Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Will hutch protect Rabbit from a fox?

Options
  • 11-08-2007 9:45am
    Registered Users Posts: 714 ✭✭✭

We are getting a pet rabbit for our family but I am concerned because a neighbourhood fox regularly prowls our garden. The rabbit will live in a good solid hutch. I guess I have a few questions: Will a hutch protect a rabbit from a fox? Will the rabbit suffer from trauma if a fox tries to get into its hutch? Is there any way to dissuade a fox from entering our garden (I think it climbs over the walls from neighbours).

This will be our first family pet and I would like to look after it properly - any advice would be appreciated.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 5,132 ✭✭✭Sigma Force

Most shop bought hutches are not secure enough, we live in the countryside and have no problem with foxes although hutches (when we had rabbits) we inside the actual run which was wired not only on the top but on the bottom too. You could perhaps build a run (with roof covered as well) to place the hutch in, a run you can walk into yourselves. Or buy a small potting shed to put the rabbit in at night. Personally I wouldn't leave a rabbit or guinea pig in a hutch without it being in a secure run. Although my main worry where we are would be more for dogs than foxes.
    If a fox tries to break into the hutch it will frighten the rabbit and the rabbit could die from stress or injuries.
    An alternative would be at night time bringing the rabbit into the house or keeping the rabbit as a house bunny.

The most practical way of housing rabbits outdoors (and I've tried all forms of housing) is a small shed with an attached secure run. The rabbit will also need another rabbit as company but I would spay/neuter (when it's approx 6months old) the new rabbit before getting another one.

If you are good at d.i.y. it can be a lot cheaper to build a run than buying one in the shops. Arogs also do mini sheds which would be great for rabbits, and they also cost the same or less than some hutches on the market.

Advertisement