Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

What Comics have you give up on?

Options
  • 11-08-2007 2:03pm
    Registered Users Posts: 1,144 ✭✭✭

This year I gave up on a lot of singles.
    I dropped most of the dc stuff that not vertigo or wildstorms. I just think they have lost thier way with a lot of thier superhero books.

The x-men was ditched after the decimation was completly ignored.
    Althou I still read X-factor which is a shiney becon of hope amist the fog.The civil war stuff wasn't too bad but appears to have given way to the tide of World war hulk.

So what have you guys given the boot over the last few months?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 3,404 ✭✭✭qwertplaywert

most of the panini uk reprints of the major us marvel titles.gone to the dogs. although house of m is coming up soon, so theres always hope........

• Registered Users Posts: 697 ✭✭✭the Shades

decimation isn't being ignored, endangered species is running through all the main X-books at the moment and will be followed by the big crossover Messiah Complex which all deals with the 'no more mutants' decree. It all started in Carey's X-men which is by far the best of the bunch. Although X-factor isn't bad either. She's Layla Miller, she knows stuff.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 35 bryan philips

I gave up on Carey's x-men as it has lost any semblance of a real story. Not to worry though between Joss Whedon and Ed Brubaker the x titles are still among the best!

Whedon's Astonishing is poorly plotted and the whole Breakworld thing is god awful. It may work month to month but when you read them as a trade there's very little 'wow' factor. All I've heard about Brubaker's is that the plotting is too slow and having read the last 3 issues I'd tend to agree. It also seemed really odd that Storm and Hepzibah would stand back complaining while leaving Warpath to wrestle the alligator rather than helping him.

Then again more people are talking about Carey's work and the crossovers that everyone is getting excited about were both his idea.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 11 pokerjoker

well guys i'm sorry to say i have given up on marvel not that i read a lot
    of marvel anyway it was just that civil war just cheesed me off took to long to come out
    but on the flip side i have been picking up a lot of vertigo graphic novels
    preacher,100 bullets, Y the last man ,all very cool.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,747 ✭✭✭Figment

I am about to give up on Hellblazer. It has lost its old cocky magic and has just become moany. Any suggestions for a replacement with a good dose of dark humour?

• Subscribers Posts: 1,911 ✭✭✭Draco

Off the top of my head:
    I gave up on Hellblazer at issue 200 when I realised I'd gotten the previous 5 years worth but could barely remember what had happened in the last year or so.

Gave up on 100 Bullets around issue 60 odd after re-reading all I had and decided I could wait for in trades.

Gave up on the Batman titles after Hush as that story just annoyed me to the core and I wasn't interested in the next big cross over (War Games I think?) I have gotten a few of the recent Grant Morrisson issues though.

Ultimate X-men got dumped at the start of the Cable story (around issue 75) and Ultimate Fantastic Four around issue 44 as they just weren't doing anything for me.

• Moderators, Arts Moderators, Regional Abroad Moderators Posts: 11,045 Mod ✭✭✭✭Fysh

After a couple of years of mucking around with monthlies, I'm sick of it again. Between the way 7 Soldiers fizzled out into nothingness and the annoyingness of having adverts in them, I'd rather just wait for the trade.

I'm also feeling the Hellblazer burnout - Carey's run looks like it actually changed things which is good (or at least as much as we're ever going to get) but I just don't see myself caring any more. I'll probably pick up the last trade of Carey's run & the second Denise Mina book and then stop reading.

Honestly I'm not really interested in the monthlies from either Marvel or DC, because marvel seem to be doing the perpetual "next big event" thing and DC are doing the "anally-retentive about continuity" thing and, well, neither are giving me comics I'd like to read on a monthly basis.

The only stuff I'd keep on as a monthly read would be the Ellis stuff - Black Summer, Doktor Sleepless, Fell and (whenever it finally comes back) Desolation Jones.

Oh Fysh prepare to have your little heart torn out; Warren Ellis is taking over from Whedon on Astonishing X-men! Prepare to join the fanboys!

• Registered Users Posts: 4,788 ✭✭✭ztoical

I've been collecting xmen since I was 9 and I have tired to drop it a number of times but ever time I do it gets bloody good for a bout second and I have to go track down back issues then of course it goes back to being rubbish........over the course of the years this has happened at least 4 times so I've given up and keep picking it up.........i thought about dropping it just to see if it would get good but those marvel boys have a bug in my brian and seem to know when I'm fake dropping it :p

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Arts Moderators, Regional Abroad Moderators Posts: 11,045 Mod ✭✭✭✭Fysh

the Shades wrote:
    Oh Fysh prepare to have your little heart torn out; Warren Ellis is taking over from Whedon on Astonishing X-men! Prepare to join the fanboys!

I've resisted that post-Civil War nonsense Ellis is writing (Thunderbolts, I think?) so I'll avoid this as well. :P It's one of the things I enjoy about Ellis, he's a decent enough writer that he can churn out decent runs on mainstream books as well as his independent work.

Fysh wrote:
    I've resisted that post-Civil War nonsense Ellis is writing (Thunderbolts, I think?) so I'll avoid this as well. :P It's one of the things I enjoy about Ellis, he's a decent enough writer that he can churn out decent runs on mainstream books as well as his independent work.

