Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

cat advice

Options
  • 11-08-2007 11:58am
    Closed Accounts Posts: 34

Hellu,

My girlfriends cat is quite sick :(. He has a very sore mouth but he needs to take painkillers so he can eat (we put the antibiotics he needs to take in his food). The problem is trying to get him to take the pain killers. Has anyone got any tips on how to make a cat take his medicine ! He won't take it hidden in food as its too sore for him to eat without first taking the pill :(

Regards,
    Jack

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 390 ✭✭Buttons_sb

I know you said he can eat, but have you tried grating or crushin the tablets into 'tuna with brine' , or you could just leave a little bit of tuna on a saucer with loads of the brine sauce so he can lick the grated tablets from the brine?

• Registered Users Posts: 158 ✭✭gamblor101

I'm robbing a suggestion I saw on another thread about weening kittens which I thought was genius but how about mixing the painkiller in with a bit of food and rub it on his paw and hopefully he will lick it off?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 36,634 ✭✭✭✭Ruu_Old

Is his mouth too sore to open? You will have to just open his mouth and put it in there as far as you can, hold it until they swallow it. It might take you a few attempts. We've done it several times.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8 twinkle99

If all else fails ask the vet can you get the antibiotics in liquid form -- sometimes they are more expensive, but I've always had problems with my cat taking tablets he seemed to see through every trick in the book and we'd bits of the tablets all over the house - eventually we got the stuff in liquid format which we just squirted in his mount easy peasy! Good luck hope the poor kitty feels better soon

• Registered Users Posts: 2,753 ✭✭✭comongethappy

The best way, though a bit of a hassle for both you and the cat, is to open it's mouth, place it in the back of their mouth near their throat, and massage their throat till it's down. Hold them for a couple minutes, but if the cat licks it's lips, it generally means it has gone down.

If you want another option though, you could try ordering pill pockets. See http://www.healthypets.com/catpockets.html . It's a company in the states, but it may help you with your cat if it needs daily mediciation. Never used them myself though, so I'm not sure how well they work.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 383 ✭✭piskins72

i've had same problem with my cat as regards tablets, what i used to do was crush them up and mix with some milk, and then give it to him with a little syringe, u can get them in any chemist, they are for babys, seemed to work with him, u can kinda get it into side of mouth and jst give it gently to the cat.

• Registered Users Posts: 28,572 ✭✭✭✭looksee

I have a frayed stump at the end of my arm from trying all those tricks to get tablets into a cat. At the moment I am giving him antibiotics crushed up in a tiny bit of fresh raw liver (I keep a box of chopped up liver in the freezer and defrost a bit as I need it).

Advertisement