Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Clipless pedals-worth buying?

Options
  • 11-08-2007 7:34pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 19,986 ✭✭✭✭

Own a Trek 1200 road bike and generally go for 50km-60km cycles at a fastish pace with no rests on Saturdays and Sundays.
    Most of the route is on main roads and the cycle lane along Clontarf so I pass very few traffic lights so there's very little stopping and starting.

The pedals have straps on them and yes I fell off a few times in the first two weeks at traffic lights, usually falling in slow motion as I came to a stop:o

Are clipless pedals worth buying and would they save energy? I'm pretty tired after 60km and hope to do 100km some day. Also, I push the bike up Howth Hill so would cycling shoes be slippery and would I damage them walking on roads?

My usual store (Wheelworx, Clondakin) quoted me €50 for pedals and €120 for shoes. Both shimano products which seem to be a good brand but the shoes are a bit too expensive for me.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 7,276 ✭✭✭kenmc

I just made the jump to clipless after years of clips. The difference is quite dramatic, as you can pull as well as push. also your feet don't tend to get as sore as they do if you tighten the clips onto them.
    I got a pair of Shimano M75 for 70 euro in cycle superstore, they're "mountain bike" shoes in that they have some rubber bits on the bottom which are good for walking in. They might be suitable for you.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 882 ✭✭✭cunnins4

I just made the transition too. Well worth it. The pull effect really is quite dramatic. Even with straps i never pulled up a hill and unclipping becomes second nature. I've only done 200k with them so far, but they're great and i'm very used to them already.

I got my pedals (shimano 105) and shimano shoes for €120 all in in cycleogical on the quays. They're SPD-SL pedals, but AFAIK a lot of people prefer KEO Look type pedals, but i'm only new to them so i can't really comment. All i know is that i really prefer them to straps. I still have straps on my mtb that i use for commuting, and only for funds are tight at the moment i'd get a second set of pedals for that.

As for slipping going up the hill, they're okay for walking in, but i think you can buy covers for the cleats to stop them wearing down.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,699 ✭✭✭ThOnda

I had SPDs for 10.000 km on my MTB. Never a problem, wonderful comfort of shoes with solid base, no problems with getting out.
    And I think that they are essential on the road - they can improve smoothness of your peddaling.
    If the shoes fit your feet, you have won!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 882 ✭✭✭cunnins4

Ya see, this is the problem with something like having your feet attached to your pedals: Today i post up saying "ah they're great, not a bother" thinking to myself, "my, my, i haven't had a fall in them yet"..... needless to say what happened on my spin tonight.

Only bruised my ego and smashed my mp3 player. Stupid ole one on a roundabout in the phoenix park was going really slow and i was trying to stay balanced until i could enter the roundabout but nope, she took too long and over i went.

Damn it. I read here before "EVERYONE has a story of falling over with clipless pedals" and i was certain i wouldn't. :o

• Registered Users Posts: 911 ✭✭✭crashoveroid

Go Off and get your self a good set of time pedals best on the market. the float is the best on them

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,886 ✭✭✭beans

Second the Time pedal recommendation. I use Time Atac with Specialized MTB shoes, very happy to have made the switch from straps.

In case you're wondering what would happen if you were in a big crash, in my experience you clip out as you're being thrown into the road, so don't worry about your foot being left behind or anything.

• Registered Users Posts: 15,989 ✭✭✭✭blorg

Definately get them, they make a phenomenal difference. SPD/mountain bike type rather than road would be best for you if you envisage doing any walking in them at all (I have SPD on my road bike myself.)

• Registered Users Posts: 6,501 ✭✭✭daymobrew

I have a pair of Specialized Sport MTB shoes that I use with SPD cleats. My Specialized Rockhopper came with SPD pedals. Brilliant. I will never go back.
    Only fallen off once, right at the start. Now I unclip a little early when I approach a hazard or situation where I may need to put my foot down.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,737 ✭✭✭Bluefoam

daymobrew wrote:
    I have a pair of Specialized Sport MTB shoes that I use with SPD cleats. My Specialized Rockhopper came with SPD pedals. Brilliant. I will never go back.
    Only fallen off once, right at the start. Now I unclip a little early when I approach a hazard or situation where I may need to put my foot down.

I got those shoes and wore them for the first time last weekend. They were very comfortable (even considering the amount of walking i did). However they don't give any protection from water, which is okay now, but won't be so good in the cold weather.

Have you found the same?

Regarding water protection, I would suggest a pair of overshoes. I used standard cheapish BBB ones over the last winter and my shoes never got a drop of water near them. They work unbelievably well.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 6,501 ✭✭✭daymobrew

Bluefoam wrote:
    I got those shoes and wore them for the first time last weekend. They were very comfortable (even considering the amount of walking i did). However they don't give any protection from water, which is okay now, but won't be so good in the cold weather.

Have you found the same?
    Like blorg, I bought overshoes. Keep the feet warm too. About 30 euro for some Altura overshoes in Cycle Superstore. They velcro behind the heel and have a nice big vertical reflective strip there too.

