Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Whats a good part time course in financial services

Options
  • 11-08-2007 1:29pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 43

I am interested in doing a course in financial services. Really to learn how an investment bank works and how funds work. I think this would be useful if I ever wanted to move inhouse as a lawyer in a bank (and there seems to be loads of jobs in that area).
    Whats a good course to do that would teach me the basics of how an investment bank actually works. I would prefer a correspondence course and ideally no more than a year. If attending it would have to be evenings or Saturdays and Im in Dublin.
    The insitute of bankers in Ireland www.bankers.ie do a certificate in investment fund services. Whats this like does anyone know. Also DIT do postgrad diploma in financial services but thats full time.
    Would really appreciate any advice here.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 5,404 ✭✭✭Goodluck2me

be intererested to hear hwo this goes...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 11 MortgageBrkr

I think DCU do an evening Diploma in Investment Analysis Studies

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,290 ✭✭✭ircoha

I am interested in doing a course in financial services. Really to learn how an investment bank works and how funds work. I think this would be useful if I ever wanted to move inhouse as a lawyer in a bank (and there seems to be loads of jobs in that area).
    Whats a good course to do that would teach me the basics of how an investment bank actually works. I would prefer a correspondence course and ideally no more than a year. If attending it would have to be evenings or Saturdays and Im in Dublin.
    The insitute of bankers in Ireland www.bankers.ie do a certificate in investment fund services. Whats this like does anyone know. Also DIT do postgrad diploma in financial services but thats full time.
    Would really appreciate any advice here.

one issue here is now with increased regs the courses are geared towards achieving the reg requirements rather than general knowledge.

If the OP is interested in the funds area then pick a funds course.

There are many businesses in an investment bank, including
    Funds management
    Treasury
    Lending
    Stockbroking
    Corporate Finance: including M&A
    Investment Management.

In relation to funds, there are 2 sides: the back office where the paper work is done and the actual allocation of monies to the funds.
    AFAIK most of the funds work in the IFSC is the former.

OP Please PM me if u post again here as I dont check in regularly.

just found a guide to funds management in IFSC published by McCann Fitz

may be available online now

HTH

Advertisement