Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

GP recommendation/blood test

Options
  • 11-08-2007 6:19pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 311 ✭✭

My mother recently went for a blood test to check whether she had coeliac disease. I know it can be difficult to detect with only a blood test.

Her GP told her the test was bordering between positive and negative and never gave her the print out of the results. Is it normal practice among Irish GPs not to give patients the results so they can examine them. If it's not, could someone please point me in the direction of a clinic/GP that does comprehensive blood tests and also offers detailed feedback. Thanks.

PS: Anywhere in Cork city is good, as is in suburbs such as Bishopstown or Ballincollig.

Comments

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 4,708 Mod ✭✭✭✭Tree

Examining the results wont make the result more definitive. most gp's dont hand out the results because the average person doenst have the background nessecary to interpret the results. if you ask your gp nicely, im sure they would go through the results in the surgery for you.

the standard diagnosis for coeliac disease covers a number of factors, not just a blood test. im sure your gp can give more information.

if you're looking for a new gp in the bishopstown area, fidelma corcoran is quite nice. in ballincollig i have heard good things about pat lee and nick flynn.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 311 ✭✭lola_run

Tree wrote:
    Examining the results wont make the result more definitive. most gp's dont hand out the results because the average person doenst have the background nessecary to interpret the results. if you ask your gp nicely, im sure they would go through the results in the surgery for you.

the standard diagnosis for coeliac disease covers a number of factors, not just a blood test. im sure your gp can give more information.

if you're looking for a new gp in the bishopstown area, fidelma corcoran is quite nice. in ballincollig i have heard good things about pat lee and nick flynn.

thanks for that. :-)

it's funny that you say the average person won't understand... I think that's bull****. Normally the results give what the average is so that's a good measurement.

In most continental european countries, patients are always given the results by GPs. It's standard practice.

Advertisement