Not sure how useful overshoes would be in the mountains as I would often put my foot down in deep water - crossed Brocagh at the weekend which involved a lot of bog hpping... not sure overshoes would deal with that.

I'm not an off-road rider, but before I got the overshoes I had been considering a pair of Northwave Goretex boots in Cycleways which are apparently waterproof.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,481 ✭✭✭Morgan

Bluefoam wrote:
    Not sure how useful overshoes would be in the mountains as I would often put my foot down in deep water - crossed Brocagh at the weekend which involved a lot of bog hpping... not sure overshoes would deal with that.

Bluefoam - once you get the fitness sorted out you'll never have to dab again :).

However, just in case, I've found Sealskinz socks to be great last winter. you can stand in several inches of water and your feet stay totally dry.

http://www.sealskinz.com/

• Registered Users Posts: 32,381 ✭✭✭✭rubadub

Morgan wrote:
    However, just in case, I've found Sealskinz socks to be great last winter. you can stand in several inches of water and your feet stay totally dry.

http://www.sealskinz.com/

Where did you get them Morgan? Do your feet sweat much in them.

Might get a pair, for cycling, but for slane too!

EDIT, I see them on ebay and chainreactioncycles now

• Registered Users Posts: 2,481 ✭✭✭Morgan

I got mine in the Great Outdoors - I prefer to be able to try them on before buying.

I only wear them in the winter to keep the icy water out, so sweat isn't a problem. In warm/wet weather like we're having now I wouldn't bother wearing them.

Great idea Morgan, I'll get a pair of them...

BTW, nice idea to go the wrong way up the sleepers in G.O.D, will have to get up there and test the SPD's over some jumps. I hear Kindlestown is in a jock at the moment though.

• Registered Users Posts: 32,381 ✭✭✭✭rubadub

I prefer to be able to try them on before buying.
    I got the really light ones on CRC, hopefully they will fit OK, socks should be more forgiving than shoes.

I have to wear cotton socks, and usually sweat a bit. You can get stuff in chemists called perspirex and drychlor. It is aluminum chloride which is used in regular anti perspirants, but much more concentrated. You put it on bone dry feet/underarms and you are protected for weeks without reapplication.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,886 ✭✭✭beans

aluminum chloride

Sounds like a health-hazard right there :)

"Aluminium chloride
    Health Rating: 3 - Severe (Poison)
    Flammability Rating: 0 - None
    Reactivity Rating: 3 - Severe (Water Reactive)
    Contact Rating: 3 - Severe (Corrosive)
    Lab Protective Equip: GOGGLES; LAB COAT; PROPER GLOVES "

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,038 ✭✭✭penexpers

Thread hijack: does anyone know anywhere in town that sells the Time Atac AS pedals? What time does Cyclelogical close at?

• Advertisement

penexpers wrote:
    Thread hijack: does anyone know anywhere in town that sells the Time Atac AS pedals? What time does Cyclelogical close at?
    Cycleways have the Attack XE, on their site but I know nothing about road bikes so not sure if its relevant...

http://www.cycleways.com/store/product/26780/Time-Atac-XE/

Yeah I got the Atac XE in Cycleways this morning. going to give them a lash when I go home. The XS was also very tempting, they seem to be more adjustable.

penexpers wrote:
    Yeah I got the Atac XE in Cycleways this morning. going to give them a lash when I go home. The XS was also very tempting, they seem to be more adjustable.

Woah. I used to use Shinamo pedals but the Time Atac ones are in a league of their own. Clipping in and out is like a dream compared to trying to get in and out of my old Shinamo's. I highly recommend that anyone thinking about clipless buy themselves a pair of Time Atac XE/XS.

What's different about them? i find the spds pretty simple to get into.

Effort required mainly. I always found that getting into my (admittedly bottom of the range) Shinamo pedals required a good push down, and getting out required a good push to the side, and this was with the tension set to the lowest setting. With the Time Atac XE/XS, the cleat literally glides in and out of the pedal, requiring minimal effort, but at the same time, when you're clipped in it feels totally secure.

I got an expensive pair of Simano's & they are easy peasy to clip in/out of. Although I know a couple of people who have been though a few sets trying to find a good pair.

For instance these are great: http://www.cyclesuperstore.ie/shop/pc/viewPrd.asp?idcategory=122&idproduct=4260

But these ain't supposed to be much good: http://www.cyclesuperstore.ie/shop/pc/viewPrd.asp?idcategory=122&idproduct=4256

Even though they both look identical...

i see.
    I have these
    http://www.cyclesuperstore.ie/shop/pc/viewPrd.asp?idcategory=122&idproduct=4259
    and usually get in first time. in fact sometimes I even get in when I don't want to - unclip, and put my foot back on the pedal coming to lights and i hear them click again DOH! and have not fallen down yet trying to unclip..
    yet.... maybe i'll take the car in the morning now after jinxing myself :)

Advertisement