Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Good Hip Hop?

Options
  • 11-08-2007 12:51pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 1,511 ✭✭✭

I was watching "the Best of the Tube" on VH1 and they often show some Hip Hop/Rap music that wasn't pretentious BS. 80s and early 90s rap music was actually a lot of fun, and they dressed more like punks than gangstas. It was so much more colourful and pleasant. I can't stand modern rap for the most part, apart from bands that use rapping and mix it with other kinds of music like Rage Against the Machine, Massive Attack or the Gorillaz.

Why has this form of music died out seemingly so completely? Why is all hiphop nasty, harsh, and very often without atmosphere?

I would love to hear some old-skool hip-hop. If anyone knows any acts still going that are stuck in the 80s and 90s, I'd love to hear them.

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,149 ✭✭✭J.S. Pill

Rozie wrote:
    I was watching "the Best of the Tube" on VH1 and they often show some Hip Hop/Rap music that wasn't pretentious BS. 80s and early 90s rap music was actually a lot of fun, and they dressed more like punks than gangstas. It was so much more colourful and pleasant. I can't stand modern rap for the most part, apart from bands that use rapping and mix it with other kinds of music like Rage Against the Machine, Massive Attack or the Gorillaz.

Why has this form of music died out seemingly so completely? Why is all hiphop nasty, harsh, and very often without atmosphere?

I would love to hear some old-skool hip-hop. If anyone knows any acts still going that are stuck in the 80s and 90s, I'd love to hear them.

For colourful and pleasant rap check out De La Sol's '3 feet high and rising'.

Not quite so colourful and pleasant is Public Enemy's 'It takes a nation of millions to hold us back'. Still a quality album with a lot of intelligence behind it which contrasts somewhat with NWA's more overt bitches/hustlers 'n' hos approach - but NWA are still fun to listen to so long as you don't take them too seriously.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,460 ✭✭✭Orizio

You do realise there is a Hip-Hop forum on this site don't you?

I would suggest checking out the likes of De La Soul, Outkast, Jurassic 5, Cunninlynguists, The Roots, Masta Ace, The Coup (very political), Little Brother, Common, A Tribe Called Quest etc. I could go for a while, but Little Brother, Masta Ace, De La Soul and Jurassic 5 have a strong old skool playful vive to their music, so thats probably the best place to start.Try...

The Listening - Little Brother
    The Grind Date - De La Soul
    A Long Hot Summer - Masta Ace
    Qualty Control - Jurassic 5
    A Piece Of Strange - Cunninlynguists (the best album released in music fullstop last year imo)

Check reviews of the above on All Music Guide before purchasing to see if they are your sort of thing. You will probably have to buy those albums through the internet, which should give you a hint as to why many think Hip-Hop is in a worse state then it actually is.

And that form of music hasn't died out 'completely'. Arguably it is going through the same decade of over decadence rock and other genres went through and yet there is still a couple of dozen plus quality albums released every year. As with all good music, it depends where you look.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,503 ✭✭✭Makaveli

This year for the most part has been very poor though. Considering some of the artists that released albums it could have been so much better, but most didn't live up to expectations (Pharoahe Monch, Talib Kweli and whatever else I've already forgotten).

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,511 ✭✭✭Rozie

Hey thanks. I used to play Jet Set Radio so Jurassic 5 who contributed to a song or two on that soundtrack might be a good start. I liked the music from JSR.

Yeah, I know there's a Hip Hop forum, I just thought some offense would be taken on my opinion regarding the genre in it's current state.

Makaveli wrote:
    This year for the most part has been very poor though. Considering some of the artists that released albums it could have been so much better, but most didn't live up to expectations (Pharoahe Monch, Talib Kweli and whatever else I've already forgotten).

If I remember correctly the start to last year was pretty ****e as well when things picked up from the end of the summer onwards. Possibly the same situation again this year, we'll have to see.

Notice that Panacea, M.I.A., Little Brother, Median, Naledge, Shape of Broad Minds, the Wu, Cunninlynguists, Guilty Simpson/Sean Price, 9th Wonder and a few others are all due to drop so there is hope yet. ;)

• Advertisement

Rozie wrote:
    Hey thanks. I used to play Jet Set Radio so Jurassic 5 who contributed to a song or two on that soundtrack might be a good start. I liked the music from JSR.

Yeah, I know there's a Hip Hop forum, I just thought some offense would be taken on my opinion regarding the genre in it's current state.

Any constructive criticism is welcome, just along as its done in an intelligent manner. Your opinion above is probably shared by a lot of Hip-Hop heads.

TBH my view of Hip-Hop is the same with pretty much all music genres, if its played on the radio/TV its usually second rate and unoriginal. The best rock albums released this year have been from the likes of Arcade Fire, The National and Battles but you are usually not going to hear these groups get mentioned that much love in the media (Arcade Fire are an exception in a limited sense).Ditto for the best electronic and Hip-Hop music dropped this year.

