Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Aldi (Tevion) Internet radio

2»

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 88,972 ✭✭✭✭mike65

Watty would this work
    Hawking USB network adapter

Mike.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 32,417 ✭✭✭✭watty

For what?
    It's a budget stick to a allow a PC or Laptop(with no built in WiFi) to connect to a WiFi base.

It won't add WiFi Airpoint to something for existing WiFi Gadgets.

Okay just asking! :o

So then Linksys WRT54GS it is.

Mike.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,726 ✭✭✭✭DMC

Yeah the device you linked is for a laptop or PC that requires a wifi antenna to talk to a wifi router, so the Linksys is the way to go. And dabs.ie has the cheapest price for that, as I looked around only a couple of weeks ago for it.

Just ordered it from Dabs after seeing komplett ask for 20 euro more.

Mike.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,894 ✭✭✭TinCool

I've seen this in ALDI in the UK too. I do miss not being able to listen to the likes of 2FM and Newstalk. Can this device pick up the irish stations ?

It sure can, but Newstalk has been a pain recently, as they (along with other Communicorp stations, they be 98FM and Spin) moved to an embedded Adobe Flash player, which the Reciva technology cannot deal with.

It says on the Newstalk website

"Q: I listen on Internet Radio - now I can't.
    A: The stream has been reactivated on most Internet radio sites now and you should be able to listen without difficulty. If you still can't, please let us know."

But I've tried just now and it doesn't work, nor does any of the linked streams when placed in "My streams"

/me goes and e-mails them.

DMC wrote: »
    It sure can, but Newstalk has been a pain recently, as they (along with other Communicorp stations, they be 98FM and Spin) moved to an embedded Adobe Flash player, which the Reciva technology cannot deal with.

It says on the Newstalk website

"Q: I listen on Internet Radio - now I can't.
    A: The stream has been reactivated on most Internet radio sites now and you should be able to listen without difficulty. If you still can't, please let us know."

But I've tried just now and it doesn't work, nor does any of the linked streams when placed in "My streams"

/me goes and e-mails them.

Thanks for the tip. I think I'll go ahead and pick one up. I miss Jerry Ryan's talk show in the morning, although not that I'll be able to listen to it during the week since I'd be in my car on the way to work.

Bump

I got my linksys box from dabs today (big box small package) the set up proved far less traumatic than I expected. Plugged in the Reciva and after a false dawn with BBC stations (off line it seems however the "on demand" serviced worked) I got Newstalk loud and clear. Surpisingly warm sound.

However I've lost/mislaid the destruction leaflet so if anyone can tell me how to save stations to a preset I'd be grateful.

Mike.

• Advertisement

\o/ Hallelujah! Glory be to Jebus! ;):D

Once you have chosen your station, you can hold the number buttons down until it says "preset saved" or somesuch.

I'm not near the manual at present to answer any other questions...

Incidentally, Newstalk mailed me back, they gave me this link to add into My Stations.. 128kbps... thats a higher bitrate than DAB! :D

Cheers I'll give it a go.

I posted elsewhere about the bbc stations, it seems they are borked for all.

I've managed to set the clock, alarm, sleep timer etc.

Mike.

Are you trying the WMA or the Real streams?

Both.

Mike.

mike65 wrote: »
    Both.

Oddness. The WMA stream only works with a UK Ip address, so that won't ever work over here, but I can't check the Real stream atm... :( )

• Moderators, Regional North West Moderators Posts: 19,130 Mod ✭✭✭✭byte
    byte

Incidentally, Newstalk mailed me back, they gave me this link to add into My Stations.. 128kbps... thats a higher bitrate than DAB! :D
    Cheers for the link. Must add it myself.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 797 ✭✭✭Michael G

I've just got my Aldi radio today; it was bought some time ago as a birthday present. By putting it in the next room I've managed to download nearly 8,000 stations from Reciva but it doesn't work in my kitchen, which is where I wanted to put it. Signal is too weak. I had bought a Sweex router to use with it. Do routers have different output strengths? I mean if I bough a different one would the radio work better?

Sweet, thanks dude. I'll check it out when I get home. I got mine on Friday and I have been listening to 2FM and the likes over the weekend. It's great to be able to listen to the irish stuff whilst living in the UK.

