Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Broadband in Terenure

Options
  • 11-08-2007 4:46pm
    Registered Users Posts: 1,735 ✭✭✭

I'm moving house to Terenure (Dublin 6w) and am just wondering which would be the best ISP to go with. I've been with Magnet (broadband only) for the past year, and while I have no complaints about their service, i would like to get some more bang for my buck, as it were. I'm currently paying 30 euro a month for 2 meg BB as well as 30 euro line rental from Eircom.

I have browsed through this forum but I can't really work out what I should go for. I use the landline phone every now and again, but not too much, though I would like to keep it. I wanted to go with Smart but they don't service the Terenure exchange. I was thinking maybe BT? I have seen that a lot of people have issues with them though. I'm not sure about wireless too. It seems that IBB Breeze and Digiweb et al have a bit of a bad rep when it comes to speed.

My requirements are:
    Fast BB for torrents, gaming, music, etc
    A fixed line for phone calls(unless wireless has some great advantage over it)
    Good download limit
    I don't really want to pay more than I am currently paying, though in and around 60euro would be great.

thanks in advance,
    Karl.

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 394 ✭✭tak

BT don't do the Terenure area according to their line-check.
    Look at the attached Digiweb Terenure Services.

Wireless is the best value for web. Installation is included if you pay year 1 amount up front.
    Look at Metro Value package.
    Their phone is line-rental free but not free for the calls after the 90 mins per month of national calls. This is just 3 mins national calls per day and maybe a sub-one minute call is rounded up. You'll surely go over this even if you only do calls in Ireland - then you are into the paid calls.
    Look at the Digiweb rates yourself -
    http://www.digiweb.ie/pdf/phone.pdf
    esp. the footnote
    Digiweb has a 6.35c minimum call charge on all calls. Rate per second apply 6 sec after phone call starts. All prices are cent per minute inclusive of VAT at 21%.

I'd advise a VoIP onto your internet as this would only be €10 per month, including the 01 number, e.g. Freedom Basic on page
    http://www.blueface.ie/purchase/plans.aspx

So for your 2 Mbps you would have to make an up-front payment of ~ €360 to avoid the €99 installation charge, then €29.95 per month after year 1.
    The VoIP phone will cost around €50 for the ATA and a €10 per month for 300 mins of calls to 20 countries.
    Works out around €40 per month in all.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,735 ✭✭✭pinksoir

Thanks for the detailed reply. I did a lne check for BT and it says that the terenure area is serviced.

Is digiweb any good though? What is the contention ratio like? Download speeds? I'd rather pay more for a qualty service. I've read that wireless can be very touch and go wth connection speeds.

It's a pain that Smart don't service the terenure area. A real pain.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 394 ✭✭tak

Before any installation is commenced Digiweb will do a free reception quality test on the roof of your house.
    That - as well as your own enquiries with neighbours living in homes with these white diamond antennas on them - should assure you there.
    Don't put Digiweb wireless into the same category as Irish Broadband !

It is a pain that Smart aren't available to everyone. But they - and all services based on existing phone lines or (you should be so lucky!) f/optic cabling - are balloxed by the line-rental charge imposed by Eircom.
    The Wirelessboys don't impose this false charge on you.

Yes - seems some D6W Terenure numbers have access to BT but some others do not.
    If you already know the phone number of the house you're going to and you have verified availability on that then great.
    If you have the money to spend on this then well and good.
    BT Talk package might suit if your calls go no further than UK.

At least you have a choice. And it can't be too long before the refinanced Smart show up in Terenure.

Advertisement