Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Wcw

• 11-08-2007 2:31pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 34,788 ✭✭✭✭

lately ive been buying a lot of wwe dvds that contain old wcw matches, the rey,pillman,nWo,ric flair,benoit,eddie ones for example,and i started watching a lot of the old nitros and ppvs matches on dailymotion.com and i have to say if i had the channels to get it when it was at its height i would have almost prefered it to the WWF of the time, now thats not to say it wasnt full of bad booking at times and the nWo faction got completely out of hand,and was more effective when it was the 3 original guys but the quality of the matches was fantastic at times, especially with the cruiserweight division and the workhorse guys like the horsemen,benoit,eddie,jericho and malenko. its such a pity the company went under and after reading Eric Bischoffs book can only imagine what it would have been like if not for the network interfering in the format and content of the show towards the end. While i loved the WWF as a kid and guys like hogan and the warrior and LOD its ahrd to go back and watch some of that stuff now as its so childish and silly at times, whereas watching old nwa and wcw stuff it was still very much geared towards adults, but anyway what everyones opinions on WCW in its prime? better than the wwf? tried too hard to compete?

one thing i will say, they built up Starrcade 1997 in a way ive never seen the WWE build a match, the atmosphere for Hogan/Sting was incredible in the arena, and it felt like a legitimate "big fight" atmosphere,you can watch the match here: http://www.dailymotion.com/relevance/search/wcw+sting+97/video/x1hf3j_sting-vs-hogan-starrcade-97-prt1_extreme

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,614 ✭✭✭The Sparrow

krudler wrote:
    one thing i will say, they built up Starrcade 1997 in a way ive never seen the WWE build a match, the atmosphere for Hogan/Sting was incredible in the arena, and it felt like a legitimate "big fight" atmosphere,you can watch the match here: http://www.dailymotion.com/relevance/search/wcw+sting+97/video/x1hf3j_sting-vs-hogan-starrcade-97-prt1_extreme

Michael Buffer makes a big difference in that regard... he just oozes the big fight atmosphere and the crowd can`t help but get hooked. I`d personally love to watch Monday Night War era WCW if they ever put the repeats on television. WCW Worldwide wass on SKY for a while to replace WWF Wrestling Challenge when WWf was forced to become WWE. It was the equivalent of Heat I guess but it was great to watch often for the wrong reasons but nonetheless fun. It was early 90s with the Black Scorpion and all that wackiness.

Who knows maybe WWE 24/7 will start here and we can watch the old stuff from different companies!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,045 ✭✭✭Vince135792003

WWE need to release annual best of Raw and Nitro (well up until 1999 in Nitors case) dvds. They could release a dvd on 1 year at a time and make a collection out of it.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,733 ✭✭✭ec18

WWE need to release annual best of Raw and Nitro (well up until 1999 in Nitors case) dvds. They could release a dvd on 1 year at a time and make a collection out of it.

Yeah that would be awesome and not a bad money spinner for them either

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,614 ✭✭✭The Sparrow

That would be great Vince, once they did it right! And let the events play out as they did instead of showing brief highlights of what you actually want to see and using wwe talking heads to rewrite history.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 36,634 ✭✭✭✭Ruu_Old

I wish they would release some of the old WCW shows on DVD. Ah nostalgia setting in again. :(

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,602 ✭✭✭✭ShawnRaven

Ruu wrote:
    I wish they would release some of the old WCW shows on DVD. Ah nostalgia setting in again. :(

WCW tagged classics, enough said. :)
    VR!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 34,788 ✭✭✭✭krudler

wasnt there rumours of a Starrcade boxset like the Wrestlemania one though? that might be worth a look,its the nitros id prefer to see thats where the WCWs strenghts lay was live tv

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,602 ✭✭✭✭ShawnRaven

krudler wrote:
    wasnt there rumours of a Starrcade boxset like the Wrestlemania one though? that might be worth a look,its the nitros id prefer to see thats where the WCWs strenghts lay was live tv

The PPVs aren't great, i've got most of em here after four years of hunting them down. The undercards were amazing for a lot of the PPV's and the Austin/Blondes stuff from PPVs and Clash Of The Champions is also a must-see. But a box-set of Starrcades wouldn't be worth the money as there were very few Starrcades that were great PPVs. The only one that springs to mind in terms of wrestling quality is the very first one in 83!

Krudler is right about the Nitros though, Nitro from 95-98 is definitely where WCW's meat was. And they knew it too.

VR!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 455 ✭✭eggplantman

My fav wrestler was goldberg

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,756 ✭✭✭demanufactured

My fav wrestler was goldberg

same here

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 26,061 ✭✭✭✭Terry

I was tuning a tv one night and came across TNT (which wasn't supposed to be available to me).
    Nitro was on and it was about 2 or 3 weeks before Scott Hall made his debut.
    I'd been watching the sunday shows on Sky one at the time, but I wasn't really that interested.
    I became hooked on Nitro though.
    After a few weeks, TNT disappeared, so I bought a satellite dish just to keep up with Nitro. TNT was free back then on analogue.
    It was well worth it. Some of those shows were great.

Advertisement