Cheers,
    TC.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,859 ✭✭✭bmaxi

Michael G wrote: »
    I've just got my Aldi radio today; it was bought some time ago as a birthday present. By putting it in the next room I've managed to download nearly 8,000 stations from Reciva but it doesn't work in my kitchen, which is where I wanted to put it. Signal is too weak. I had bought a Sweex router to use with it. Do routers have different output strengths? I mean if I bough a different one would the radio work better?

I'm no expert but I brought my radio next door to show my friend and it picked up my router, (Netopia 3347). Mine operates all the time in the kitchen and while it can drop off sometimes this is usually due to interference from other wi-fi or microwave.
    Incidentally, there have been two firmware upgrades for this radio which have eliminated the earlier bugs and it really is a good piece of kit, glad now I didn't return it.

This thread has proberly boosted sales by several hunded %!

Mike.

Bump in celebration \0/

After a few days use I can declare the Logik box a 90% success, it failings are only 5 presets and sometimes changing from one preset to another can be a bit tardy. Pity the LED display does'nt include a the time when the radio is on.

Box engineering is broadly better than I expected, the speaker tone is warm and pretty loud while maintaining clarity. Its said the logic can have a noisy transformer but its completely silent so far so as a bedside radio/alarm it works fine.

One thing worth mentioning for bbc-heads like me is that the main stations have an online archive which is accessable, right now I'm listening to BBC radio 7 and a "listen-again" edition of I'm Sorry I Hav'nt a Clue. :)

Mike.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Regional North West Moderators Posts: 19,130 Mod ✭✭✭✭byte
    byte

I haven't noticed any problems with the transformer either. For the price, it was a steal!
    Thanks DMC!

mike65 wrote: »
    I'm Sorry I Hav'nt a Clue. :)

"Bring me the wireless of Alfredo Garcia" :D

Nay bother lads :)

:D

Its a poor edition if there is'nt a Bring Me the of Alfredo Garcia joke :)

Mike.

When you hear Humph say "and there's just enough time for a round of [insert occupation]'s film club", you are guaranteed Graeme will spout it... and I never tire of that predictable gag :)

Hindeed, "Clue" is worthy of a thread in itself here...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 67 ✭✭BRENSH

I just created a website with a good amount of Irish radio stations sorted by county. The stations play through the page and works great in IE 7. http://irishradioportal.com. You should visit. It could make it easy to get an Irish Radio station when you are online.

Just found a useful feature of the "On Demand" feature - if you switch off at any point, when you switch back on it picks the programme stream up from the last point. Handy.

Mike.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,366 ✭✭✭luckat

Haven't found any internet radios cheaper than €100 in a quick trawl around town. Perhaps they'll appear as Christmas bargains...? Though the shops seem to be wall-to-wall wall-sized TV flatscreens.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 41,926 ✭✭✭✭_blank_

I got my Logik Radio today, and it works perfectly with eircom broadband and a Netopia Wireless Router, no problems there, what I am having problems with is connecting it to the Fon Wireless Router in my apartment.

The Fon broadcasts two WiFi signals, one has WPA on it, and the other has no encryption.

My laptop connects to both fine.

The Logik can see both, and when I go to connect to the WPA Encrypted one it tells me the WPA Key I'm entering is incorrect. I know I'm not entering it wrong though, because I even changed the key, and typed the new one into the laptop as I was entering it into the Logik. Still no joy.

On the unsecured network however, it just hung saying "Connecting to Network" for about twenty minutes, so I rebooted the router and the same again.

Anyone got any ideas?

Can't help you with the router problem (cue snort from DMC and Watty!), don't forget to register at www.reciva.com and to register the radio at My Radio so it can recive station updates from your list which you compile on the My Stations page.

Mike.

DesF wrote: »
    The Fon broadcasts two WiFi signals, one has WPA on it, and the other has no encryption.

Have you updated the firmware on the Logic yet?

This resource page may have some info too..

I'd be pretty certain that WPA and the Logik don't mix well....

• Advertisement

Have you updated the firmware on the Logic yet?

This resource page may have some info too..

I'd be pretty certain that WPA and the Logik don't mix well....
    That's fine DMC, but there is a network with no encryption there either, and it just hangs and hangs saying "Connecting to network"

It connected ok to the eircom router in a different location, and was even playing BBC Stations!

I'll take it back to that location and update the firmware so, see if that helps.

