Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Internet Radio

Options
  • 11-08-2007 3:01pm
    Registered Users Posts: 497 ✭✭

I intend to purcase an internet radio.
    My internet broadband is via telephone line. My pc is 3 years old and there is not space for a wireless card.
    What are my options eg. if I buy a wireless router then I presume I will need a wireless card for the pc.
    Somebody told me that I can buy a small device like a memory stick that plugs into the pc and will send audio files.
    Thanks for any help.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 3,568 ✭✭✭ethernet

Surely there are Internet radios that accept plain old ethernet connections? You could get a wireless router. Connect your PC to it by ethernet and enable wireless for the Internet radio if it needs it. If you want to connect your PC wirelessly to the router, you can buy a USB dongle instead of fitting a PCI card.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 716 ✭✭✭JohnnieM

The Magic box Imp is a wireless internet radio..it even works with wi fi PSK..All you need then is a four port wireless router.. You can probably get one for free from you isp.. tell them your current one is giving you trouble .they'll send a new one out .. (most have wi fi built in now)

• Registered Users Posts: 14,993 ✭✭✭✭Kintarō Hattori

There are indeed lots of Internet Radio's that have an RJ45 connection such as:
    http://www.peats.com/cgi-bin/test_new/catalog.cgi?view_product=1&id=20077

You can get a wireless adapter for your computer such as the one below. It plugs in via USB:
    http://www.peats.com/cgi-bin/test_new/catalog.cgi?view_product=1&id=8353

• Registered Users Posts: 1,391 ✭✭✭fatherdougalmag

If you buy a wireless router you will still be able to connect your PC to it with a cable (instead of connecting your PC directly to the broadband modem as you do now).

In case you don't frequent the Bargain Alerts or Aldi websites, you might be interested in this. You might be in luck. (It's been taken off the Aldi site but you still might pick one up).

Advertisement