Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Advice needed on EBay camper purchase

• 11-08-2007 7:15pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 2

I'd like to buy a camper van & considering to purchase from UK. Any idea what the VRT duty is on camper vans? Does it differ much fom Commercial Vehicle or how is it worked out?

I had my eye on a converted VW 2.4 TDI. I tried to look up the rates for road tax but a bit confused on category (private,commercial or motorhome?) and applicable rate. €820 a year(private vehicle) seems pretty steep!

Any help would be much apreciated!

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,819 ✭✭✭✭peasant

In the case of a VW camper (under three tons unladen weight) the VRT is 13.5% of the open market selling price. The OMSP is determined by the VRT main office in Rosslare and can be found out in advance through your local VRT office on request. Expect it to be steep.

Road tax for a camper is 78 Euro per year.

The thorny issue here may be the definition of camper ...or as officialdom calls them "motorcaravans".

It has to have a fixed sink, a cooker with no less than two rings and an interior height of 6 foot/180 cm (depending on your sources).

I have heard of people becoming unstuck on the interior height issue, especially with foldable high roofs.

If it doesn't make the "motorcaravan" grade then motortax will be what you mentioned and VRT will be 30%.

Best thing to do is take all the information you can gather about your potential purchase (including pictures) and wander down to your local VRT office and get them to quote you a price and evaluation (in writing!) before you commit to buying.

This way there won't be a surprise at the end and you know what's coming.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2 Bluefin5

thanks a mill for the info Peasant- much appreciated! Makes the whole process a lot clearer for me...

I'm gonna print off some pics as you advised and visit the VRT office this week to see what they have to say...

Advertisement