobby and, in return, Dobby adored Harry and was prepared to do anything for him.
    • Sirius hated Kreacher, and was betrayed by him.
    • Harry et al finally treated Kreacher with respect and he loved them for that. He did everything he could to help them after that.
    • Regulus Black turned against Voldemort simply because he didn't like the way Voldemort treated Kreacher.

I'm sure there's many more examples throughout the books.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 21,532 ✭✭✭✭Mushy

SPoiler Ahoy, wil try and put it in darkness just incase

Well there is Nazi-esque propaganda in these books alright. Mainly in the last book where
    Voldemorts followers have infiltrated the Ministry
    . The way everything is, you can make connections with the Nazis. Everything is blown up to inflated proportions. The loudness of the voice, just like the first time they used loudspeakers at Nuremburg Rallies for example. and also the big posters of Volemort hanging around in there, just like the swastikas at aforementioned events.

Now dont get me wrong, I like the books, but it was funny some of the kinda similarities.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,672 ✭✭✭deman

:mad: :mad: :mad:

This thread is absolute nonsense. Political Correctness going crazy again. When will it ever stop?

I'm just waiting for these PC fanatics to say that Snow White was a "White Power" racist and the 7 dwarves should be called "the seven people who are vertically challenged."

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 55,548 ✭✭✭✭Mr E

Oh dear god, someone lock this thread.

JK Rowling is Elfist? :)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 24,276 ✭✭✭✭Sleepy

eh... duh. There wizards' treatment of other magical beings in the books was supposed to show them as discriminating against these other creatures...

Like Faith pointed out, the books quite clearly show that only bad things come out of discrimination. There are morality lessons throughout the books and this is one of them. [spolier]as faith also pointed out, Hermione starts a movement in the books called SPEW to defend house elves rights and it's only when Ron finally demonstrates that he shares her view that house elves are equals that she snogs him![/spoiler]

• Advertisement

Looks like Ive got my answer then :
    1. Racism is clearly meant to be protrayed in the books and movies
    2. In the books at least, it serves to convey a 'racism is for the bad people' idea
    3. In the books at least, a worthwhile subplot/background does deal with correcting the discrimination
    4. The movies (so far anyway), needing to condense the later books significantly, probably dont deal with the resolution, but leave in the characters being maltreated. Leaving some of us with only a partial view of the situation - racism as if it were just incidental backgound colour. An impression probably not made on those familiar with the books and so the full narrative.

(I assure you I am a long way from being politically correct!)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,403 ✭✭✭✭Collie D

In fairness house elves are scum and should be treated like dirt. I beat mine on a regular basis. They also come in useful for testing bath water. Dunk him in there, if he screams, then add more cold water before getting in. *

*May not be true

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,372 ✭✭✭The Bollox

they can also be used to check how agressive sleeping dragons can be when awoken. place the house elf in close proximity to said dragon, get a very long stick and poke the dragon in the eye with it. if the house elf is dead or severly burnt then you know to not wake a sleeping dragon.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,238 ✭✭✭Kwekubo

You obviously haven't read the books. Injustice and discrimination are one of the primary themes of the series, especially Deathly Hallows.

1st Post :
    "I havnt read all the books....."
    Kwekubo wrote:
    You obviously haven't read the books. Injustice and discrimination are one of the primary themes of the series, especially Deathly Hallows.

Kinda obvious all right.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,794 ✭✭✭JC 2K3

Yeah, one of the main themes is anti-racism/discrimination. And Mushy's right. The connection with Nazism and Hitler is apparent. The House Elves are like the slavs in WW2.
    Voldemort underestimated the house elves, and they ended up being pivotal in the war against him - just like the slavs, who Hitler thought were inferior and incabable of beating the Nazis, defeated them in the east.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 411 ✭✭Faerie

I have to say I really don't understand the point of this thread or what exactly is being criticised.
    As a few posters have mentioned racism is a fairly obvious theme in the books. In fact it's one of the main themes!
    All the issues with the house-elves, goblins, giants, centaurs etc and the way they are looked down on by wizards and seen as second-class citizens are examples of racism. And one of the most important issues in the books is the idea of a 'pure-blood' wizard being better than a 'mudblood' - an offensive and racist term for a wizard born in a muggle family.
    There are also some similarities with Nazis, but then surely Voldemort is quite similar to Hitler? He wants a pure race and he hunts down 'undesirables'. Even the fact that he himself is half-muggle - what he hates most in others- is similar to Hitler.
    The point in the books though, is that this is all wrong and the 'good guys' fight this. I've watched interviews with JK Rowling and she has talked about her own morality and opinions and principles finding their way into the books, but that she doesn't set out to teach children a lesson.
    So what exactly is the problem? They are anti-racism books. Do you think that such complicated issues shouldn't be portrayed in childrens' books? If that's the problem, then I disagree with you. I don't think writers should patronise children or ignore issues and it's all written and handled very well.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,794 ✭✭✭JC 2K3

The OP clearly stated they didn't read the books, just saw the film, in which the anti-racism sentiment was not clear.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 849 ✭✭✭WildCardDoW

The book doesn't support racism it condemns it, hence all the "evil" wizards treating Dobby cruel [in the case of the Malfoys] or even Umbridge with the centaurs.

I mean, it's really obvious...

• Registered Users Posts: 59 ✭✭Lorr

Dear God its just a book....

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 950 ✭✭✭EamonnKeane

From Wikipedia:

"The magical negro is typically "in some way outwardly or inwardly disabled, either by discrimination, disability or social constraint," often a janitor or prisoner.[5] He has no past; he simply appears one day to help the white protagonist.[6] He is the black stereotype, "prone to criminality and laziness."[7] To counterbalance this, he has some sort of magical power, "rather vaguely defined but not the sort of thing one typically encounters."[6] He is patient and wise, often dispensing various words of wisdom, and is "closer to the earth."[3]

The magical negro serves as a plot device to help the protagonist get out of trouble, typically through helping the white character recognize his own faults and overcome them.[3] In this way, the magical negro is similar to the Deus ex machina; a simple way for the protagonist to overcome an obstacle almost entirely through outside help. Although he has magical powers, his "magic is ostensibly directed toward helping and enlightening a white male character."[5] It is this feature of the magical negro that some people find most troubling. Although the character seems to be showing African-Americans in a positive light, he is still ultimately subordinate to whites. He is also regarded as an exception, allowing white America to "like individual black people but not black culture."[8]

To save the white protagonist, however, he would do anything, including sacrificing himself, as Sidney Poitier portrays in The Defiant Ones, the prototypical magical negro movie.[3] Note that Poitier's character is also saved by the white protagonist."

Sounds a bit familiar tbh...

Advertisement