Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Can Anyone Help Fix my Torrent / Port Forwarding Problem???

Options
  • 11-08-2007 2:13pm
    Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators, Music Moderators Posts: 12,778 Mod ✭✭✭✭

This is driving me nuts! I've done everything I can but I still cannot get torrent to download at any decent speed - ever! I'm on NTL 2mb package.

I use Ares Galaxy and I can download at fine speeds with that, but if I use it to download torrents, or I use uTorrent, they all download at single figure speeds, the most I have got is 15k/s once, most are 1-2k/s

Here are some screenshots of my settings:

I set my static IP to 192.168.1.1
    www.zascar.com/files/ip.jpg
    This is my ipconfig:
    www.zascar.com/files/cmd.jpg
    This is my Port Forwarding:
    www.zascar.com/files/portforwarding.jpg

Can anyone see where I am going wrong?
    Thanks for your help

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 8,067 ✭✭✭L31mr0d

afaik, your whole ip setup is messed up? Why is your ip set on a different subnet to your gateway?

First change your IP from 192.161.1.101 to 192.168.1.101. Also, to simplify things, just set the preferred DNS server to 192.168.1.1 and leave the alternate blank.

Check to see if your ports are reading as open now, you can use the utorrent port checker for this.

• Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators, Music Moderators Posts: 12,778 Mod ✭✭✭✭Zascar

Thanks! Duh, I obviously didn't see that Type of 19.161.1.1 - fixed now.

I was told by someone else that I had to use NTL's DNS settings does it make a difference?

Ok so I checked the port using the uTorrent Port Checker, and the port I use for uTorrent (6112) says it is now open! Great!

However if I use it to check any of the other ports, it says they are closed... Why would this be?

Thanks

• Registered Users Posts: 1,530 ✭✭✭CptSternn

First, Azureus is a much better torrent client with more functionality, you might try it to see if you get better speeds for dl's.

Second, the DNS servers are not that important when it comes to speed. Using the ones that your ISP provides sometimes gets a better response than using free DNS servers on the net, but I have found that some providers connections (*cough* eircom *cough*) work better if you use a free open source DNS provider like...

NS1.DE.EU.ORSN.NET 217.146.139.5 (Operated by mgrundmann.de.orsn.org)
    RESOLVER.DATA-UNION.NET 62.157.101.211 (Operated by hostmaster.netteam.de)

However, if your setting the DNS server to 192.168.1.1, that means your router is using the default providers DNS as well so it shouldn't make any difference (your router is using them since its being configured via DHCP from their server, that means your using them when you point the settings to your own router).

-S

Advertisement