Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Nice PR there...

• 11-08-2007 6:33pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 11,909 ✭✭✭✭

Okay I'm pretty annoyed at something. I stuck on the news last night and an item came on about the viking longboat that was making the original trip from scandinavia to Ireland. Turns out it made it's first port of call in our very own Clogherhead.
    Who knew? Who bothered to try and tell us or forewarn us? I see they got a small crowd out to welcome them ashore, but TBH a lot more could and should have been made of this.
    Now I listen to local radio a fair bit and didn't hear anything much about it before it happened, likewise nothing really in the papers past the fact that there actually was a longboat on it's way here.
    As someone who takes a passing interest in historical items and loves the sea, I'd have happily headed down to the 'head and would have encouraged others to do so too. Failte Ireland, Louth County Council/Enterprise board and anyone else who should be making much of events like this should be ashamed of themselves for being so apparently tight lipped about the whole thing...

Anyway end of rant. If you work with or for any of the above entities, perhaps you'd be inclined to tell us why yit wasn't seen fit to advertise this event a bit more heavily. Or you could point me to a litany of promotional material, lenghty TV ad campagins, mail drops and a bebo page on the whole event and make me eat my words...

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,909 ✭✭✭europerson

Yes, there was a disgraceful lack of publicity about this. I work in what could be termed the history sector, and I didn't know until yesterday, when someone told me he had heard it on the radio.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,235 ✭✭✭lucernarian

Absolutely true Wertz, I was about the gaffe yesterday and could have easily made the 6 mile journey to see the longboat. What sort of muppets would give up promoting an occasion like that?? LMFM could do with a text/email or two for sure...

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 18,272 ✭✭✭✭Atomic Pineapple

info@failteireland.ie

info@louthcoco.ie

info@lceb.ie

complain directly first aswell as sending your concerns to lmfm, i know people from lmfm read boards too so maybe they'll come across this :D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 11,909 ✭✭✭✭Wertz

Not a bad idea, sound of stable doors swinging shut though, really.
    I'll bet it's entrance to Dublin harbour will have a lot more fanfare made....and since both Dubliners and malahidians (?) were informed on the Six One piece on friday evening, they'll gte a big turn out.

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 10,435 Mod ✭✭✭✭Mr Magnolia

When did it arrive/leave Clougher? I may have visited it myself.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Category Moderators, Education Moderators Posts: 27,240 CMod ✭✭✭✭spurious

Their GPS showed them as in the Broadmeadow Estuary in Malahide yesterday,
    it still shows it as there,
    so my elderly mother made the trek out, only to find out after almost an hour walking around, that the boat was not where the satellite said it was and was instead over near the Marina and not close enough to take any photos.

I suspect they're not too keen on anyone going near it and want all the big fuss to be when it goes up the river, but all round it's been a bit of a damp squib. They don't even regularly update their 'special' website.

Edit**
    Their GPS is currently showing them in the middle of Capel Street. I think something may have been dropped on the floor.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,694 ✭✭✭Dingatron

Mrs Dingatron and the daughters Dingatron were at this in Clogherhead. I know she knew about it a week or so before the event or so but no idea where she heard about it?

Advertisement