Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Dreaming of a dead loved one

Options
  • 11-08-2007 7:27pm
    Registered Users Posts: 74 ✭✭

I have been having vivid dreams of my best friend who died nearly a year ago, these dreams range in frequency from once a week to 3-4 times a week.
    The dreams take up different situations/locations and range from how he died to why he decided to die, along with me saving him or him coming back from the dead.

It may seem strange to some people but I love these dreams even though they remind me of the saddest and most painful time of my life. I feel like I am closer to him, I get to talk to him and just be around him in these dreams.

The more dreams I have the more I want to believe that I am actually in contact with him. I am not holy and I do not believe in the paranormal though my mind is open to possibilities.

In a recent dream it all got so real and I was able to keep myself asleep even though my body tried to wake me up(confused as to how I did this?, first time I've ever been able to keep myself dreaming). He was telling me something important (an answer to an undying question in my head) when my mind tried to wake me up (like in a nightmare when things get too much) but I fought it off and kept the dream going, when I woke up I could remember the dream very well all except the answer that I kept myself dreaming for.

Anyone know what to make of all this? Anyone have similar experiences with lost loved ones?

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 699 ✭✭✭aoife2k

Hello!

I've had similar dreams about my father. He died 2 weeks before my Junior Cert in 2001..i was 15.

A few months after he died I was goin up to dublin to play a gig in my friends school where she taught. Did the gig etc, went shopping all the usual stuff us country ones do when we get to the Big Smoke. A week or two after the trip we recieved our JC results. I got what ever many A's B's C's etc....

That night I had a dream about being back in Dublin, in RiverIsland in Arnotts I think...anyway, my dream was me standing looking up at the stairs leading down with a 'tramp' (like the typical cartoon tramp with the stick over his shoulder and the bag on the end) coming down the stairs. Next thing I know, he comes over to me and says ' well done on your results'. As he was approaching me I knew he was a stranger but I felt like I knew him aswell. It was a representation of my father and it gave me great belief (after just losing him) that he was around me and looking over me.

I have these dreams maybe once a month but never more frequent than that. I had another dream about him the night before his 1st Anniversary Mass. Because my mum and I were busy gettin food ready, gettin the house ready, tryin to count how many people would be coming to the house it was like a party and I dreamt that we were preparing for him 'returning' after spending a year away. I woke up whimpering and sobbing as I thought, that was such an unfair dream to have and I was extremely cross. Not at my dad but at my concious, my dream.

I've had a few dreams about him like that where it's like he's coming back but then i wake up. I DO believe that when we're dreaming about loved ones we've lost that they are with us, communicating with us and comforting us. Letting us know that they're not so far out of reach.

Take comfort in these dreams don't question them, embrace them.

(sorry for the long post)

• Registered Users Posts: 4,007 ✭✭✭pretty-in-pink

My friend sometimes visits me to, and I know its actually him, cause I can talk to him and touch him and stuff. He helps me when I feel bad, or when I am confused. I love those dreams, he had a sudden death, adn its like i can still have a conversation with him when I'm asleep.

Embrace the dreams, enjoy them, cherish them. Its you're friend coming to talk to you.

Last one i had I told my friend that I'd thought I had a crush on him, and that we used to ge ton really well, that he was on my wave length and knew the right things to say.
    He said he knew I had had a bit of a crush on him, don't know what else he said, but we hugged, and I woke up feeling so secure and relaxed. Like I used to after talking to him.

Advertisement