Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Career options...

• 11-08-2007 6:39pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 668 ✭✭✭

Hi all,
    I am fourteen and planning on persuing a career in aviation when I leave school, I live only a mile from Galway airport, but any job requiring a class 1 medical is not possible due to eyesight problems, I was thinking of Air Traffic Control but I am not sure about the medical requirements for it, any help on this would be greatly appreciated,

Thanks,
    Darragh.
    EDIT: I have a lot of Flight sim X experience if that helps at all.

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,248 ✭✭✭Plug

I don't mean to burst your bubble, i wouldn't think theres a job there because of your eye sight(probly colour blindness if im right). Even car machanics require to pass an eye test and ATC will probly be the same with all the different colours on the screen in front of them but maybe im wrong.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 668 ✭✭✭ch252

no, its not colour blindness, its a 3-d vision problem, I can be a mechanic and my eyesight is sufficient for atc or a ppl, just not an atpl or cpl,

Darragh.

• Moderators, Education Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators Posts: 7,396 Mod ✭✭✭✭**Timbuk2**

Are you sure that your eyesight isn't enough for the flying courses? Or are you just guessing?

I know that they aren't as strict about eye sight as much as they were. But that only means that they'll allow you to fly once your eyesight is ok while wearing glasses. I'm not sure about the condition you have

I'm about to start my commericial pilot training, so I've done the start bits. Flight Simulator doesn't make a difference, everyone starts at the same place. You'll learn about as much as you did from Flight Simulator in a day or two. But keep up the Flight Simulator anyway, good way to keep the flying hobby up until you get to really fly

I'm not sure on the details, but maybe you will be allowed to fly just in your leisure time, rather than as a commericial pilot, where you have to be perfect to fly

• Registered Users Posts: 280 ✭✭Sn@kebite

I'm not sure on the details, but maybe you will be allowed to fly just in your leisure time, rather than as a commericial pilot, where you have to be perfect to fly
    What about flying for DHL,UPS or FedEx? Would you need to be as skillful for those as you would for flying human passengers around the world.
    I hear most pilots who fly people around start in cargo planes to build up their hours.

Are you sure that your eyesight isn't enough for the flying courses? Or are you just guessing?
    Yes im sure, I was told that by an optician, I cannot pass a class 1 medical, but class 2 and class 3 is fine.

As for the cargo flying, I will definitely look into it, I have a cousin who is just after moving from aer lingus to cargo flying so ill ask him.

Thanks,

Darragh.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Education Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators Posts: 7,396 Mod ✭✭✭✭**Timbuk2**

I don't think that cargo is much different from passengers in flying terms. When you're flying, it's all the same, whether you have passengers, cargo, or both

I'm not 100% sure about the cargo situation though

• Closed Accounts Posts: 476 ✭✭cp251

Sn@kebite wrote:
    What about flying for DHL,UPS or FedEx? Would you need to be as skillful for those as you would for flying human passengers around the world.
    I hear most pilots who fly people around start in cargo planes to build up their hours.

There is no difference in the skills required. The only difference is that the cargo doesn't get drunk and start hassling the cabin crew.

You can start a career in cargo or finish it in cargo or fly cargo all you life. Usually as a pilot you take the first job you are offered and then move on to better paid flying or better hours.

Most pilots start flying smaller aircraft or as instructors then move on to the airlines, whether cargo or passenger.

As for Darragh bear in mind that eyesight for the class 1 is measured 'corrected'. In other words if you wear glasses and reach the standard (within limitations) you can get a class 1. Remember as pilots get older their eyesight deteriorates and they have to wear glasses to fly.

Flight sim experience counts for nothing. It's a game after all. Good for gaining some familiarity. But remember everyone has flight sims these days, so no advantage there.

I think you need to pass a class 1 medical to be ATC. I'm not sure. The British require a class 1 definitely. The IAA follow the same standard.

That kind of cuts your options, I'm afraid. Aer Arann are setting up a maintenance base in Galway, so maybe you might think of becoming an maintenance Engineer. It's possible to sign up as an apprentice or go to college for a couple of years, usually in England to get trained for your licence.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 88 ✭✭Garthicus

Don't forget that Lasic is not always accepted internationally either!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,470 ✭✭✭highlydebased

Cargo is the same as flying pax. There is no comprimise. You have the same license. Its just the stuff in the back that is different!

Have you checked the situation out regarding officially what licenses you are entitled to?

Flight Dispatcher would also be an interesting one.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,213 ✭✭✭✭therecklessone

cp251 wrote:

I think you need to pass a class 1 medical to be ATC. I'm not sure. The British require a class 1 definitely. The IAA follow the same standard.

Class 3 medical for ATC.

• Advertisement

Class 3 medical for ATC.
    and would I be right for thinking that a class 3 would be less intense than class 2? I can pass a class 2 with no problem.

Thanks,

Darragh.

• Registered Users Posts: 794 ✭✭✭electric69

darragh-k wrote:
    and would I be right for thinking that a class 3 would be less intense than class 2? I can pass a class 2 with no problem.

Thanks,

Darragh.

yep thats right.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 22 backdraft102

Check out www.iaa.ie for the application form. Computerised test in Dublin in Septmeber.

Johmo.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,350 ✭✭✭WexCan

For info, NATS in the UK require an old CAA Class 1 medical (as opposed to the JAA Class 1). The old CAA standards are actually more restrictive.

Advertisement