Any other ideas?

The firmware should fix some WPA issues, but I think its hit and miss.
    How far apart are the devices from the wifi radio? tbh, I think it struggles past 20ft.

My experiences are with a Netopia and a Linksys router, so you might find someone on the Reciva forums with a similar router.

The firmware should fix some WPA issues, but I think its hit and miss.
    How far apart are the devices from the wifi radio? tbh, I think it struggles past 20ft.
    OK, I did some messing with my router.

I changed the encryption from WPA to WEP, and now my Logik connects fine :)

Only thing is that the laptop won't connect now.

:(

Can't belive its an 'either/or' situation!

Mike.

It's not really Mike.

The Fon Router broadcasts two WiFi networks.

One is Private, for your own home, which I now have the Logik Connected to, but it's the one with the most bandwidth.

The other is a Publically Available network (the Fon Community works like this, if I come into range of another Fon Router, I get free net access), and I'm using that now as my "internet" connection.

No-one else in my apartment block seems to be able to pick up this public network though. So I can reverse the situation I suppose.

Anyway, this isn't really radio discussion.

I'm happy my Logik is working, and that's good. :)

And its come down in price again in Currys online, £49.99 stg, still limited stock across Northern Ireland.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 57 ✭✭polobradaigh

Can you tell me the quickest way to access the "on demand" feature without having to scroll through the several sub-menus.

I haven't actually done this but if you register your radio at www.reciva.com and then
    using the station search you should find the station with have On Demand and then add it to "your stations" then reboot the radio (unplug it) and the station will appear in the Your Stations submenu then press. (hopefully that will work, must give it a go myself)

edit that does'nt seem to work. Damn. You can subscribe to individual programmes but thats a bit of a pain

Mike.

Even added as a favourite, you still have to scroll to the station in the country/genre list to actually get the "on demand" links. :(

• Advertisement

Reciva need to tweak thier software so a search feature could be integrated

A simple 0-9 A-Z with a "hold" button so you can find say, BBC by pressing a button twice then hold and press twice again and all stations starting with BB would be listed.

I wonder would that be possible?

Mike.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 57 ✭✭polobradaigh

Thanks Mike and DMC. The problem is that it's BBC2 I want to pull down but it's way down the list in the "genre" category - there's an awful lot of clicking involved. Same applies to "location", but fortunately I can scroll backwards to UK, which is only a half-dozen stops away.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 16 fburns

Does anyone know of a portable Internet Radio - i.e. battery powered or rechargeable ? Thanks

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Regional East Moderators Posts: 18,519 CMod ✭✭✭✭The Black Oil

Hey, apologies for bringing this up again, but it's a good read and I'm getting curious about internet radios. According to this page page Currys et al no longer stock that Logik IR100 model. What might be worth checking out now, presumably it's not really necessary to spend into the hundreds...is buying online better?

I'd be mainly interested in it for the BBC, but perhaps NPR or other stuff if that's possible. I guess the main thing you've to watch out for is compatibility, that things will sync properly etc? I did a quick search and apparently there's some possible issues in getting the Logik to work well with Macs and the music on hard drives..I don't have to have it so that the internet radio can get files from the Mac, but it would be handy. There's also a PC in the house if that makes things easier.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 874 ✭✭✭Max001

Does anyone know if you can link one of these radios to the motorola cable modem supplied for Chorus broadband?

I've rarely used wi-fi and have the barest knowledge of it and am not so hot with technology.

Would love to have R4 to listen to instead of f**kin Newstalk. If someone can advise on the simplest set up that I can attempt, it'd be much appreciated. I live in the centre of Cork, so wi-fi is available.

Cheers

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 574 ✭✭✭PacMan

I think this has been mentioned already, but I just use a small transmitter, the type you can buy in Tesco etc for around 19.99.
    Its great, inexpensive and I can chhose the frequency. great for NPR and BBC radio 4. And not forgetting the excellent Clive Bull show on LBC 97.3.

I am not convinced yet about making a purchase of an internet radio.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Category Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Regional East Moderators Posts: 18,519 CMod ✭✭✭✭The Black Oil

Do you just plug it into your stereo and set it up? Is there a name/type you're on about? Managed to tune some of the BBCs into our Sky box so at least that's something, but only useful if you're downstairs in the house.

Advertisement