Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

microSD 2GB - problems after 500 MB

• 11-08-2007 12:47pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,820 ✭✭✭

Noticed a strange behaviour on a brand new SanDisk MicroSD 2GB memory. Transferred files to it via bluetooth, but after about 550 MB, it said that operation failed. It is definitely a 2GB flashdisk so is it faulty?

Comments

What phone is it in? Maybe the phone can't handle a memory card of such a high capacity?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,324 ✭✭✭chrislad

Samsungs are notorious for only taking up to 512 cards.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,820 ✭✭✭flodis79

chrislad wrote:
    Samsungs are notorious for only taking up to 512 cards.

It's actually a Nokia 6151. I have read problems with this memory card on Nokia 6131, but not on 6151, according to the Google searches I performed. Could it be that my memory card reader is to blame?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,201 ✭✭✭quintron

whats it formatted to FAT 16, 32 etc? where did u format it? phone or comp or both? if latter which was last?

quintron wrote:
    whats it formatted to FAT 16, 32 etc? where did u format it? phone or comp or both? if latter which was last?

FAT, guess it's FAT 16. Then I did a format in the phone as well, and that was the most recent one.

• Advertisement

backup all your data on the card. then try formatting it (full proper format - not quick format) on comp only, then do a test transfer of 1 x 500mb+ file (like a divx movie or something zipped to a total of over 500mb) . If it doesn't let you move data straight away could have problems with either reader or card.

I could fill up the card with 4x movies etc, large files all of them, but when I tried with many small files, it stopped and complained over I/O error, that the disk was damaged, etc. I guess it's the card reader, and I have ordered a new one.

Isn't it better to format the card in the phone, so the phone itself will be happy with it?

What disk system is in use in Nokia phones? I guess it's not FAT or FAT 32? Maybe the RAW file format used on CD's?

have u tried connecting the phone (with memory card in it) via usb etc to the computer? that will tell you if the card reader is screwed. is reader old? also it could be one of your small files (read-only etc) causing the impasse.
    formating the card in the phone v's pc is moot if they format the same way.. just make sure it doesn't try to format as NTFS or something.. though this is a bit of a grey area for me tbh.. i don't know what std formatting options are in vista for example..
    older Nokias use FAT16 I believe, with FAT32 support allegedly available since Symbian OS9 was introduced.

quintron wrote:
    have u tried connecting the phone (with memory card in it) via usb etc to the computer? that will tell you if the card reader is screwed. is reader old? also it could be one of your small files (read-only etc) causing the impasse.
    formating the card in the phone v's pc is moot if they format the same way.. just make sure it doesn't try to format as NTFS or something.. though this is a bit of a grey area for me tbh.. i don't know what std formatting options are in vista for example..
    older Nokias use FAT16 I believe, with FAT32 support allegedly available since Symbian OS9 was introduced.

No I dont have a usb cable for the nokia yet, will hopefully get it tomorrow.
    The reader is old and has screwed up memory cards before, especially when importing several files in one go. Might be that the memory card has to be re-partitioned - read about somewhere else on a discussion board, anyone knows if that's the case?

I can't format with NTFS in the computer (Win XP btw) so that can't be the prob.

This is a Nokia 6151 so it's the Nokia OS, not Symbian.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,361 ✭✭✭tw0nk

OP you order this of ebay? Its possible to make the storage size of a flash card a false size, many sellers on ebay do this and rebrand the cards to make them appear higher capacity than sold.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 315 ✭✭pjjk90

I have bought many cards off eBay, most perfect/some terrible. False capacity is one problem with them, slow writing speeds is another. Tips for buying off eBay;
    1) Check how much feedback they have, and positive rating, if they are both high, thats good
    2) Read the feedback left by other people who have bought memory cards from the company, in my opinion best way to go.
    From what you say it stops at 500MB, it sounds fake, thats what happened me and my 2GB. If you did buy off eBay, try and get your money back from the company, they should be more than happy to replace/refund you.
    Good Luck
    Padddy

As i mentioned before, i could fill the memory card up to 1.8 gig with large video files but when trying to put small files, it stops at around 600 mb. So i doubt it's fake size. Was buying off ebay from a large power seller with more than 10k feedbacks so i doubt it's something wrong with the seller.

• Registered Users Posts: 315 ✭✭pjjk90

oh, thats unusual. My one you Could fill up to the 3.8Gb or so(It actually was a 4GB i bought for my PSP), but anything after 400Mb was corrupt. The video files after 400Mb was used appeared as corrupt. Do the video files work when the card is full? Does the phone support the smaller files? otherwise I am not sure.

Advertisement