I'm just waiting to see the looks on Whedon fanboys faces when they realise how bad his run has been in comparison to Ellis' lol

the Shades wrote:
    I'm just waiting to see the looks on Whedon fanboys faces when they realise how bad his run has been in comparison to Ellis' lol

I haven't read any of Whedon's comics work per se, but between what I've seen of his TV work and what I've read in interviews with him about his approach to writing comics, he seems to over-use the idea of killing favourite characters, which annoys me. It can be a fine way of pulling together a character-based story, but not if you do it in every single thing you work on.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,144 ✭✭✭MarkHall

ztoical wrote:
    over the course of the years this has happened at least 4 times so I've given up and keep picking it up.........i thought about dropping it just to see if it would get good but those marvel boys have a bug in my brian and seem to know when I'm fake dropping it :p
    You could always just get the Good trades at a later date.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,988 ✭✭✭constitutionus

ive pretty much dropped everything that i used to collect. mostly i get the trades now and weirdly the civil war thing has actually given me the impetus to drop new avengers. i dont like the new line up and im fecking lost as to what book i should take up to follow the ones i did . particularly seeing while the character or characters may be in a different book its invariably written by someone i never heard of and the days of me hoping theyll do good with em is long gone.

interesting news about ellis. i knew whedon was leaving and i was gonna drop astonishing after he left but ellis may persuade me to stick around. im definetly buying his trade of newuniversal. plus ive just bought brubakers run on uncanny xmen as a trade as i enjoyed deadly genesis and ive a soft spot for old x forcers like james.

my big problem at the moment is i havent a clue when what single issues im still collecting are coming out. planetary for instance still has one issue to go and i cant remember the last time i bought astonishing. i used to collect the ultimates but it seems like its all change time there now so i'll use this as an excuse to drop it and while i gave the new ghost rider a chance i just got bored with it. BIGGEST pain in the arse for me is squadron supreme. i dont even know if the books still being published! ive read on the net people are getting it and are up to 9 or so but i havent seen an issues since no. 7 and that was last year some time!

i dont know it just doesnt seem to be a great time for collecting single issue's anymore from either of the big two. i might give some of the civil war spin offs a chance like omega flight as a trade but its not worth the cover price of a single. guess i'll just stick with my lovely transformers titles from IDW . they're building up nicely and best of all i know they wont be cancelled at a drop of a hat .

• Registered Users Posts: 4,788 ✭✭✭ztoical

MarkHall wrote:
    You could always just get the Good trades at a later date.

but i want to the read the story now! lol

But I do have to agree with constitutionus that it just seems to be a bit a of slump time for picking up floppies. The only ones I've rush to grab and got all excited about reading recently were American Virgin and Tales of TMNT - everything else I just seem to be picking up on auto pilot, I should stop that thou cus the mark up here on floppies [and on graphic novels, and books and statues, dvd's, cds, well you get the point] is mad and adds up quickly and that makes my wallet sad.

Planetary has 1 issue left; Ellis mentioned a while back (a month or two ago) that the script is finished and has been handed in; now we're waiting for Cassaday to get time to finish the linework, then the colourist etc etc. And that'll be issue 27 out. Then, for no good reason, Wildstorm will no doubt defer the release of the final Planetary trade for about another year or so, despite the fact that Marvel seems to do quite well with its policy of releasing trades within weeks of the last issue of a storyline coming out in single format.

But yeah, I've not seen much if anything mainstream that makes me want to start following it. Certainly no ongoing series; things like Nightly News interest me but tend to be 6 issue miniseries so I just end up getting the trade (using that specific example, I've been looking out for NN since Steven Grant mentioned the first issue ages back, but the only one I've ever seen stocked in Other Realms is, fantastically, issue 6 of 6).

I've lost what little interest I'd managed to rekindle in superhero books in general, I think. I would've carried on paying some attention to the Ultimate line-up, but having Millar & Hitch leave before Ultimates 3 starts means I've got no reason to think it'll be any good.

Meh, I say. Meh! Death to contentment - take chances on more new limited series rather than continuing to flog the dead horse of decades-old franchises!

/rabble-rousing

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5 TonyGro

thunderbolts as soon as norman osburne left it

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,447 ✭✭✭richymcdermott

not so much a comic but i gave up on deathnote

• Registered Users Posts: 2,587 ✭✭✭Bob Z

:)
    Fysh wrote: »
    I haven't read any of Whedon's comics work per se, but between what I've seen of his TV work and what I've read in interviews with him about his approach to writing comics, he seems to over-use the idea of killing favourite characters, which annoys me. It can be a fine way of pulling together a character-based story, but not if you do it in every single thing you work on.

has he killed any major characters?

• Advertisement

Bob Z wrote: »
    :)

has he killed any major characters?

Hmm, I should've probably nipped this necrothreadage in the bud but on the other hand if the thread has mileage it has mileage....

IIRC Whedon "killed off" Kitty Pryde - something involving a giant bullet fired at the entire planet and Kitty having to get stuck to it so she could phase it through the planet...I didn't read it, so I'm going by hearsay/wikipedia at this point. Then there's
    Wash's death in Firefly:Serenity
    . Beyond that, however, I refer you here, where other people who know his work in more detail have made a better case than me.

I'll say this for Whedon - what I've seen of his work has been more effective in terms of using the "character death=drama" approach than what I've seen of Brian K. Vaughan, though part of that is I've just not been particularly impressed with Vaughan's writing (I thought Pride Of Baghdad was a beautifully-illustrated load of arse, with a script that didn't know what it was doing, and Y: The Last Man was pretty good except for the atrocious ending).

Advertisement