Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Yesterdays bad landing at Dublin.

• 11-08-2007 1:23pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,248 ✭✭✭

Right heres the storey, I was coming back from Salou on an Airbus A320 to Dublin. As we were going over the irish sea the pilot did a full turn around probly because the skys were busy then made our way to the airport. As we were about to land we could see the runway clearly maybe 50 feet off the ground when suddenly, we were pushed back into the seats, the arse of the plane went down and up we flew like if we were taking off then he turned around and went back out to the Irish sea. Alot off people were screaming, the pilot talking in Spanish and people started farting:(
    My father said if the plane dosen't kill us the smell of sh!t is surley going to finish us off.
    If you had to seen it from the ground it would of looked very odd maybe dangerous but inside was a different storey, i still have the hebby gebbys. The pilot then anounced 15 minutes later it was an obstruction on the runway and air traffic asked them to pull up:rolleyes: Is this a common problem or did it ever happen to anyone here?

Comments

• Moderators, Education Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators Posts: 7,395 Mod ✭✭✭✭**Timbuk2**

I'm a pilot in training, and this is easy explainable

It's called a go-around. It's when the pilot is landing, then ATC tells you to go around, because there may be traffic on the runway, or something that might make landing unsafe. It usually happens quite close to the runway, which differs it from a missed approach

It isn't uncommon. It isn't dangerous. It is a sudden change for the pilot, but not a panicky one. The aircraft will be configured for landing, so to climb again requires sudden changes. Usually pilots go by the UPs rule - Nose up, gear up, flaps up, throttle up

After this happens the pilot simply flies as if taking off, heads to the VOR and circles around at around 3000ft (depending on the airport, this is average) and joins the landing que again, and lands

However, once under 100ft AGL, the pilot cannot this. They are commited to land under 100ft AGL

Hope this helps!

• Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 28,820 Mod ✭✭✭✭oscarBravo

The aircraft will be configured for landing, so to climb again requires sudden changes. Usually pilots go by the UPs rule - Nose up, gear up, flaps up, throttle up
    From what I've heard about Airbus planes, there's probably a button in front of the pilot marked "missed approach" that does all that for him. ;)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,213 ✭✭✭✭therecklessone

oscarBravo wrote:
    From what I've heard about Airbus planes, there's probably a button in front of the pilot marked "missed approach" that does all that for him. ;)

Don't even have to take their feet off the dash, its voice activated...:D

• Moderators, Education Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators Posts: 7,395 Mod ✭✭✭✭**Timbuk2**

Haha, lol! :D

Nothing beats good old Boeings!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,248 ✭✭✭Plug

I'm a pilot in training, and this is easy explainable

It's called a go-around. It's when the pilot is landing, then ATC tells you to go around, because there may be traffic on the runway, or something that might make landing unsafe. It usually happens quite close to the runway, which differs it from a missed approach

It isn't uncommon. It isn't dangerous. It is a sudden change for the pilot, but not a panicky one. The aircraft will be configured for landing, so to climb again requires sudden changes. Usually pilots go by the UPs rule - Nose up, gear up, flaps up, throttle up

After this happens the pilot simply flies as if taking off, heads to the VOR and circles around at around 3000ft (depending on the airport, this is average) and joins the landing que again, and lands

However, once under 100ft AGL, the pilot cannot this. They are commited to land under 100ft AGL

Hope this helps!
    That says it all,fhew!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,013 ✭✭✭yayamark

Plug wrote:
    Right heres the storey, Alot off people were screaming, the pilot talking in Spanish and people started farting:(
    My father said if the plane dosen't kill us the smell of sh!t is surley going to finish us off.

on such a serious topic i'm here laughing me head off, well put

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 25,007 ✭✭✭✭Wishbone Ash

Plug wrote:
    My father said if the plane dosen't kill us the smell of sh!t is surley going to finish us off
    Priceless! I haven't laughed as much in ages :D

My brother was on am Aer Arran flight from Carrickfinn a few years ago and claims that while attempting to land in Dublin during a storm the plane bounced off the ground several times and eventually had to take off again and divert to Shannon(?). He also said that there was a foul smell in the cabin caused by a combination of vomit and excrement!

Priceless! I haven't laughed as much in ages :D

My brother was on am Aer Arran flight from Carrickfinn a few years ago and claims that while attempting to land in Dublin during a storm the plane bounced off the ground several times and eventually had to take off again and divert to Shannon(?). He also said that there was a foul smell in the cabin caused by a combination of vomit and excrement!

It's uncommon, but it happens. It's called ballooning. It can be scary for the passengers! (espcially for those who are afraid of flying). If the pilot fails to get the plane landed on the second 'bounce', he/she will go around, or if the storms are bad (like in this case), divert (usually the more common situation in this event, as whatever caused it to happen is unlikely to be gone if they land again)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,390 ✭✭✭DublinDilbert

it's happened to me once.... the plane in front burst a tire on landing, and they control tower asks the next plane approaching the run way to do a fly around, while they are making sure no bits of tire on the runway...

it's happened to me once.... the plane in front burst a tire on landing, and they control tower asks the next plane approaching the run way to do a fly around, while they are making sure no bits of tire on the runway...

That's a lot more common than you think, alot of go-arounds would be caused by that. Also, if an aircraft is taking off and they have a problem (engine failure), and they have to abort the takeoff (which is a lot more uncomfortable for passengers than go-arounds), they wont be leaving the runway as quick as they should, and if the ATC keep traffic tight (like in Heathrow and Dublin), the landing aircraft will have to go-around

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,941 ✭✭✭pclancy

oscarBravo wrote:

All modern commercial jets have a TO/GA button to select takeoff or go around power when autothrottle is being used.