• Moderators, Music Moderators Posts: 11,373 Mod ✭✭✭✭lordgoat

I listen to the J5, and de la soul and a bit of PE and i agree it's a shame there isn't more of this around. I also think this thread could have been seen as out of place in the Hip-Hop forum, which is kinda ironic...

I also listen to Buck 65 but not sure what category he falls into...

Even some of the not-so-commercial, more underground modern hip hop isn't necessarily my thing though. It is really the oldskool style I'm after. Though I always end up liking weird and random things either way.

I think the big problem with Hip Hop is the following, more than anything. There's a bit of a "thug" culture around it, very often populated by people who are decidely not very black but seem to think they not only are but an epitimous yet inaccurate stereotype thereof.

Of course, there's one REALLY oldschool mother****er we're all forgetting.

blaster.jpg

Blaster. YEAH! Cover your receptors, perceptor! He's so ghetto, he's a ghetto blaster. Literally.

If you just want to listen to oldskool stuff then basically your just going to have to listen to old stuff from the 80's and early 90's. I personally have little time for the Hip-Hop artists today aping and copying the 80's stuff, just like I have no interest in listening to new rock bands doing their very worst Pixies impersonations.

I'm really loving De La Soul. And I'm already used to them anyway thanks to the Gorillaz.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 27,252 ✭✭✭✭stovelid

Rozie wrote:

Edan is pretty good...

I agree about current hip hop. Although I like a lot of it sonically , some of the attitudes gets me down.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,082 ✭✭✭lostexpectation

well its "alternative hip hop" you looking for... not money obssessd hip hop of the kanye west vibe, I can't stand it neither I find their I want to **** on everyone else but im family man you know attitude very distasteful.

krs1 released a new album

more like punks then gangsters?? Im trying to think of who you are talking about, alot of the 80's/90's guys had a great sense of humour, public enemy tribes like quest, people like jurassic five still have but some of the more alternative politcal stuff is less so more angry

well its "alternative hip hop" you looking for... not money obssessd hip hop of the kanye west vibe, I can't stand it neither I find their I want to **** on everyone else but im family man you know attitude very distasteful.

krs1 released a new album

more like punks then gangsters?? Im trying to think of who you are talking about, alot of the 80's/90's guys had a great sense of humour, public enemy tribes like quest, people like jurassic five still have but some of the more alternative politcal stuff is less so more angry

I wish I could remember the name of the band. But that's what my mum commented on them as at the time we were watching it and it kind of fits. Very colourful well dress punks mind, not tacky trashy punks. One guy had a kind of red leather jacket. At least one band member had a bit of a red indian influence in their clothing too. They were great whoever they were. But the amazing clever people doing Best of the Tube don't bother telling us who the acts are, ever.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,503 ✭✭✭Makaveli

Red Indian could be Afrika Bambaataa and The Soul Sonic Force - Planet Rock

Edit - Actually, bet you it's this.

Grandmaster Flash and The Furious Five - The Message

Hah yeah! That's it! Man that's a really good song. I love it! And they big it up for peace. How many modern rap groups, or any groups would do that.

I wonder why I remember one of them cross dressing and one of them being a red indian though :/ There must have been another similiar group on that night. Wish I could remember them. Could have been on the Tube twice, though. Maybe.

Rozie wrote:
    Hah yeah! That's it! Man that's a really good song. I love it! And they big it up for peace. How many modern rap groups, or any groups would do that.

I wonder why I remember one of them cross dressing and one of them being a red indian though :/ There must have been another similiar group on that night. Wish I could remember them. Could have been on the Tube twice, though. Maybe.

Plenty, as I already pointed out.:rolleyes:

All rap is modern btw.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,790 ✭✭✭cornbb

Rozie, check out pretty much any artist on the Ninja Tunes label. Examples would include DJ Food, Amon Tobin or Coldcut. Groups from this label tend to make quality, intelligent, articulate and understated hip-hop which is almost apologetic for the state of the mainstream part of the genre, which is sadly what the vast majority of people think of when hip hop is mentioned. Believe me, there is plenty of excellent hip hop being made these days, you just have to dig a wee bit deeper to find it.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,457 ✭✭✭Blisterman

Check out Lupe Fiasco. Some great tunes, with intellegent lyrics.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,960 ✭✭✭DarkJager

Try and get hold of some Tony D. Brilliant NY hip hop.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 317 ✭✭mobileblog

No one mentioned PUTS “people under the stairs”. :eek:
    If you get the sunshine this summer, get your hands on people under the stairs – O.S.T album and enjoy, serious chilling.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UI8jfc7-tMU

• Advertisement
Advertisement