Its totally safe, and every approach they fly would have a missed approach plan of what to do if for some reason they have to go around. It can be worrying for pax tho.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 25,007 ✭✭✭✭Wishbone Ash

the plane in front burst a tire on landing
    Just wondering lads, in a multi-wheel aircraft, would it be very obvious to the pilot/s that a tyre has burst or is it indicated electronically in the cockpit panels?

(Presumably it wouldn't be visible to the ATC in the tower).

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,322 ✭✭✭ian_m

'Go arounds' happen regularly. They have become more frequent as the airport has become more crowded.
    http://ie.youtube.com/watch?v=S7r74dtcvmo

so in fact it probably was a good landing in the end

• Closed Accounts Posts: 476 ✭✭cp251

A journalist Colum Kenny wrote an ill informed article for the Sunday Independant when he experienced a go around. He was well and trully hammered for it on PPRuNe.

He wrote a follow up article here:http://www.independent.ie/national-news/aborted-landings-are-safer-than-bad-landings-say-pilots-1042356.html

This time it was well informed and greeted with approval from the PPRuNe experts.

I've only experienced one go around as a passenger but no one screamed fainted or farted.

As a pilot I've had a few go arounds. I remember one day making four consecutively because of calm winds and my general incompetance:o

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,248 ✭✭✭Plug

ian_m wrote:
    'Go arounds' happen regularly. They have become more frequent as the airport has become more crowded.
    http://ie.youtube.com/watch?v=S7r74dtcvmo

so in fact it probably was a good landing in the end
    It was still terrifying for most of the passingers though:( *farts*

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,181 ✭✭✭Davidth88

OP , would you rather be scared , or land on top of another aeroplane :)

I have only had one go-around in a commercial jet, that was in SFO, it is quite alarming because you are not aware of the facts. Although thinking about it engine sound going quiet rather than noisy would be more alarming in some ways :)

I remember one time at LHR seeing a squal blow up and about 6 flights in a row all elected to go-around.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 10,910 ✭✭✭✭RoundyMooney

The original article that Dr. Kenny wrote is here, and the PPRUNE thread which led to the article quoted by cp251 can be read here.

Nice to see a bit of open minded journalism come out of a somewhat messy debate.

• Registered Users Posts: 14 Mcfecked

Usually pilots go by the UPs rule - Nose up, gear up, flaps up, throttle up

I would advise you go over go arounds with your instructor! If you pull up and dont add power quite quickly generally bad things happen! Your gear does not come up unless you have a positive rate of climb and thats hard to achieve with no power!

In the bus it's as follows: TL to TOGA, rotate to 15 degrees of pitch while calling for flaps to three, positive rate gear comes up, at acceleration altitude, select desired speed, engage A/THR by moving the TL's to the CL detent and activating A/THR, retract flaps on schedule. Push F/A call button and ask for another coffee.

If your at 100ft AGL and you see a nice big red fire truck or heaven forbid a big shiney peice of metal with round things on its wings sitting nicely on the numbers, i doubt you'll be too inclined to put her down.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,638 ✭✭✭bombidol

Im scared ****less of flying since a dodgey flight with Ryan air a few months ago and I find it very calming to read this kind of stuff.

• Registered Users Posts: 794 ✭✭✭electric69

Someone needs to look over their regs :rolleyes:

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 476 ✭✭cp251

LOL I just read timbuk2's advice. :eek:
    Originally Posted by **Timbuk2**
    Usually pilots go by the UPs rule - Nose up, gear up, flaps up, throttle up

To complete that we can add one extra bit:

Nose up, gear up, flaps up, throttle up, blow up:p because that's exactly what would happen if you tried it in that order. Throttle first, my friend. Try it on your flight simulator as I suspect you are indeed a Microsoft pilot. If you really are learning to fly, please sit down with your instructor as McFecked advises, before you kill yourself or worse still bend a perfectly good aeroplane.:(

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,772 ✭✭✭Lennoxschips

I was once on a 747 that made two attempts to land at Singapore in a tropical storm, before diverting to Malaysia. I didn't mind, although some passengers were visibly shaken. The scariest bit was the military guys with guns on the ground in Malaysia, making sure no passengers tried to illegally enter their country.

I was also on a 737 once that had a multiple tyre blowout on takeoff (which we didn't notice at the time, nor were we told about it), and we had to make three passes over the destination airport, because the captain said there were some problems with crosswinds. Only thing was, it was a bright sunny day without a cloud in the sky and we were completely and totally missing the runway. Eventually we made a perfect, uneventful landing and while fire crews were removing shredded rubber from the plane's wheels the captain came clean about the whole thing. It turns out we were doing flybys of the tower so they could survey the damage to the landing gear.

I have no fear of flying, only the terrorism. :o

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,772 ✭✭✭Lennoxschips

cp251 wrote:
    LOL I just read timbuk2's advice. :eek:

To complete that we can add one extra bit:

Nose up, gear up, flaps up, throttle up, blow up:p because that's exactly what would happen if you tried it in that order. Throttle first, my friend. Try it on your flight simulator as I suspect you are indeed a Microsoft pilot. If you really are learning to fly, please sit down with your instructor as McFecked advises, before you kill yourself or worse still bend a perfectly good aeroplane.:(

i was going to say, the last thing i'd be worrying about is putting up the wheels :D

• Registered Users Posts: 272 ✭✭mobpd

I've experienced 3 go-arounds whilst landing at Dublin:
    1 - the plane overshot the landing point on the runway (the pilot admitted this)
    2 - landing as a crosswind hit and caused the plane to tilt too much
    3 - during sudden fog when the pilot said he lost visibility - not sure how close to the ground we actually were but it must have been quite close as the undercarriage had been down for a while

Advertisement